Confirmed with Link: MTL/WSH/CHI Lars Eller for two 2nd round picks. Two 2nd round picks for Andrew Shaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2010
Shaw is more versatile, but is it worth downgrading from high and mid 2nds to likely low 2nds from Washington? Probably not.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
After the season ended, Blackhawks coach Joel Quenneville said restricted free agent Andrew Shaw is an “irreplaceable†kind of player.

“He brings so much to the table that you appreciate,†Quenneville said in April. “His competitiveness. His willingness to find the dirty areas, score big goals doesn’t get distracted by the competition. I think everybody loves that feistiness I think he brings every game. So he’s an irreplaceable guy in that regard.â€

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Don't like it.

Get lesser picks, get more expensive, get less skill...

Are Shaw's "intangibles" worth all of those down grades?

Not to mention it means, barring another trade, DD is a lock in the lineup at C. Pleks-Galch-DD-Mitchell not a very physically imposing C group.

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
Eller's underlying numbers are better than Shaw's, who benefits from playing with Toews.

Lateral move at best.

I guess it's a centre for winger so it addresses a need, but I think Habs could do better with two seconds than Shaw if they played it right.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I like Shaw, but BOTH 2nd's this year??

It's a weak draft. I really don't mind. Two 2nds in 2017 and 3 in 2018, which could be much better drafts.

Shaw can literally play anywhere in the lineup, from 1st to 4th line and not look out of place.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Sucks to lose Eller. I love Shaw. Not sure if he is worth two 2nds as an RFA, but Shaw is a good hockey player.

MT just wasn't going to play Eller at centre over DD on the third line

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal
Why the **** did we paid 2 ****ing second picks to help again ****ing Chicago for a ****ing soon to be overpaid depth scorer ? Damn I hate this **** of a team.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
It's a weak draft. I really don't mind. Two 2nds in 2017 and 3 in 2018, which could be much better drafts.

Shaw can literally play anywhere in the lineup, from 1st to 4th line and not look out of place.

That's more a sign of how Toews and Hossa can work with a lot of players rather than the true merits of Shaw.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
He's the one who injured Galchenyuk his 2nd year IIRC.

The type of player you like to hate but love when he is playing for you. Great fit for the coach.

That deal alone is nice if you don't like this draft (weak year). Eller deal is another story...WHY NOT DD...FML not another year of DD....................

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Happy to get Shaw. Brings great intensity that Eller never could. Same skill level as well

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
Shaw also has Stanley Cup experience. That's something this team was sorely lacking.

last time i heard that we had brought gomez and gionta :cry:

horrible trades all around. eller was perfect 3rd line center. shaw is some kind of a tweener who won't produce enough to become legit top 6 player, and good 3rd line winger is way less important than good 3rd line center.

eller had same number even strength points as shaw last year. playing with kane and toews on powerplay inflated shaw's stats. we'll see what it would look like with desharnais. :sarcasm:

taking two worse picks in the next year draft is just icing on a cake. i was defending bergevin for a long time, but i think i'm done now.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Sucks to lose Eller. I love Shaw. Not sure if he is worth two 2nds as an RFA, but Shaw is a good hockey player.

MT just wasn't going to play Eller at centre over DD on the third line

He will play Shaw over DD, however.

void

Jan 5, 2006

Great! Therrien loves to play grinders on the first line! He'll fit right in!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad