Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NJD] Devante Smith-Pelly for Stefan Matteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Ask two questions.

Are the Habs a better team with DSP?

Are the Habs a better team with Matteau?

Clearly the answer to both is no. Neither are impact players and neither will make the Habs better or worse.

23 year old NHL RW with 21 points in 53 games (64 points in 202 career NHL games)
25 year old NHL RW with 7 points in 27 games (73 points in 225 career NHL games)

vs

22 year old AHL LW with 2 points in 26 games (6 points in 50 career NHL games)
two 20 year olds prospects with a combined 2 points in 30 games -13 (8 points in 63 combined career NHL games)

Clearly it wouldn't make a difference. Price and Subban are out of the lineup so it's auto-loss regardless. :sarcasm:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Ask two questions.

Are the Habs a better team with DSP?

Are the Habs a better team with Matteau?

Clearly the answer to both is no. Neither are impact players and neither will make the Habs better or worse.

I think DSP is a better player than Matteau, DD, Mitchell, Flynn, Brown...

I think that the habs were a better team with DSP yes.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I think DSP is a better player than Matteau, DD, Mitchell, Flynn, Brown...

I think that the habs were a better team with DSP yes.

Is it enough to make a substantial difference in the standings??
I mean....we are trying to tank right?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

There is a life beyond this awful season. DSP would have been better for the habs than the aforementioned players next season.

Lehkonen4Calder

Feb 24, 2015

Or it means that MB should be gone. He always makes minor trade that he loose most of the time and we are what .....4 years since he's the gm? I don't trust him making a big move

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
DSP reminds me of Latendresse in his first year with Minnesota.

I'll wait more before judging this trade.

Anyway, DSP sucked so bad in montreal

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
There is a life beyond this awful season. DSP would have been better for the habs than the aforementioned players next season.

I agree, but the difference he'd make would not be very substantial, I believe it's more important to tank this year then to get 8 goals from DSP next year. DSP is a 3rd line player at best we agree. Is he better than let's say Danault, Eller and McCarron, our probable 3rd line next year?

And how much would he produce on the fourth??

Lessio, Mitchell and Brown is a very good crash and bang energy line, is he better at doing that job then the aforementioned??

Extras are Byron and Flynn, they can be interchanged depending on who we are playing.

I just don't see a spot for DSP in this lineup.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Or it means that MB should be gone. He always makes minor trade that he loose most of the time and we are what .....4 years since he's the gm? I don't trust him making a big move

What minor trades has he lost?
I'll name you a few that he's won...

Diaz for Weise
Fleishmann for Danault
Weise for a 2nd (knowing that Pirri a better goal scorer was traded for a 5th)

That's just off the top of my head

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
To any current Hab who would like to leave Montreal. Just get yourself involved in any off ice incident that makes the news or get in MT's doghouse which there's no escape from it seems and you'll soon be gone.

I'm surprised Beaulieu and Galchenyuk haven't been shipped out by the dynamic duo yet but it's not too late for them to **** that up too.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
What minor trades has he lost?
I'll name you a few that he's won...

Diaz for Weise
Fleishmann for Danault
Weise for a 2nd (knowing that Pirri a better goal scorer was traded for a 5th)

That's just off the top of my head

Doesn't the fact you have to split a trade into 2 show how mediocre the win list is? The Weise trade is as good as the Gill +5th for Geoffrioin + 2nd trade...nothing to write home about.

DSP for Matteau
Scrivens for Kassian
Daniel Briere for Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau (now a dead cap hit post-buyout instead of 4M off the books)
7th for Parros
5th for Drewiske
5th for Brian Flynn (knowing that Pirri a better goal scorer was traded for a 5th, waste of 5th)

End of the day, MB seems to be mostly making trades for the sake of trading. Rarely do his moves show any signs of team building. There's a reason the main core pieces of the franchise is still the same core from pre - July 1 2012. Coming up on July 1 2016 and we're literally looking at 1 NHL regular on this roster added capable of 14+min/game. Look at all the other GMs coming into their 5th offseason and tell me how this is acceptable. :dunno:

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I agree, but the difference he'd make would not be very substantial, I believe it's more important to tank this year then to get 8 goals from DSP next year. DSP is a 3rd line player at best we agree. Is he better than let's say Danault, Eller and McCarron, our probable 3rd line next year?

And how much would he produce on the fourth??

Lessio, Mitchell and Brown is a very good crash and bang energy line, is he better at doing that job then the aforementioned??

Extras are Byron and Flynn, they can be interchanged depending on who we are playing.

I just don't see a spot for DSP in this lineup.

The way things are shaping up with MB, DSP will end up a better top 6 RW than whatever player MB gets to play in our top 6 this summer.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
The way things are shaping up with MB, DSP will end up a better top 6 RW than whatever player MB gets to play in our top 6 this summer.

Trades away Eric Cole and replaces him with Briere and eventually Parentau. Acquires Sekac and proceeds to trade him for DSP and eventually Matteau. Completely de-valued Tinordi until he was worth as much as john Scott. Thank God we traded away Kassian and Semin so we could play Byron and Mitchell in our top six!

This is the kind of stuff you read about other teams and you laugh, then you realize this is your GM and you cry. :cry:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
One good thing is out of this is we were on pace to pass New Jersey before the trade. We keep our top 10 pick for now.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Doesn't the fact you have to split a trade into 2 show how mediocre the win list is? The Weise trade is as good as the Gill +5th for Geoffrioin + 2nd trade...nothing to write home about.

DSP for Matteau
Scrivens for Kassian
Daniel Briere for Pierre-Alexandre Parenteau (now a dead cap hit post-buyout instead of 4M off the books)
7th for Parros
5th for Drewiske
5th for Brian Flynn (knowing that Pirri a better goal scorer was traded for a 5th, waste of 5th)

End of the day, MB seems to be mostly making trades for the sake of trading. Rarely do his moves show any signs of team building. There's a reason the main core pieces of the franchise is still the same core from pre - July 1 2012. Coming up on July 1 2016 and we're literally looking at 1 NHL regular on this roster added capable of 14+min/game. Look at all the other GMs coming into their 5th offseason and tell me how this is acceptable. :dunno:

How is Kassian more useful to Edmonton then Scrivens??....Scrivens has won us a few games, Kassian has won Edmonton Jack!!.....to me, it's a right off!!

7th for Parros......big time loss there, I cringe every time we give up 7th round picks.... :laugh:
5th for Bryan Flynn......Flynn actually scored in those playoffs, helped us get to the second round

Nothing for Byron.....has 9 goals
2 second round picks for Petry....BIG TIME WIN
Colberg for Vanek......made it to the conference finals
Prust for Kassian and a Fifth......Prust and Kassian cancel each other out....guess we get our 5th back from the Flynn deal :sarcasm:
Gorges for a 2nd...this years pick from Minnesota

Hey...I'm not saying he's won all the deals, he's got his share of screw ups just like any other GM, but let's not pretend like hes lost out on all his trades either

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015

DSP for Matteau
Scrivens for Kassian
7th for Parros
5th for Drewiske

Petry for 2nd and 4th round
Condon for nothing
Barberio for nothing
Diaz for nothing so ultimately Danault for nothing
Byron for nothing
Matteau for DSP (we will judge that later on)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If DSP is a scrub then Matteau is whatever is below a scrub. This was a stupid move from the start. Sure DSP will slow down and likely will settle in to being a 30pt player but Matteau won't even get close to that and brings nothing to the team but a Fremnch background.

I'm not enthused by what I saw of Matteau so far. Clearly, he was mishandled by the Devils as they didn't allow him to make his grades in the minors.

I can't see Matteau developing with the Habs if he only makes the team on account of being lost if sent down to the AHL. If he can't make the team on his own merit next year, perhaps it might be time to expose him to waivers and see if anyone claims him. Best thing for him is another year in the AHL. I doubt anyone would claim him.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
23 year old NHL RW with 21 points in 53 games (64 points in 202 career NHL games)
25 year old NHL RW with 7 points in 27 games (73 points in 225 career NHL games)

vs

22 year old AHL LW with 2 points in 26 games (6 points in 50 career NHL games)
two 20 year olds prospects with a combined 2 points in 30 games -13 (8 points in 63 combined career NHL games)

Clearly it wouldn't make a difference. Price and Subban are out of the lineup so it's auto-loss regardless. :sarcasm:

I don't want to nitpick your post so I will simply ask you to look at what effect DSP had on the Team while being a Hab. Little to none. Same as Sekac. Probably the same as Matteau.

DSP scored a handful of goals since being traded. Good for him. He had his chances to do the same here but he didn't. Pick your reason why that is so and run with it. However, trying to assert that the Habs will be a worse team without him is laughable

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Trades away Eric Cole and replaces him with Briere and eventually Parentau. Acquires Sekac and proceeds to trade him for DSP and eventually Matteau. Completely de-valued Tinordi until he was worth as much as john Scott. Thank God we traded away Kassian and Semin so we could play Byron and Mitchell in our top six!

This is the kind of stuff you read about other teams and you laugh, then you realize this is your GM and you cry. :cry:

Erik Cole was overpaid for the $4.5M cap hit and we came out ahead getting rid of him.

Sekac was traded for a better player, but unfortunately MB ruined that win with a colossal blunder. Matteau is garbage.

Tinordi devalued himself. We still got Bartley for him (9th defenceman for 8th defenceman). Scott was against Fournier.

Kassian couldn't stay, so even if Scrivens is terribad it's not a loss really, because Prust is no good this year either, and we get a draft pick for a guy who was costing us $2.5M and lots of stupid penalty minutes. Kassian is on pace for 21 points in Edmonton, where if he had not declined, he would be at more than double that.

Once Semin busted, Byron and Mitchell in top six were also injury-provoked, when we auditioned a few guys and finally realized Carr and Andrighetto were the best of the bunch. Not sure how the failure to get a top winger means we lost a trade though.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
DSP scored a handful of goals since being traded. Good for him. He had his chances to do the same here but he didn't. Pick your reason why that is so and run with it. However, trying to assert that the Habs will be a worse team without him is laughable

We ARE a worse team right now without DSP, by a little. The good news is that he will eventually be replaced by another $800k guy on the fourth line, it just won't be Matteau. If we were contending, DSP would be handy depth, no more.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
We ARE a worse team right now without DSP, by a little. The good news is that he will eventually be replaced by another $800k guy on the fourth line, it just won't be Matteau. If we were contending, DSP would be handy depth, no more.

And this signals why we shouldn't collectively be up in arms about this nothing trade.

There's no point being stuck in no-man's land and being the 12th team to pick. Might as well shoot for the stars (or the inverse) and try to suck as much as possible to acquire some assets. Wish we could have gotten a 3rd or something like that for DSP, but life will move forward

c3z4r

Jul 4, 2011
in the world
Kassian couldn't stay, so even if Scrivens is terribad it's not a loss really, because Prust is no good this year either, and we get a draft pick for a guy who was costing us $2.5M and lots of stupid penalty minutes. Kassian is on pace for 21 points in Edmonton, where if he had not declined, he would be at more than double that.

Once Semin busted, Byron and Mitchell in top six were also injury-provoked, when we auditioned a few guys and finally realized Carr and Andrighetto were the best of the bunch. Not sure how the failure to get a top winger means we lost a trade though.

I miss Prust on this team. He was a good leader and cared about the young kids on the roster. Might just be me reading too much into the situation, but i wouldn't be surprised if he helped Galchenyuk not lose his confidence when MT was yo-yo-ing him throughout the lineup.

SuVbkay.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This thread is so depressing lol. I have to stop coming here.

I had no idea a thread on a message board could have this kind of effect. :amazed:

On the bright side, we finally were able to locate the infamous foxhole.

aislinweb-031616ca.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad