Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Michael Frolik signs with the Canadiens (1 year, $750K)

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Boyd and Sandin, maybe Boyd Robertson and Sandin, Maybe Boyd and Vesey although Vesey is unlikely.

It's not a big deal
So, to get back to the point of the poster you initially posted, they would need to go with a 21-player roster (not 20, as he stated), meaning that there would be one position (forwards or dmen) where they would have no back-up.

Even funnier is that cutting Boyd and Robertson (or Vesey) would mean that they would only have 11 forwards...

:skeptic:

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I'm kinda happy that he's our less talented forward. We might not have superstars (other than Jesus Price), but surely have depth

Bleeker

Mar 6, 2011
Middle Earth
I'm kinda happy that he's our less talented forward. We might not have superstars (other than Jesus Price), but surely have depth
The fact that 2 of Armia, Lehkonen and Byron will have to play on the 4th line is just crazy to me.
It's good news but Julien will still have to find a way to give these guys 12-13 minutes because they certainly are not typical 4th liners

Reactions: Bouboumaster

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So, to get back to the point of the poster you initially posted, they would need to go with a 21-player roster (not 20, as he stated), meaning that there would be one position (forwards or dmen) where they would have no back-up.

Even funnier is that cutting Boyd and Robertson (or Vesey) would mean that they would only have 11 forwards...

:skeptic:

Keefe has hinted at going 11 forwards 7 D

BobbyShehan

May 29, 2008
NJ
Used to be a big fan of bringing him to Montreal. At this point though, Weal is a better player. If Frolik is only going to the squad and play a handful of games, he might show better than last year but he looks done.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
:huh:

And you really believe that's his plan A ?

If so, do I have a great bridge for you to buy !

PS: Coming back to your first post, who are these numerous players that the Leafs could (realistically) bury ?

Well I suspect Travis Boyd will be buried so that's 700K right there.

Then you look at the defense you got

Rielly
Brodie
Muzzin
Holl
Bogosian
Dermott
Sandin
Lehtonen

Lehtonen is the wild card he is the one that has no NHL experience but he is expected to make the lineup, if he does I suspect Sandin gets send down since he is waiver exempt

That would clear just shy of 1.6 million.

If Lehtonen doesn't doesn't make it then you send down Boyd and Lehtonen and that clears over 1.6 million.

Either way Travis Boyd is likely to be sent down and there are 8 D men battling for 6, MAYBE 7 spots not everybody will make it.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He was a disaster in his final stint with the Flames, and then somehow looked even worse in Buffalo. I am genuinely shocked he got another NHL deal.

I came to say this as well. I don’t think he’s still an NHL caliber player, honestly. I wasn’t crazy about his attitude, his speed is not that great anymore and his offence has fallen off a cliff. I don’t think he will hurt anyone while on the ice as he’s a good defensive player, however I really don’t see what he adds to any team at this point.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I came to say this as well. I don’t think he’s still an NHL caliber player, honestly. I wasn’t crazy about his attitude, his speed is not that great anymore and his offence has fallen off a cliff. I don’t think he will hurt anyone while on the ice as he’s a good defensive player, however I really don’t see what he adds to any team at this point.

The extended break may help him he only had one bad year really ? Not a terrible gamble

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Well I suspect Travis Boyd will be buried so that's 700K right there.

Then you look at the defense you got

Rielly
Brodie
Muzzin
Holl
Bogosian
Dermott
Sandin
Lehtonen

Lehtonen is the wild card he is the one that has no NHL experience but he is expected to make the lineup, if he does I suspect Sandin gets send down since he is waiver exempt

That would clear just shy of 1.6 million.

If Lehtonen doesn't doesn't make it then you send down Boyd and Lehtonen and that clears over 1.6 million.

Either way Travis Boyd is likely to be sent down and there are 8 D men battling for 6, MAYBE 7 spots not everybody will make it.
:clap:

So, as I wrote, they would be playing with a 21-player roster, with no back-up either at forward or on the D.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
It's a fine deal for the Habs. But are they really the team that needed him? Or the team where he has a shot at actually earning some minutes? A lot of other teams out there with potential minutes to offer, and at least enough cap room to fit in a minimum salary sort of deal and hope he bounces back a bit.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I loved this guy when he was young and spry and on the Blackhawks.

Is he still capable of that level or has he regressed since?

Any fans who have seen him recently want post a take?

Last edited:

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
He was a disaster in his final stint with the Flames, and then somehow looked even worse in Buffalo. I am genuinely shocked he got another NHL deal.
Disaster in what way? The offense he's had is gone, apparently, but he was always a well-rounded forward. Are you telling me he can't handle bottom of the lineup and PK minutes at the NHL level anymore?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Claude will probably like him. Good defense, not a whole lot else. He was bad last year but other than that has always been a useful forward. Could see him fitting in well with the Habs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad