Speculation: Much Ado About Kovy: Staying in Russia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Kovalchuk only had 1 season in the NHL after the 2012 season, and he had a much better PPG that season than Thornton had last year.

But that's beyond the point, you only score 7 goals (with some empty netters) you are a nobody compared to Kovalchuk.

Like, a 50 point player compared to a multiple time 50 goal scorer? What next, will Pavel Zacha outscore Connor McDavid next year?

Stop it

Kovalchuk hasn't scored 50 goals in a decade. Do I need to dig up other events, happenings and number 1 songs and TV shows from the last year that Kovalchuk scored 50 goals?

And PPG in the KHL isn't the same as the NHL. Scoring 78 points in 60 games in the KHL isn't indicative of scoring 78 points in 60 games in the NHL.

We've been over this before in regards to your hero, which continue to fall on blind eyes.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
lol if you think Thornton would outscore Kovalchuk next season

just lol

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
lol if you think Thornton would outscore Kovalchuk next season

just lol

Maybe, maybe not.

As of this offseason though, Thornton is a more proven commodity and better than Kovalchuk at the NHL level by default.

And a 29 year old Kovalchuk in 12-13 outscored a 37 year old Thornton (who has been in the league 19 years) in 16-17? That's supposed to shock me? Guess what, he didn't outscore Thornton during the 12-13 season though.

Thornton has been in the league for 20 years, he could be hitting a steep decline, he could plateau and just have another 50 point season. Who knows?

I'm fairly confident in saying that Kovalchuk would not have produced as many points between 2013 and 2017 as Thornton has. Even if he did outscore him somewhere during one of those seasons.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Balance's Kovy crush is bordering on cult level at this point. I think Kovy could come back and be fairly productive, but man give it a rest. He's not the hockey god you insist on portraying.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Balance's Kovy crush is bordering on cult level at this point. I think Kovy could come back and be fairly productive, but man give it a rest. He's not the hockey god you insist on portraying.

He's a lot better than this board wants to admit

I just want to speak the truth about how good he was and what he meant to this franchise even for the short time he was here

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He's a lot better than this board wants to admit

I just want to speak the truth about how good he was and what he meant to this franchise even for the short time he was here

I think he's a 50-60 point player per 82 games in the NHL.

He could have a season where he produces more than that, but I believe that will be an over-achievement if he scores anything more than that and likely won't do it perennially or even repeat it the next year.

I think he over-achieved in the KHL last year. Just compare last years production to his 3 prior years in the KHL.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If the reports of how much he wanted were actually true, he may have priced himself out of the league before anyone serious inquired.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Depends if Kovy is willing to take an incentive laden deal too; perhaps centered around games played.

Right, but those are 1 year deals - I'm saying if he needs a multi-year deal at a high cost to return, he won't ever be back.

Kovalchuk's production in the KHL will crater without Shipachev and Dadonov. He'll go back to being the point a game guy he was in the previous 3 years.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
If the reports of how much he wanted were actually true, he may have priced himself out of the league before anyone serious inquired.

The article rightly points out that any demands he had weren't going to go well with teams focused on the expansion draft on top of cap issues.

By the time July 1st rolled around teams were focused on more known quantities.

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago

His comeback attempt was about as sucessful as this shootout.....good riddence, go rot in Russia for a year and beg a team next year to take you on. Literally all the guy had to do was temper his ego and take a one year contract and he didnt :laugh:

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Kovalchuk was the center piece of that KHL team, thats the reason he led the team and captained the team to 2 cups in 3 years while leading in scoring

To give you a compareable he outpointed Panarin by a lot before Panarin had 2 70 pt seasons.

Just like Kovalchuk dominated 2012 is he how he dominated in the KHL last season, 2nd in league scoring.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Kovalchuk was the center piece of that KHL team, thats the reason he led the team and captained the team to 2 cups in 3 years while leading in scoring

To give you a compareable he outpointed Panarin by a lot before Panarin had 2 70 pt seasons.

Just like Kovalchuk dominated 2012 is he how he dominated in the KHL last season, 2nd in league scoring.

So what about 2010 and 2013?

Im a huge fan of Kovys but my god you cannot hide his flaws. The way you talk about him it sounds like he is on Crosbys level.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Thornton is a career playoff choker, don't compare him to Kovalchuk

I've made a bunch of posts calling Thornton a playoff choker, but there were complete sarcasm, much like my ''Shero is lying through his teeth'' post in this thread. Although there have been times that I've been annoyed with Thornton and held a long belief that the Sharks wouldn't win a cup with that core, after they blew it in 2010 and 2011.

If you're really gonna blame Thornton's teams for flaming out in the playoffs, then it's fair to blame Kovalchuk's NHL teams for not making the playoffs for 8 of the 11 years he played in the league.

I don't think it's fair to blame Kovalchuk for that, but essentially what you're saying is that it's okay to blame him for that if it's okay to blame Thornton (or Ovechkin) for his teams always under-achieving in the playoffs. What's fair is fair here.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN

He outscored a 22 year old? WOW color me impressed.

Did he lead the team in +/- too? I mean lead them in negative...

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Kovalchuk took a pretty average team to new heights in both the 2011 and 2012 season

2013 the team went 0-10 without Kovy, thats why they missed the playoffs along with Brodeurs injury

There are no holes to Kovalchuk when he was here. He only didn't produce with Maclean, who is the worst coach in NHL history

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Kovalchuk took a pretty average team to new heights in both the 2011 and 2012 season

2013 the team went 0-10 without Kovy, thats why they missed the playoffs along with Brodeurs injury

There are no holes to Kovalchuk when he was here. He only didn't produce with Maclean, who is the worst coach in NHL history

:laugh:

You funny guy. Every player has holes - even Gretzky, Howe, Orr, etc. They would even tell you that.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County

His comeback attempt was about as sucessful as this shootout.....good riddence, go rot in Russia for a year and beg a team next year to take you on. Literally all the guy had to do was temper his ego and take a one year contract and he didnt :laugh:

I was at this game. IIRC someone threw their jersey over the glass after this. What a pathetic attempt. I will however say Kovalchuk was one of if not the most entertaining players I've ever seen wear a Devils jersey. Every shift he was a threat and when he had the puck you genuinely thought he was going to wow you somehow. Regardless, screw him and I can't wait until this thread is closed and we don't talk about it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->