MTS Centre upgrades - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

eepruls

Jan 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
It seems nobody read to the end of the Sun article. It says that TNSE is spending $8 million this summer to replace seat cushions and to replace the railings and bars throughout the building with seamless glass. So what they did here at the bottom of the two loge staircases is just a start.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It seems nobody read to the end of the Sun article. It says that TNSE is spending $8 million this summer to replace seat cushions and to replace the railings and bars throughout the building with seamless glass. So what they did here at the bottom of the two loge staircases is just a start.
It says where code allows. I doubt the railings that I can't see thru will change. We are almost certain to relocate to 319, 3 rows higher but hope to see the whole ice.
Thx repoman for response.

Sabadecade

Die Hard Jets Fan
May 25, 2012
Winnipeg MB
okay i mean thats not bad

but does it really help this guy?

jets_view-700x400.jpg

this wouldnt even be a problem if they didnt cheap out in the first place and ran the seemless right to the staire cases instead of reusing the existing rails

Maybe we will see this on the off season

Personally, I think that picture was taken from the person's lap. Also most of the railings in that picture were there previous years, not to mention that it used to be wire mesh below the lower bar. One could argue that it was still an overall improvement even with the addition of the loges.

picture.php

Regardless, I would have expected that there was no metal edge on that glass they replaced the mesh with. It was missing when I went for the loge preview but then added by the first preseason game. IMHO, they should take that off. It would greatly improve the line of sight. See picture below...

picture.php

Perhaps they are banking on the extra 2in. of seat cushion to compensate?

Hence the "Wait and see" approach people are going with.

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
Anyone have any updates of the seats or anything? I know it's early but reupholstering 15,000 seats is a pretty big job

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
That would be a pretty big job. I wonder if they'll just get new seat bottoms and it'll be a simple swap instead.

seemed like they were reupholstering and replacing the cushions. but i dunno you might be right?

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
On his last radio interview on 1290, Chipman said all seats will be replaced with blue seats to match the Jets's/modern Moose colours. He also said the lobby area and MTS centre in general will have a stronger Jets brand presence. I'm not sure if this will be for this season or a future season.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Soooooooooo this is extremely trivial and unimportant, but what happened to that flashing spotlight over the net when the jets scored or won a game? That looked cool but i don't know where it went.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHIpO-wwTvo

Now that you mention it, I do remember the flashing spotlight. I can't say I've really missed it or noticed that it was gone. Too busy high fiving and hollering when the Jets score, I guess... :)

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Now that you mention it, I do remember the flashing spotlight. I can't say I've really missed it or noticed that it was gone. Too busy high fiving and hollering when the Jets score, I guess... :)

Haha I bet :P I notice and appreciate the lighting effects each of the arenas have that make them unique. Sometimes I wish we had more but I guess it's really not that important and maybe most people don't care.

Oilkountry

Apr 30, 2015
Haha I bet :P I notice and appreciate the lighting effects each of the arenas have that make them unique. Sometimes I wish we had more but I guess it's really not that important and maybe most people don't care.

we have a scoreboard that lights up a giant jets logo :yo:

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
we have a scoreboard that lights up a giant jets logo :yo:

Haha wooooo guess that's all we need :P I live in calgary and have only been to the mts centre once, and that was as a 9 year old going to a moose game 12 years ago (I still remember we won 7-4) so all I know is pretty much what I see on Tv.

thexfactor82

May 25, 2016
Anyone have any idea if they are going to be installing seamless glass in the lower bowl as well? I'm guessing their intention is to fix the issues with site lines caused by the lodge seating and not improve site lines for seats in the lower bowl.

Case in point...exhibit A

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Has there been any updates to the renovations at the Ice Plex?

Will it be ready for Jets' Prospects Camp?

The project started last september and was scheduled to take 48 weeks to complete. Unless it's ahead of schedule it won't be ready in early July.

Last time I was at the iceplex was to watch the U18 games in april. It appeared the construction had progressed nicely. Totally enclosed. No idea how the inside work looked.

BTW. Construction had zero impact on the operation of the iceplex other than the reduction in paved parking spaces

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
The project started last september and was scheduled to take 48 weeks to complete. Unless it's ahead of schedule it won't be ready in early July.

Last time I was at the iceplex was to watch the U18 games in april. It appeared the construction had progressed nicely. Totally enclosed. No idea how the inside work looked.

BTW. Construction had zero impact on the operation of the iceplex other than the reduction in paved parking spaces

Thanks for the update!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad