Proposal: MTL-VAN or MTL-STL (MTL taking a cap dump)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Kandy

Habcoolic
Jul 22, 2014
Montreal
Hey there.

As you probably all know, Montreal will have some cap space going into next offseason and I really hope they can take advantage of it, just like they did with the Armia trade.

St.Louis is definitely a team that need to shed some salary to be able to re-sign Alex Pietrangelo and Vince Dunn.

Vancouver is another team who would benefit from dumping a contract. To re-sign Markstorm, yes, and to try to get better for next season.

So, I'd be curious what Vancouver and St.Louis fans would be willing to give to the Habs so they take on Bozak's contract or Sutter's contract.

Bozak = 1 year left @ 5,000,000$
Sutter = 1 year left @ 4,375,000$

What I had in mind was Tyler Bozak + Klim Kostin or Sammy Blais vs a 4th round pick or Brandon Sutter + Kole Lind + 2nd round pick vs a 3rd round pick.

What about that, Blues & Nucks fans? Would you do that? Or it's too much? Any counter?

Thanks!

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Hey there.

As you probably all know, Montreal will have some cap space going into next offseason and I really hope they can take advantage of it, just like they did with the Armia trade.

St.Louis is definitely a team that need to shed some salary to be able to re-sign Alex Pietrangelo and Vince Dunn.

Vancouver is another team who would benefit from dumping a contract. To re-sign Markstorm, yes, and to try to get better for next season.

So, I'd be curious what Vancouver and St.Louis fans would be willing to give to the Habs so they take on Bozak's contract or Sutter's contract.

What I had in mind was Tyler Bozak + Klim Kostin or Sammy Blais vs a 4th round pick or Brandon Sutter + Kole Lind + 2nd round pick vs a 3rd round pick.

What about that, Blues & Nucks fans? Would you do that? Or it's too much? Any counter?

Thanks!

Bozak could probably be had for a 3rd or 4th. Lol @ attaching Blais or Kostin.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Oh you think a team would actually pay something to acquire Tyler Bozak @ 5,000,000$ with the flat cap? Interesting, to say the least.
Cool.

Good luck with Sutter :thumbu:

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
We have 12 draft picks this year and we combines for 23 in the two previous years, unless they are high firsts we really shouldn't have that much interest in more picks. Instead of trying to get more darts to throw we should be pooling or excess picks to weaponize our cap space and add a better player. You can only have so many prospects in your system and so many contracts, we should be looking for quality, not quantity.

Also, LOL at the Blues fan who thinks they'll get anything for Bozak.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Sutter is only one year, may we interest you in a French speaking Roussel? Or Eriksson?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
@Prairie Habs

Value of: - Value of Jake Allen

Your quote:

No GM will give you "good starter" value for a guy who lost his net behind a very good defensive team. I could easily see some GMs being interested, but they know STL is over a barrel cap wise, and they won't help them out of the kindness of their hearts.

Post you liked:

Are you giving the 2nd or 3rd with allen?

On a serious note, no team is going to pay up for allen unless he has a full blown miracle run and the blues repeat. At best you might get a 5th this offseason because even if a team believes in allen they know the blues need cap space to resign AP

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Both those teams can get more/give less from others considering Montreal doesn't need centers.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
the fact that MB acquired Allen means he's not looking to acquire cap dumps for futures

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Sutter is slightly overpaid but I share Bennings optimism. He is not a cap dump and Vancouver would not pay Kole Lind to get rid of him.

I'd explore a package of Virtanen and Sutter for something.

Or Baertschi + Gadjovich/Lockwood

Not necessarily to the winger heavy Habs though.

Just because Toronto overpaid a first for Marleau shouldnt mean that teams should pay a ton to get rid of cap like that. These asking prices are getting ridiculous. We aren't including Eriksson who is a legit cap dump.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
We have 12 draft picks this year and we combines for 23 in the two previous years, unless they are high firsts we really shouldn't have that much interest in more picks. Instead of trying to get more darts to throw we should be pooling or excess picks to weaponize our cap space and add a better player. You can only have so many prospects in your system and so many contracts, we should be looking for quality, not quantity.

Also, LOL at the Blues fan who thinks they'll get anything for Bozak.

I can understand not getting anything for him...but we're sure not giving anyone Kostin or Blais in order to take Bozak....he's still a good player. Any team that has no cap issues would probably love to have him.

stl76

Jul 2, 2015
Bozak is returning zilch unless there's retention.
If you say so. Even if there are no teams who would take Bozak at full cap in exchange for "future considerations" - which I do not believe is true, but for the sake of argument let's say this is the case - Blues still have absolutely zero reason to attach an asset to Bozak to move him.

Blues can pretty easily shed more cap with a mix of LTIR, buy out(s), and moving other players (ex. Gunnarsson). Teams do not have the Blues over a barrel and the sooner their fans understand this, the better for all involved.

For example, if the Blues REALLY wanted to shed cap, they could buy out Bozak (2.83M savings) and trade Gunarsson (1.75M savings) for let's say a 4th...they would end up with ~$4.5 in cap savings. Let's compare this to trading Bozak + Kostin for a 4th. What's better: losing Gunarrsson + gaining $4.5 in cap space vs losing Kostin + $5M in cap space?

And this is not even taking into account possible LTIR savings from Tarasenko and possibly Steen OR the possibility of retaining some of Bozak's salary for a higher pick...

Reactions: 67Blues and TK 421

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Hey there.

Thanks!
I won't comment on the St. Louis proposal, but that's a big no from a Van perspective. Lind will be needed to offset the loses due to cap reasons. If we are attaching an asset to Sutter, it can't be Lind. I could see $1million retained for a late pick, but no chance 1 year of Sutter is worth attaching a prospect and pick.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
If the Canucks are attaching someone to Sutter it won't be Lind. Maybe Lockwood or Jasek. But if VAN clears out some bad contracts and guys like Virtanen this offseason, Lind may make the team out of camp.

Sutter also really isn't a pressing guy for VAN to deal. First off, he has some value when healthy. Second off, his contract is up before they have to pay Hughes and Pettersson.

It's Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle who they need to find a way to shed.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Take Louie Erikson and the canucks will pay up, but not gonna pay to move Sutter.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
If the Canucks are attaching someone to Sutter it won't be Lind. Maybe Lockwood or Jasek. But if VAN clears out some bad contracts and guys like Virtanen this offseason, Lind may make the team out of camp.

Sutter also really isn't a pressing guy for VAN to deal. First off, he has some value when healthy. Second off, his contract is up before they have to pay Hughes and Pettersson.

It's Eriksson, Roussel and Beagle who they need to find a way to shed.
Montreal needs to maintain their cap flexibility for when Suzuki and Kotkaniemi become RFA and Danault, Gallagher, Petry and Tatar go UFA. I’m not really on board with Montreal taking another teams cap dump to begin with. But if they do it can only be a 1 year dump. You’ll need to look elsewhere to dump those guys

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad