Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Jake Allen Extended (2 Years @ $2.875M AAV - Starting in 2021-22)

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
I'll give Berge credit for the Toffoli signing. That one was a bargain. The rest is just so meh. If g's stay healthy is Primeau going to be traded?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
It may be good value for Allen but the Habs now have $22 mill in cap space with several key roster spaces to fill. With only 5 forwards under contract..

With the cap already flat it seems like an excessive use of cap space that’s at a premium

Nobody in that group is due for huge raise. There's basically excessive depth when a solid 3rd liner like Byron ($3.5) is on 4th line, that is a luxury that can be trimmed.

drktmplr12

Feb 28, 2018
Florida
He was already signed for next season at $4.3 million or something was he not? This is an extension contract

you right, my mistake.

perhaps this lends more credence to the expansion theory? low-cost backup option with only 2 year committed for Seattle. will be easy to move on from it-there's always teams looking for backup options. might be more valuable to Seattle than any other player that will be exposed by MTL.

also puts pressure on Primeau to get ready over the next 2.5 years. 33 ahl games and one call up seems a bit soon to be penciling him into the line up.

Brownies

Bergevin’s off-season is just strange this year
From the interviews I understand that they saw early they would not be in the running for the big UFAs, so decided to identify 3-4 weaknesses and fill those needs. They needed wingers, a LD and a back up goalie and filled those positions good enough. I'm OK as long as he didn't trade picks or prospects to fill those needs because he'll have to find a way to get some elite talent at some point (and also manages to bring the new guys without losing the locker room).

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
$13 million in goalies is an interesting allocation of cap space.
A strange off season by Montreal. Some really good moves interspersed with some real head scratchers.

Reactions: Wats

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
Maybe they are trying to move Carey? Or expose him next year?

Unless Price poops the crease this season I don't really see him moving or being exposed.

No.
Primeau will play 2 more years in the ahl.
We trade Allen when he has 1 year left, and Primeau takes over as the nhl backup.

That is also a possibility. Allen would have value with one year left @ that cap hit.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
also puts pressure on Primeau to get ready over the next 2.5 years. 33 ahl games and one call up seems a bit soon to be penciling him into the line up.

Fair point but if he's not ready, it's not exactly difficult to pick up a half decent backup (despite the Habs struggles to do so in recent years)

Paying a premium to fill a position where you have a $10M+ starter just doesn't make sense to me, even if Allen is a great backup to low end starter

Your expansion theory makes some sense, but there's gonna potentially be a lot of interesting names for Seattle to look at beyond just Allen

Reactions: drktmplr12

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Well there goes 2 million of our cap space that I thought we'd have for next year...Primeau would have cost $880,000 up to maybe $960,000 depending on performance.

Hopefully next year, Caufield can come in as a cheap forward option.

Surperior niemi

Feb 2, 2019
Well there goes 2 million of our cap space that I thought we'd have for next year...Primeau would have cost $880,000 up to maybe $960,000 depending on performance.

Hopefully next year, Caufield can come in as a cheap forward option.
this is why all the draft picks we're still stockpiling are starting to look better and better, gives us assets to get out of bad contracts and assets to get cheap young talent lost in this as well is Poehling

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
The less term the better, but he's no longer an asset for this season should Montreal suck again. Not that he would've been a huge one in that case.

If Seattle doesn't take him, then he's a 31 year old backup with 2 years left. That's not worth much. 32 with 1 year, easier to move, but is he still worth getting?

Not a crazy contract by itself, it's just that if you add it with Price, it's that much more cap taken up by aging goalies.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Good value for what Allen brings to the table. MB showing that he isn't just planning one year at a time.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Cheap, easy to move and Montreal needed a goaltender under contract for the expension draft. Wich is in my opinion the primary reason.
Any further questions can be directed to this man . He clearly understands the big picture . Moving along .

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
This is a good move...That is a bargain contract for Allen. He is now VERY tradeable anytime over next 3 years and attractive to Seattle or any team that needs a backup solution. Allen could have gotten more maybe if things recover (look at Crawford) but seems to value the security, takes the term, 6$ million USD in the bank to play hockey, no drama of looking for a contract next year.
This, if not taken by Seattle, rather than losing him for nothing Habs will be able to get something for him (pick) by trade when Primeau is ready.

Last edited:

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
That’s pretty attracting for Seattle. Maybe the idea was to give him a nice contract so Seattle would claim him and he will have a chance to battle for starting job there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad