Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Jake Allen Extended (2 Years @ $2.875M AAV - Starting in 2021-22)

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
Bergevin has been saddled with terrible backups for so long, at least this gives him some assurance that he can either expose him to expansion or have someone to pick up the pieces in case Primeau is not ready... or... trade Carey (ahahah I know, no one takes that contract)

Reactions: bretpatrick7

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
This is a good move...That is a bargain contract for Allen. He is now VERY tradeable anytime over next 3 years and attractive to Seattle or any team that needs a backup solution. Allen could have gotten more maybe if things recover (look at Crawford) but seems to value the security, takes the term, 6$ million USD in the bank to play hockey, no drama of looking for a contract next year.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
The covid cash crunch doesn't seem to really be affecting goalie's earning power, now does it.... as long as you're perceived as one of the top 60, that is

Agree with the consensus, odd to extend him when he hasn't played for you yet and with a capable young goalie in the mix

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This is a good move...That is a bargain contract for Allen. He is now VERY tradeable anytime over next 3 years and attractive to Seattle or any team that needs a backup solution. Allen could have gotten more maybe if things recover (look at Crawford) but seems to value the security, takes the term, 6$ million USD in the bank to play hockey, no drama of looking for a contract next year.

It may be good value for Allen but the Habs now have $22 mill in cap space with several key roster spaces to fill. With only 5 forwards under contract..

With the cap already flat it seems like an excessive use of cap space that’s at a premium

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
Good signing based on last year's numbers. But could he repeat them for 2 more years?

Long gone are the days were goalies like Brodeur could play 95% of the games.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Yeah potentially not a bad contract if Allen can back up 30 games, but similarly as to the Anderson's case... why don't you WAIT at least a dozen games into the season? I wonder how that affect Gallagher and Danault's morale going forward. Business is business, but it clearly looks like they're not really parts of the plan going forward, and with the lack of communication to the players from management, that might be 2 very important players to make unhappy lol

To see how they play, but also how they fit in with the team... What happens if everyone in the room hates Allen's guts, or Anderson's?

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
I didn't see this one coming either. 2 Things I think here. Either MB doesn't think Primeau will be ready by then or it is a Seattle exposure. I don't know why he extended him now. I am starting to think that Gallagher could be moved sooner rather than later.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I didn't see this one coming either. 2 Things I think here. Either MB doesn't think Primeau will be ready by then or it is a Seattle exposure. I don't know why he extended him now. I am starting to think that Gallagher could be moved sooner rather than later.

You answered your own question. He's a good stopgap and is getting paid lower than the average.

Brownies

I'm kind of OK with Bergevin's summer if he manages to find a way to start the next season with and happy Gallagher and an happy Danault. If we plan on winning with 3 equal scoring lines we need those guys who have showed to not crumble under the pressure in Montreal and maintain good possession stats.

Reactions: Fisticuffer

bretpatrick7

Apr 17, 2015
Why now? What's the rush? I don't understand these extensions to these replaceable players, and it's not like it's dirt cheap.
Expansion draft. also montreal has had a wave of backup goalies coming in and out. This gives some security on the backup position so Price can be rested; however he may be picked up by Seattle given he has a nice contract, but that way we don't lose anyone else. He's expendable,

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad