Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NJD] Devante Smith-Pelly for Stefan Matteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I don't believe DSP has suddenly broken out. It's just a small sample size. Same with Matteau, too early to tell if he's an NHL player.

Too easy to get carried away with this. It's still a scrub for scrub trade.

Mad Brills*

I don't believe DSP has suddenly broken out. It's just a small sample size. Same with Matteau, too early to tell if he's an NHL player.

Same with Matteau, too early to tell if he's an NHL player.

His hockeydb page says otherwise.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

If DSP is a scrub then Matteau is whatever is below a scrub. This was a stupid move from the start. Sure DSP will slow down and likely will settle in to being a 30pt player but Matteau won't even get close to that and brings nothing to the team but a Fremnch background.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Be fair here, you had zero problem with it when this trade was made.

Who cares where I was? Anyway, we never win at this. If I would have had problems with it, I'd be called saying that I always came in when I'm right...or I would have been rememberd my position on Kristo and others. The idea here vehiculated by certain people is that professionnals knows best. SAme pros who look awfully bad right now.

As far as evaluating players on my own end well yeah....I guess I wasn't again. But mostly because of Therrien's usage. I guess I would have needed 417 to remind me that yep....DSP HAD some offensive skills as he, compared to another player, HAD an offensive history and he COULD be a solution up front. 417 wasn't around this time. So hey...I misjudged the deal. IT MAKES NO ****ING DIFFERENCE IN THE INEPTITUDE OF THIS MANAGEMENT. They take the décisions. I don't.

Of course, we ALL expect him to cool down. Geez, you have to hope he will...he's a PPG player....I mean, tell me we didn't trade a 82-point guy. Since we didn't....yeah, he will cool down. Still...he will be better than half if not all of our bottom 6 players.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Who cares where I was? Anyway, we never win at this. If I would have had problems with it, I'd be called saying that I always came in when I'm right...or I would have been rememberd my position on Kristo and others. The idea here vehiculated by certain people is that professionnals knows best. SAme pros who look awfully bad right now.

As far as evaluating players on my own end well yeah....I guess I wasn't again. But mostly because of Therrien's usage. I guess I would have needed 417 to remind me that yep....DSP HAD some offensive skills as he, compared to another player, HAD an offensive history and he COULD be a solution up front. 417 wasn't around this time. So hey...I misjudged the deal. IT MAKES NO ****ING DIFFERENCE IN THE INEPTITUDE OF THIS MANAGEMENT. They take the décisions. I don't.

Of course, we ALL expect him to cool down. Geez, you have to hope he will...he's a PPG player....I mean, tell me we didn't trade a 82-point guy. Since we didn't....yeah, he will cool down. Still...he will be better than half if not all of our bottom 6 players.
I highly doubt this is the new DSP. Before we call MB an idiot for this I think we should see how this goes. In my view it will end up being what we all thought it was to begin with... an inconsequential trade.

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
I dislike this trade for the same reason I disliked the Sekac trade. I think it's indicative of a lack of patience with young players, in this case DSP probably got less opportunity than Sekac.

I can see the logic of this trade only if you think DSP will make a million more or so than Matteau next year. But certainly DSP is a better player to have hang around your bottom 6 than Matteau.

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
This trade really exposes the futility of having local guys just for the sake of it.

I hope the AC crowd is watching closely.

Rejean Tremblay too.

MB (and MT) just traded 12 goals for 1.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I dislike this trade for the same reason I disliked the Sekac trade. I think it's indicative of a lack of patience with young players, in this case DSP probably got less opportunity than Sekac.

A lack of patience AND ability to develop different types of players differently within a single group. Everyone goes through the same grinder/extruder before getting wrapped in the same bland packaging for sale.

I can see the logic of this trade only if you think DSP will make a million more or so than Matteau next year. But certainly DSP is a better player to have hang around your bottom 6 than Matteau.

I think you're right on both accounts. Pinching pennies where possible in the bottom 6, and, as critical as I have been of DSP, he's a better bottom 6 player than Matteau; probably will be over the course of their next contracts, too.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Ask two questions.

Are the Habs a better team with DSP?

Are the Habs a better team with Matteau?

Clearly the answer to both is no. Neither are impact players and neither will make the Habs better or worse.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015

He struggled to produce at a .5ppg in the AHL. He's a 4th liner at best but i don't think he'll make it. Hell even in the qmjhl as a 19 year old he was below ppg holy ****

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Ask two questions.

Clearly the answer to both is no. Neither are impact players and neither will make the Habs better or worse.

The Habs are a better team with DSP than Matteau. Just because a player isn't an "impact" player doesn't mean they don't affect the quality of the team.

The real question is whether the difference between DSP and Matteau's cost (~1m) will be used to acquire a top 6 forward. For example, DSP and Hudler signed at 5m or Matteau and Ladd signed at 6m.

The problem is that this logic should be used for our entire bottom 6 and bottom pairings. It doesn't make sense to stress about the quality of your third line should Eller or Desharnais be moved when Dale Weise is playing in your top 6. Having quality players in those positions is a luxury that shouldn't inhibit your ability to actually fill in the positions that matter.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015
Ask two questions.

A bootom 6 player with 12 goal is better than one with 1

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Ask two questions.

DSP would be tied for 4th in goals scored for the Habs.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The real question is whether the difference between DSP and Matteau's cost (~1m) will be used to acquire a top 6 forward. For example, DSP and Hudler signed at 5m or Matteau and Ladd signed at 6m.

Are you talking about a $1000 difference, or a $1,000,000 difference?

Because right now, there is only a $187,500 difference in their cap hits. Bergevin could have easily re-signed RFA Smith-Pelly at a minimal increase.

So what are you talking about?

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
Are you talking about a $1000 difference, or a $1,000,000 difference?

Bergevin could have easily re-signed RFA Smith-Pelly at a minimal increase.

Is this surely the case? I think that logic still applies if Smith-Pelly "only" makes more than 500k as well.

I just think there are more effective places to pinch pennies from like Eller, or ideally if possible, Emelin or Desharnais.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Is this surely the case? I think that logic still applies if Smith-Pelly "only" makes more than 500k as well.

I just think there are more effective places to pinch pennies from like Eller, or ideally if possible, Emelin or Desharnais.

So we agree that salary considerations should not have factored into trading DSP?

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
A lack of patience AND ability to develop different types of players differently within a single group. Everyone goes through the same grinder/extruder before getting wrapped in the same bland packaging for sale.

Are we talking about Habs's development issues here, or making sausage? ;)

tumblr_m2y2ue73sr1qbch47.gif

#MoarGrind

#MakingSausage

(I have no talent - or patience, or even a good enough laptop for that matter - for modifying GIFs, but someone will have to 'shoop Bergevin ans Therrien's faces on there)

Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
So we agree that salary considerations should not have factored into trading DSP?

No, I think they should have. I think they are the only legitimate factor for trading DSP, unless you are to believe that Matteau has a better attitude than him, which is hard to believe based on everything we know.

I don't think it is a GOOD factor to based dealing DSP on because the difference in salary might not be much and that difference could more than be made up for elsewhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad