Confirmed Trade: [MTL/STL] Montreal acquires Jake Allen, a 2022 7th from St. Louis for 2020 3rd, 7th

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
It was SJ, DAL, TB, BOS, TOR, and NYI. He met with representatives from each organization in LA.

Yeah, ok now I remember. It was like Lebron minus the mega USA TV coverage. I think there was one guy from TSN stationed outside of the LA hotel (John Lu I think ?) man it was like CNN breaking news coverage but in Canada, about a hockey player haha.

Don't think too many people thought he was actually gonna come to Toronto. And then the pajama thing started and so many angry people.......weird to think back on.

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
I don't remember Tavares picking Toronto as "out of left field" as they were one of the teams actually meeting him in person and presenting their offer along with a couple other teams that have faded from my memory (San Jose was one for sure, Dallas?....., totally forget who else at this point sorry)
I know toronto was on his list and it was well known. That’s why I added the “except” in my post. Implying that this is where Pietrangelo will differ from Tavares.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I know toronto was on his list and it was well known. That’s why I added the “except” in my post. Implying that this is where Pietrangelo will differ from Tavares.

I'm having trouble computing what you're saying. My apologies for that.

So you're saying Pietrangelo won't re-sign with the Blues, but it will also be an unexpected team that he signs with?

We don't even know if he's going to do the Tavares thing yet and meet a bunch of teams.

Anyway, nothing wrong with what you're saying I guess. Usually guys just end up re-signing with the team they're with.

We'll have to see what happens though because right now there's just not enough going on to make an educated guess. Gonna be a pretty fun offseason though with everything that's going on, I suspect some really shocking stuff to happen.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Allen will not win 20 out of 30 games with our team. :laugh: Price is arguably one of the best in the league and is still struggling to remain a bit above .500. If Allen can win a few extra games, we may be a playoff team. But we shouldn’t be aiming to be a bubble team. We should be aiming for a championship. And that’s never going to happen with our roster as it is now.

Yeah I'm curious to see how Allen will respond in Montreal. Saint Louis has been really good defensively during Allen's career and I think that they make their goalies look way better than they are. And I suspect that Montreal is the opposite.

Imo I'd be surprised if Allen can manage a %SV above .905 and play more than 20 games.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Yeah I'm curious to see how Allen will respond in Montreal. Saint Louis has been really good defensively during Allen's career and I think that they make their goalies look way better than they are. And I suspect that Montreal is the opposite.

Imo I'd be surprised if Allen can manage a %SV above .905 and play more than 20 games.

Montreal's defence over the last few years has been fairly solid, and now we should be even stronger with Edmunson/Romanov coming in next year.

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

The Habs will add Romanov and Edmundson to the mix of Weber, Petry, Chiarot. Your are underestimating the Habs D and maturity at center moving forward with Suzuki and KK. We only have one spot open for Kulak, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Brook to battle it out for.

Parayko / Pietrangelo
Scandella / Faulk
Dunn / Bortuzzo
vs
Chiarot / Weber
Edmundson / Petry
Romanov / Juulsen or whoever wins that job

-Weber vs Pietrangelo
-Petry vs Parayko
-Chiarot vs Faulk
-Edmundson vs Scandella
-Romanov vs Dunn

Habs are the opposite? I think that is massive exaggeration to try to prove a point and it's closer than you realize. You are thinking of the Habs D to start last season which would be fair. But adding Edmundson and Romanov is some serious add to guys like Mete, Kulak, Ouellet, Folin, etc

Reactions: Tim Wallach

Pietrangelo

Oct 26, 2015
I'm having trouble computing what you're saying. My apologies for that.

So you're saying Pietrangelo won't re-sign with the Blues, but it will also be an unexpected team that he signs with?

We don't even know if he's going to do the Tavares thing yet and meet a bunch of teams.

Anyway, nothing wrong with what you're saying I guess. Usually guys just end up re-signing with the team they're with.

We'll have to see what happens though because right now there's just not enough going on to make an educated guess. Gonna be a pretty fun offseason though with everything that's going on, I suspect some really shocking stuff to happen.
Yeah sorry, I should have explained myself better. Honestly I’m making a bold prediction here, but for some reason I think his days with the blues are done. It’s unfortunate they decided to give that contract to Faulk because I feel like they would feel a lot more comfortable keeping Pietrangelo if Faulk didn’t have that contract.

We’ll have to wait and see, but like I said. My bold prediction is that he signs with a team out of left field.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
The Habs will add Romanov and Edmundson to the mix of Weber, Petry, Chiarot. Your are underestimating the Habs D and maturity at center moving forward with Suzuki and KK. We only have one spot open for Kulak, Mete, Juulsen, Fleury, Brook to battle it out for.

Parayko / Pietrangelo
Scandella / Faulk
Dunn / Bortuzzo
vs
Chiarot / Weber
Edmundson / Petry

-Weber vs Pietrangelo
-Petry vs Parayko
-Chiarot vs Faulk
-Edmundson vs Scandella
-Romanov vs Dunn

Habs are the opposite? I think that is massive exaggeration to try to prove a point and it's closer than you realize. You are thinking of the Habs D to start last season which would be fair. But adding Edmundson and Romanov is some serious add to guys like Mete, Kulak, Ouellet, Folin, etc

Petriangelo is much better then Weber is at this point in his career. Parayko and Petry aren’t even close either. Faulk isn’t great but he’s still better then Chariot. Edmundson is better then Scandella but really, that doesn’t point the needle anywhere and we have no idea what we have in Romonov until we actually see him play at this level. You’re massively overreacting our defence. Suzuki showed some strong traits and Danault is one of the better 2 way centers in the league, but the majority of our forwards are either bad defensively or soft. Sometimes both.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petriangelo is much better then Weber is at this point in his career. Parayko and Petry aren’t even close either. Faulk isn’t great but he’s still better then Chariot. Edmundson is better then Scandella but really, that doesn’t point the needle anywhere and we have no idea what we have in Romonov until we actually see him play at this level. You’re massively overreacting our defence. Suzuki showed some strong traits and Danault is one of the better 2 way centers in the league, but the majority of our forwards are either bad defensively or soft. Sometimes both.

Don't matter. The post said the Habs were the "opposite" which indicates our team D is near bottom of the NHL. Certainly not with Edmundson and Romanov blocking guys like Ouellet, Folin, Mete, Kulak from playing top 4D or even playing NHL

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

Parayko / Pietrangelo
Scandella / Faulk
Dunn / Bortuzzo
vs
Chiarot / Weber
Edmundson / Petry

-Weber vs Pietrangelo
-Petry vs Parayko
-Chiarot vs Faulk
-Edmundson vs Scandella
-Romanov vs Dunn

I was talking "historically" - ie the past few seasons. Obviously if the Habs D is as solid in 2020-2021 as the Blues have been during Allen's tenure in saint-louis (especially 2014-2017), then he should be fine.

+ we still don't know what Romanov will look like. I'm hoping he's solid, but people act like he's established already.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

We're also not considering the whole team in these scenarios. For the years I mentionned, the Blues were coached by Ken Hitchcock and were one of the best defensive teams in the league overall. Halak/Elliott won the Jennings under him.

Is Allen gonna be the best backup we've seen in years? I sure hope so. Is he gonna look better than he did in Saint Louis? I have my doubts, but some players thrive under change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad