Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] G Jake Allen signs extensions with the Canadiens (2 years, $3.85M AAV)

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It's supposed to be the mindset of a team entering Year 2 of their rebuild

No. It's the mindset of a perpetually rebuilding team. Year 2 means nothing. You're focusing on the "re" and forgetting the "building".

For 4 million a season, I imagine quite a few backup goalies would want to be there

"Backup goalies" that:
- Can provide the level of goaltending Allen does
- Want to play in Montreal
- Buys in the plan
- Is a well liked member of the room
- Has proven leadership to young goalies

I'd say not too many goalies check all the boxes Allen does. I look at the 2023 UFA and no one really interest me more than Allen considering cap hit and deal lenght.

Reactions: TK 421

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
No. It's the mindset of a perpetually rebuilding team. Year 2 means nothing. You're focusing on the "re" and forgetting the "building".

"Backup goalies" that:
- Can provide the level of goaltending Allen does
- Want to play in Montreal
- Buys in the plan
- Is a well liked member of the room
- Has proven leadership to young goalies

I'd say not too many goalies check all the boxes Allen does. I look at the 2023 UFA and no one really interest me more than Allen considering cap hit and deal lenght.

This isn't a "you're wrong, I'm right" type situation

At nearly 4 million, Allen wouldn't have been part of my plans if I were the GM of the Habs

Obviously you have a different perspective on the matter than I do

Kudos to us!

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
This isn't a "you're wrong, I'm right" type situation

At nearly 4 million, Allen wouldn't have been part of my plans if I were the GM of the Habs

Obviously you have a different perspective on the matter than I do

Kudos to us!
Why is the dollar mount important to you? Team is rebuilding the term is a lot more important and 2 years is very good for the planned window.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Always liked Allen but he didn't look very good last night.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You know what you're getting from Allen. Some stinkers. Some good play. But most of all you're not killing confidence in a young goalie. He's a vet and will do what you ask him to do. He's not going to go on amazing hot streak carrying the team like Price, but he's also not asked or expected to do that.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
They'll be a CAP floor team the next couple of years - weird to be nit-picking their stop gap goaltender.

Allen isn't great but he's the best option at the moment until the Habs can get to the next level.

It's weird that you think someone who would have used the cap space differently is "nit-picking"

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah, i don't really see anything negative about this for Montreal. Other than the fact it pretty much spells out that Price is done. Obviously that sucks, be we already kinda knew that.

Allen is decent enough to kinda hold things together, give the developing young players in front of him at least a fighting chance some nights. Nothing more demoralizing for a developing young core, than going out there knowing that no matter what you do, your lack of stable goaltending is going to cost you the game every night.

Gives them a few years to figure out where "the future" lies for the Habs goaltending situation. Not really enough time to draft and develop, so if "The Guy" isn't already in the system, probably going to have to bridge to some other sort of solution after this contract. But it buys them a little bit of time.

Or if things change, i still think that's definitely a moveable contract, for an asset. He's a good enough goaltender to be wanted, even if his numbers are going to continue to be dragged through the mud behind that defence...i think most people paying attention understand the context there and can look past it.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't know why we ever extended Allen? He is very mediocre goalie. At near 4m it is just caproom thrown away. A weak starter, decent backup. His save percentage has slipped below .900% after last night.

He is decent depth backup for a top team fighting for a Cup. At 2.8 million, Habs could have returned a 2nd or so at deadline. But two more years at near 4 million negates what value he had.

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I don't know why we ever extended Allen? He is very mediocre goalie. At near 4m it is just caproom thrown away. A weak starter, decent backup. His save percentage has slipped below .900% after last night.

He is decent depth backup for a top team fighting for a Cup. At 2.8 million, Habs could have returned a 2nd or so at deadline. But two more years at near 4 million negates what value he had.

The Habs are exceeding from where they were thought to be. Everyone figured that this would be another rebuilding year and the Habs would be a bottom feeder. The team was going into the season with Price out, four rookie defencemen, forward depth but many upcoming UFAs to trade off come the deadline. I’m not so sure that the management was sure on Primeau taking over next year going forward.

All signs pointed to a long season ahead and with the sell off to only get worse. They were still a few years away from the playoffs and needed a stopgap goalie. Most figured that the defence would be giving up many shots a game and it is nice to have a veteran like Allen in net. It is not some young goalie that will get lit up or some random UFA goalie. Management decided to pay him well for the situation that they are putting him in. He is exceeding.

Reactions: Dempsey and Shad

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Crazy that a career tandem goalie isn't taking the league by storm starting for last year's bottom place team that started with 4 rookies on defense.

Reactions: Myopinionsarewrong

Guy Larose

Jan 25, 2018

Yeah well we explained it a million times in the Habs board but continue to "wonder". They needed an experienced goalie one way or the other and would have just been in the market for another Allen type. Not rocket science.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Habs are exceeding from where they were thought to be. Everyone figured that this would be another rebuilding year and the Habs would be a bottom feeder. The team was going into the season with Price out, four rookie defencemen, forward depth but many upcoming UFAs to trade off come the deadline. I’m not so sure that the management was sure on Primeau taking over next year going forward.

All signs pointed to a long season ahead and with the sell off to only get worse. They were still a few years away from the playoffs and needed a stopgap goalie. Most figured that the defence would be giving up many shots a game and it is nice to have a veteran like Allen in net. It is not some young goalie that will get lit up or some random UFA goalie. Management decided to pay him well for the situation that they are putting him in. He is exceeding.
Allen has .898% save percentage. He's playing worse than Monty at league minimum. It what imaginary world is he exceeding?

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Based on previous years we had one NHL level goalie coming into this year. Even though this deal is certainly an overpayment Allen has performed just fine for his role and goalies don't tend to return much at the TDL anyway. Monty seems to have made some serious improvement from last year so that's definitely a bonus and might make the Allen extension unnecessary but it's a small sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad