Confirmed with Link: [MTL/NJD] Devante Smith-Pelly for Stefan Matteau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
The problem is that he produced when given an opportunity. Much like Galchenyuk, who wasn't given that opportunity until the season was over. Both guys would play well, than see their ice time reduced or placed with the scrubs. It's just baffling - guys like Weise and Desharnais weren't treated the same way.

MT seems like a poor evaluator of talent and a man who clearly plays favourites when coaching, and it's costing this club points and players.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
Its all on MB, the coaching staff NHL and AHL. We are unable to bring the best of our players.. DSP, Galchenyuk, Eller, Sekac, our AHL team has been abysmal since day one when MB took over with his buddy Lefevbre we used to be a lock for the playoffs with inferior skill level in previous regimes since then if im not wrong we havent made once the playoffs thats pretty bad yet lefevbre is still there like he would be a doing anything right at the opposite i cant recall wich player has been brought up and had a true impact. Please someone refresh my memory. The freaking core who manage to do well at the NHL level, are players that have already done so under different managements. I certainly wont say Subban, Price or Pacioretty success are related to Therrien those guys were already at a similar level before. Only unquestionable positive move has been getting Waite. We go and pickup 3-4th liners thats all we do, MB battle for bridge contracts wich are completly useless since we cant manage to acquire the missing pieces to be a true cup contender during that time.. Once the bridge is over we are actually now stuck with more expensive contracts wich wont allow us to take advantages of the bridge years.. See Subban and most likely Galchenyuk.. I dont see how thats smart... We cannot evaluate players appropriately.

And to finnish MB hadnt even dare to make 1 deal that would put his signature with the club. At this rate by the time he is fired no one will remember nothing of his legacy... Weird clothing weird beard big ego good excuses... Mainly they will remember he got a tremendous core and couldnt improve the roster in any way.

Its all on MB. He asked for it. He get's it.

I cant understand how people can let it go.

Why would Bergevin and Therrien have special treatments that Gainey/Gauthier and Carbonneau/Martin didnt get? When in fact Molson was clear our goal was to attempt to win the cup. Not just aim for a playoff spot. Im pissed.

Mad Brills*

Its all on MB, the coaching staff NHL and AHL. We are unable to bring the best of our players.. DSP, Galchenyuk, Eller, Sekac, our AHL team has been abysmal since day one when MB took over with his buddy Lefevbre we used to be a lock for the playoffs with inferior skill level in previous regimes since then if im not wrong we havent made once the playoffs thats pretty bad yet lefevbre is still there like he would be a doing anything right at the opposite i cant recall wich player has been brought up and had a true impact. Please someone refresh my memory. The freaking core who manage to do well at the NHL level, are players that have already done so under different managements. I certainly wont say Subban, Price or Pacioretty success are related to Therrien those guys were already at a similar level before. Only unquestionable positive move has been getting Waite. We go and pickup 3-4th liners thats all we do, MB battle for bridge contracts wich are completly useless since we cant manage to acquire the missing pieces to be a true cup contender during that time.. Once the bridge is over we are actually now stuck with more expensive contracts wich wont allow us to take advantages of the bridge years.. See Subban and most likely Galchenyuk.. I dont see how thats smart... We cannot evaluate players appropriately.

And to finnish MB hadnt even dare to make 1 deal that would put his signature with the club. At this rate by the time he is fired no one will remember nothing of his legacy... Weird clothing weird beard big ego good excuses... Mainly they will remember he got a tremendous core and couldnt improve the roster in any way.

Why would Bergevin and Therrien have special treatments that Gainey/Gauthier and Carbonneau/Martin didnt get? When in fact Molson was clear our goal was to attempt to win the cup. Not just aim for a playoff spot. Im pissed.

When in fact Molson was clear our goal was to attempt to win the cup. Not just aim for a playoff spot

The fact that Marinaro said this:
From marinaro: "Team is more interested in finishing with a 110 point regular season than building a playoff team and winning the stanley cup".

Is troubling

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
MT has misused many players but DSP was not one of them, Galchenyuk definitely but 4th line guys gonna 4th line, maybe not for a last chance to stay in the league period but he is still going to be that player.

Didn't misuse him but clearly showed he had no use for him.
One of the greatest motivational tactics ever...
Therrien a great motivator. :laugh:
I'd love to hear Eller's honest opinion on that.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's nobody on this forums job to be pro scouts or GMs. Ultimately even then I think 90% of this forum could have done better than Scrivens for Kassian and Matteau for DSP. Management don't even see Friberg as call up material so we could have just kept Tokarski, not like he's worse than Scrivens. Even with failing a drug test Tinordi could have gotten better than negative value from a non-playoff team hoping to fix him next year. Even just keep him to the summer, we got literally worse than nothing for him. Why did we even choose Bartley over Elliot? At least Elliot played in the NHL. Or try to add something Tinordi and get a guy like Dahlbeck.
Okay but I think it's disingenuous to rip on a player, have zero problem with the trade and then come and bash the team for having made it.

I will be the first to say that I'm shocked with how hot he's gotten. I never expected it to happen and I don't expect it to continue. But if it does continue I'm not going to bash the team for making a move I didn't have a problem with when it was made.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
First time visiting this thread, surprised to see so many DSP supporters. Where are you guys all season when we had him? Oh yah, saying how useless he is and wanting to get rid of him.

Our fanbase is so bipolar, I'll come back in a couple of weeks and we'll be hailing this as the trade of the year when DSP is on a cold streak :laugh:

goforit

Apr 14, 2010
Montreal
C'mon guys... yeah we lost that one. Matteau will probably never be a regular in the NHL but that's a minor trade and probably the first one we lose. I don't see DSP being more than a career 4th liner.

I'm not defending MB at all as I am really upset about what he's done in the last few years (nothing much) but let's not panic with a hot streak.

Mad Brills*

First time visiting this thread, surprised to see so many DSP supporters. Where are you guys all season when we had him? Oh yah, saying how useless he is and wanting to get rid of him.

Our fanbase is so bipolar, I'll come back in a couple of weeks and we'll be hailing this as the trade of the year when DSP is on a cold streak :laugh:

It's more that it proves therrien is a garbage coach, who doesn't adapt to his players strengths.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It's more that it proves therrien is a garbage coach, who doesn't adapt to his players strengths.
There may be some truth to this but DSP was out of shape last year and that certainly wasn't on the coach. This year he started well and was definitely improved but he was invisible most nights. If DSP wanted to stay he should've played better.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

Not really. Except DSP (hot streak), no other players were better elsewhere. In fact, they were worse.

Sekac, Weise, Vanek, Tinordi is the same, Thomas is worse in the AHL now....

Maybe Parenteau but he plays on a very bad team , a lot more ice time with them than here.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007

Good post but I disagree with the bolded part. Waite has been a disaster. Every non-Price goalie we've had has been RIDICULOUSLY bad. Not just kinda bad, but well below average.

If Waite works well with Price, fine, but that's more because of Price than Waite. Because he's effectively been awful with Budaj, Tokarski, Condon and Scrivens (who is bad anyway).

Okay but I think it's disingenuous to rip on a player, have zero problem with the trade and then come and bash the team for having made it.

I will be the first to say that I'm shocked with how hot he's gotten. I never expected it to happen and I don't expect it to continue. But if it does continue I'm not going to bash the team for making a move I didn't have a problem with when it was made.

Agreed.

I hated DSP and hated the Sekac trade. I never really cared for Sekac either but he was quick and had hands (maybe no toolbox though). I was upset at the trade because we never gave a chance to the player adapting to NA ice, and that we acquired a sure-fire bust with documented EATING issues.

I don't care he's hot now, he had ample oppurtunity with the Habs and wasn't ever useful. If he's turned the corner, great, if not, who cares.

Of course all of this is with the understanding that Therrien and his staff are awful and do not get the best out of players whatsoever.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Yeah exactly. This board before the trade: "DSP is worthless, we'll have to buy him out, I'd take a 6th or a 7th for him if we can even get that much, he would clear waivers, no team wants him".

After the trade: "LOL THERRIEN LOL BERGEVIN LOL DUDLEY LOL PRO SCOUTING".

Like, come on.

Anyway good for DSP that he's doing well in NJ, but he's shooting 43%. That's not going to hold. It's not at all uncommon for players to catch fire with a new team when they're traded, so I'm not ready to buy the notion that this is the "real" DSP.

Mad Brills*

Yeah exactly. This board before the trade: "DSP is worthless, we'll have to buy him out, I'd take a 6th or a 7th for him if we can even get that much, he would clear waivers, no team wants him".

After the trade: "LOL THERRIEN LOL BERGEVIN LOL DUDLEY LOL PRO SCOUTING".

Like, come on.

Anyway good for DSP that he's doing well in NJ, but he's shooting 43%. That's not going to hold. It's not at all uncommon for players to catch fire with a new team when they're traded, so I'm not ready to buy the notion that this is the "real" DSP.

Regardless, trading him wasn't the issue. The piss poor return of an Bust in Matteau is the issue. Trade him for a pick instead.

Instead of having matteau waste a spot that could go to a kid.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Regardless, trading him wasn't the issue. The piss poor return of an Bust in Matteau is the issue. Trade him for a pick instead.

Instead of having matteau waste a spot that could go to a kid.

Have you entertained the possibility that no team would trade even a 7th for DSP and that the only way a team would take him on would be to ship out one of their own disappointing players/contracts?

You really think Bergevin was holding the upper hand and could dictate the terms when he was shopping Devante Smith-Pelly?

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
When in fact Molson was clear our goal was to attempt to win the cup. Not just aim for a playoff spot

The fact that Marinaro said this:

Is troubling

This is Tony being Tony which is fine, but trying to make it seem like that's the case is not really accurate.

A lot of GM say the goal is to make the playoffs, and then anything can happen. This doesn't mean the ultimate goal isn't to win the cup, but to win the cup, you first must make the playoffs.

To be honest, I can see how saying the goal is to make the playoffs is a bad sound bite, but the fact is every GM says that.

And Bob Gainey said that at the start of every year. I don't think anyone can questions Gainey will and desire was always to win the cup every year and not just be happy with the playoffs. But he too would always say the exact words Bergevin said, first goal is to make the playoffs and then "anything can happen".

Mad Brills*

Have you entertained the possibility that no team would trade even a 7th for DSP and that the only way a team would take him on would be to ship out one of their own disappointing players/contracts?

You really think Bergevin was holding the upper hand and could dictate the terms when he was shopping Devante Smith-Pelly?

I guess, but then have matteau down in the AHL.

Mad Brills*

This is Tony being Tony which is fine, but trying to make it seem like that's the case is not really accurate.

A lot of GM say the goal is to make the playoffs, and then anything can happen. This doesn't mean the ultimate goal isn't to win the cup, but to win the cup, you first must make the playoffs.

To be honest, I can see how saying the goal is to make the playoffs is a bad sound bite, but the fact is every GM says that.

And Bob Gainey said that at the start of every year. I don't think anyone can questions Gainey will and desire was always to win the cup every year and not just be happy with the playoffs. But he too would always say the exact words Bergevin said, first goal is to make the playoffs and then "anything can happen".

Shouldn't the goal always to be a cup contender? Not we get in and then "hope for the best?" Have our goalie carry us for 3 rounds?

E82

Feb 3, 2015
its all on mb, the coaching staff nhl and ahl. We are unable to bring the best of our players.. Dsp, galchenyuk, eller, sekac, our ahl team has been abysmal since day one when mb took over with his buddy lefevbre we used to be a lock for the playoffs with inferior skill level in previous regimes since then if im not wrong we havent made once the playoffs thats pretty bad yet lefevbre is still there like he would be a doing anything right at the opposite i cant recall wich player has been brought up and had a true impact. Please someone refresh my memory. The freaking core who manage to do well at the nhl level, are players that have already done so under different managements. I certainly wont say subban, price or pacioretty success are related to therrien those guys were already at a similar level before. Only unquestionable positive move has been getting waite. We go and pickup 3-4th liners thats all we do, mb battle for bridge contracts wich are completly useless since we cant manage to acquire the missing pieces to be a true cup contender during that time.. Once the bridge is over we are actually now stuck with more expensive contracts wich wont allow us to take advantages of the bridge years.. See subban and most likely galchenyuk.. I dont see how thats smart... We cannot evaluate players appropriately.

And to finnish mb hadnt even dare to make 1 deal that would put his signature with the club. At this rate by the time he is fired no one will remember nothing of his legacy... Weird clothing weird beard big ego good excuses... Mainly they will remember he got a tremendous core and couldnt improve the roster in any way.

Its all on mb. He asked for it. He get's it.

Why would bergevin and therrien have special treatments that gainey/gauthier and carbonneau/martin didnt get? When in fact molson was clear our goal was to attempt to win the cup. Not just aim for a playoff spot. Im pissed.

realest post in a while

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Have you finished rendering judgement on our bipolar fanbase after your one visit to this thread?
DSP had many supporters in many different threads over the time he was here.
He was never going to amount to much so most people weren't over the top with their endorsements.
He wasn't the problem with this team nor was he a focal point.

I'm more concerned about the fact that we aren't discussing top 6 moves that can actually have an impact on our team than the mental state of our fanbase.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Shouldn't the goal always to be a cup contender? Not we get in and then "hope for the best?" Have our goalie carry us for 3 rounds?

Of course and the team should be built that way.

No GM builds a team to just get into the playoffs.

I'm just saying because GM say the first goal is to make the playoffs, it isn't the ultimate goal.

People take does sounds bits and use them like with the quote with Tony Mariano.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
People are talking about Matteau the same way they were talking about DSP a year ago.

And yeah, I think Therrien is a pretty bad talent evaluator.

Bloumeister

Meister Mojo Rising
Apr 30, 2010
Planet Of Sound
twitter.com
There may be some truth to this but DSP was out of shape last year and that certainly wasn't on the coach. This year he started well and was definitely improved but he was invisible most nights. If DSP wanted to stay he should've played better.

Was looking for an excuse to post old 'shoops, thanks ;)

mct51VG.jpg

WVO8IhR.jpg

All kidding aside, people are going overboard with this. DSP is scoring at a 40+ percent shooting rate. It's not gonna last. 'Regression to the mean' yada yada yada. Just like Weise at the beginning of the season. Or Condon. Or the whole team, for that matter.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
People are talking about Matteau the same way they were talking about DSP a year ago.

Not that much. Therrien is not worse than any other coaches out there.

Not really. Except DSP (hot streak), no other players were better elsewhere. In fact, they were worse.

Sekac, Weise, Vanek, Tinordi is the same, Thomas is worse in the AHL now....

Maybe Parenteau but he plays on a very bad team , a lot more ice time with them than here.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Do we have a good one somewhere up above ice level?
I'm seeing three and four years of wrong...

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Not that much. Therrien is not worse than any other coaches out there.

Seriously? Therrien is not worse than any other coaches? How many other coaches would you say are worse than Therrien then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad