Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Michael Frolik signs with the Canadiens (1 year, $750K)

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Great pick up.

He’s a bottom 6er at this point, but the dude can PK really well.

Actually this was a sore spot for the habs so it might get him a full time roster spot, if he's good at it.

The PK has been overhauled with edmundson, Anderson, and frolik being added potentially.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Frolik fell off a cliff a bit last season, but even then he was still a decent 4th liner.

But as recent as the year before that he was a great 3rd liner (playing on our second line)

Reactions: FedorTyutin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Is he needed? or is he Taxi squad?

Could be 13th forward and part of our 22 man roster or on waivers then taxi squad. Weal is our problem cause even when he clears waivers, we still have to absorb $325K of cap hit. There is zero room for Weal to be part of our 22 man roster. Even in the AHL, a 22 man roster with Mete and Frolik would be $41k over the cap.

If the Habs make no more moves, Mete is probably the 21st guy and we put everyone else on the taxi squad. Frolik would have to clear waivers. Guys not exempt from waivers are Mete, Kulak, Juulsen, Evans, Frolik.

Leafs probably have to go with 20 man roster. Not sure if you can pull off a 21 man roster but it would depend on who's in and who's out. So you would have to put several guys on waivers to be on the Taxi squad as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Frolik is still in the NHL?

He's definitely a 13th forward.

I don't see him replacing anyone on the starting 12.

Unless someone is gonzo soon. Weal maybe? I doubt Bergy trades Byron.

Another move is coming that's a certainty now.

Add a 3rd to unload Weal and it's enough flexibility to run with a 22 man roster and still sign more guys to $1M and under contracts for the taxi squad. Weal's $325k cap hit after he clears waivers forces the Habs to run with a 21 man roster.

It's possible the Habs run with 21 guys and Mete is the spare one. Then Weal and Frolik are on taxi squad. Guys like Frolik, Weal, Juulsen, Kulak, Evans, Mete, Fleury have to all clear waivers... Regardless of AHL or taxi squad.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Could be 13th forward and part of our 22 man roster or on waivers then taxi squad. Weal is our problem cause even when he clears waivers, we still have to absorb $325K of cap hit. There is zero room for Weal to be part of our 22 man roster. Even in the AHL, a 22 man roster with Mete and Frolik would be $41k over the cap.

If the Habs make no more moves, Mete is probably the 21st guy and we put everyone else on the taxi squad. Frolik would have to clear waivers. Guys not exempt from waivers are Mete, Kulak, Juulsen, Evans, Frolik.

Leafs probably have to go with 20 man roster. Not sure if you can pull off a 21 man roster but it would depend on who's in and who's out. So you would have to put several guys on waivers to be on the Taxi squad as well.

Not really Engvall is waiver exempt and there are several guys and there are several guys we can bury to get under.

Robertson, Boyd, Sandin Mikko Lehtonen.

Boyd might need to clear waivers the rest don't

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Frolik can still play. He’s not a great finisher, but has a high motor and is a good guy in the dressing room. If anyone can turn Flames’ scraps into something, it’s Montreal (i.e. Paul Byron and Brett Kulak).

Julien will love him I'm sure. The high motor piece is important considering MTL's strategy is to send high intensity shifts out there by balancing TOI between 4 lines.

That's what teams without elite gamebreakers up front do!!

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's a great signing. Frolik isn't the 2nd liner he once was but you can count on him to be a very good player on the defensive side of the game

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
An NHL veteran at league minimum is hard to criticize. As a Sabre, Frolik looked awful.

He couldn't stay in the lineup for a bad team, scored his only goal into a empty net and "helped" the PK finish as one of the NHL's all-time worst.
I thought he was done as an NHLer and I am surprised by this signing. I'll be even more surprised if he helps the Habs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ana Crusis

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Meh. I guess Frolik is an upgrade on the likes of Dale Weise but the Habs have enough bodies as is. Can't hate it with league minimum salary though.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Not really Engvall is waiver exempt and there are several guys and there are several guys we can bury to get under.

Robertson, Boyd, Sandin Mikko Lehtonen.

Boyd might need to clear waivers the rest don't
The Leafs, on CapFriendly, are $1.05M over the cap with Engvall already buried in the AHL.

So they would need to cut 2 players unless they're prepared to bury someone else.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs, on CapFriendly, are $1.05M over the cap with Engvall already buried in the AHL.

So they would need to cut 2 players unless they're prepared to bury someone else.

Boyd and Sandin, maybe Boyd Robertson and Sandin, Maybe Boyd and Vesey although Vesey is unlikely.

It's not a big deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad