Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] G Jake Allen signs extensions with the Canadiens (2 years, $3.85M AAV)

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
So, again, enlighten us where the actual negativity comes from? Unless there's a top notch goalie thar becomes ufa before his contract is up and signs with the Habs, then maybe it becomes a problem.
honest criticism isn't negativity, i just dont think he's worth the money and term at his age. he's only considered a starter because he's in Montreal

he's gonna be making nearly 4M AFTER this season and his SV% has been 0.906 as a Hab over 64 games

if 4M for 0.906% SV is market price now then that's pretty bad

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
idk how this strengthens your argument because all those guys have trash contracts aside from Talbot

I'm glad you're not my lawyer cuz id be fcked lol

If all contract in this range are trash, maybe your evaluation of goalie value is what is trash?

You have an evaluation of goalies which is not grounded in reality.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
honest criticism isn't negativity, i just dont think he's worth the money and term at his age. he's only considered a starter because he's in Montreal

he's gonna be making nearly 4M AFTER this season and his SV% has been 0.906 as a Hab over 64 games

Is it ? No, but there's also no context. If he was behind a good team, then it's why is he here ? If he's behind a crap team...

Unless you're thinking Montreal is good then, but everyone knows they're not.

However, there's a goalie out there that's soon ufa that people think is a better goalie, but has had a lower save percentage over the last 3 seasons and the supposed cost is a 1st++ for him.

Habs will still have the cap space to take on bad contracts, or retain for a team.

The negativity that comes from this would be if they were better, or further ahead in the rebuild.

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Reliable goaltending has become hard to find. Allen isn't the goalie of the future, but he'll keep the team from falling apart while the Habs' youth develops. The team collapsed last year when Allen was injured and they were forced to play their 3rd-5th string goalies.
At least we were able to showcase Habs legend Andrew Hammond and get something for him, still can't believe it happened lmao.

He's better than Jack Campbell IMO, now that's a thrash contract

• Haha
Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Overpayment to play for a rebuilding team. But there's cap space while the rebuild happens so it doesn't matter much.

Overpayment compared to who?

The only UFA goalie in that salary range that is arguably better than Allen is Talbot and he's due for a new contract as well.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
This is a fair deal for both sides. Obviously MTL will likely not be competing for a playoff spot but they need a decent netminder who will buy into the direction of the franchise and Allen gets playing time + money.

Also didn’t Allen play his junior hockey in MTL?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
This all but proves that Price is finished.

I figured that is the plan was to have Price come back that the plan was to have Primeau or Monty back him up next season. Cheap contract to offset Price’s big one in net. Signing Allen this early would lead to a really expensive backup going forward the next few years and that doesn’t make any sense.

With Price on the LTIR, Allen as the starter and Primeau or Monty or whoever cheap as a backup will mean a sub 5 million cap hit in net for the next couple of years. Habs are not going to be a playoff team that quickly so just do the rebuild correct and draft and develop a goalie. Not sure if their are any studs in this years draft but they do have Florida’s 1st round pick.

As much as most Habs fans wanted Allen traded for assets for the rebuild I just don’t see him with lots of value. He is a solid backup goalie but that is his max. No team will trade for him to be their starter. He would be more of an insurance plan on if the starter got injured. No team would pay a big price for him in a trade. My guess is that his max value would be a mid round pick.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
This all but proves that Price is finished.

I figured that is the plan was to have Price come back that the plan was to have Primeau or Monty back him up next season. Cheap contract to offset Price’s big one in net. Signing Allen this early would lead to a really expensive backup going forward the next few years and that doesn’t make any sense.

With Price on the LTIR, Allen as the starter and Primeau or Monty or whoever cheap as a backup will mean a sub 5 million cap hit in net for the next couple of years. Habs are not going to be a playoff team that quickly so just do the rebuild correct and draft and develop a goalie. Not sure if their are any studs in this years draft but they do have Florida’s 1st round pick.

As much as most Habs fans wanted Allen traded for assets for the rebuild I just don’t see him with lots of value. He is a solid backup goalie but that is his max. No team will trade for him to be their starter. He would be more of an insurance plan on if the starter got injured. No team would pay a big price for him in a trade. My guess is that his max value would be a mid round pick.
I think he would have had value to a desperate team about 20 games into the season. Goaltending pickings are fairly slim atm.

Last edited:

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
I think he would have had value to a desperate team about 20 games into the season. Goaltending pickings are fairly slim atm.
Goalies like Allen just do not hold a lot of trade value. He's more valuable to the Habs right now than the 3rd round or later pick he would probably return in your "20 games into the season" scenario.

Reactions: Habsrule

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Always funny to see trolls and armchair GMs from other teams overreact to an inconsequential amount of money.

Allen is the right guy for the next three years (year remaining and two year extension). His experience will allow him to handle the amount of high quality shots and not wilt. There will be no erosion of confidence as a result.

Montembault isn't a long-term solution. Primeau isn't ready. It's unclear if he ever will be. Allen gives them time to try and find the next one for when the core group are ready to contend.

$3.85 million AAV for two years isn't too much for that.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Habs are a rebuilding team, Allen brings stability and leadership for incoming growing pains. He did well since he's with the Habs, nothing premature there, at least for me.
If Allen is worth what the Habs just signed him to, it means he should've been able to fetch a 2nd rd pick in a trade, which seems more valuable to a rebuilding team than whatever stability and leadership Allen will provide

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Goalies like Allen just do not hold a lot of trade value. He's more valuable to the Habs right now than the 3rd round or later pick he would probably return in your "20 games into the season" scenario.
It's always based on need and the market at the time. If there's nothing available, an overpay is possible.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
it's a good deal for an average starter. There's also no guarantee he will play out his contract in Montreal. I don 't think he's dealt this year, but during the next two TDL is a possibility.
This is a warning at Primeau and Montebeault ( who let in an atrocious goal vs Leafs)
that their jobs are on the line.

Gorton said as much on Nilan's podcast that the goaltender position was wide open and they're looking for that post-CP31 starter.

Allen is the seat-warmer for now.

If they weren't looking for a post Price starter I'd want them fired immediately. This roster is a handful to fix, but the goalie situation is extremely scary.

Theres been a few good signs from Primeau in the playoffs last year, and Dobes in University, so I'm crossing my fingers that the solution is internal and simply growing their game.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Allen is a very solid 1B type goalie but will play a 1A role with the Habs. Not worth the money and term at his age? He's only 32 and signed for 3 years now and you act like he's getting paid $6M+. Way to exaggerate your "honest criticism"

Looking at stats for a goalie on a bad team is a rookie mistake. Just like looking at stats for a goalie on a very good team. Your assessment has flaws.

You want to talk bad contract? Signing Campbell to a 5 year contract at $5M. You put Allen in Campbell's situation last year with the Leafs and the "stats" are similar. I hope the Oilers have a better team D this year bud

Wait your complaining about Allen getting 3.85 a season.:lol:
Try looking in your own back yard. 5 mil per for WHO.

Just said the same thing. Fans will be fans. Campbell on the Leafs who made him look better than what he is and the Oilers think they found their 5 year solution. Koskinen round 2... . hopefully they Oilers get a little better than that so we will see.

This is a solid signing due to the Habs direction at this point. Allen is a bridge.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If Allen is worth what the Habs just signed him to, it means he should've been able to fetch a 2nd rd pick in a trade, which seems more valuable to a rebuilding team than whatever stability and leadership Allen will provide

Not if you have your best defense prospects looking to make NHL in next couple years (Guhle/Barron/Harris). There's going to be a lot of mistakes by them and it'd be nice to have some of them be stopped. Not only that, Allen will almost guaranteed be lit up this season, there might be some bonus money in there to have him stay in such a bad situation for his stats.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
I don't love the contract value wise, but I mean...Allen wants to be there, doesn't mind the team rebuilding, and there is almost no risk to overpaying a little. A lot of hand wringing over a nothing move imo.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't love the contract value wise, but I mean...Allen wants to be there, doesn't mind the team rebuilding, and there is almost no risk to overpaying a little. A lot of hand wringing over a nothing move imo.

For 4 million a season, I imagine quite a few backup goalies would want to be there

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
He's really not worth close to 4 million. But, to Montreal, he's not not worth that either.

Allen can hold down a borderline starter load while they try out some of the young options like Montembeault and Primeau alongside him. Plus, he doesn't completely block the door for an unlikely return for Price.

Allen is exactly what they need for the next few years. Rebuilds need roster turnover, while maintaining some on-ice stability. Allen provides a dose of that.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Let's face it he wouldn't have fetched much on the trade market anyway. I'm cool with this although I agree it should've been a bit less on the AAV. But then again they're asking for a good goalie to sign with a team that has a defense lead by Mike Matheson, so it's not like the Habs had any leverage here.
Yeah, my only thought was if he plays well and a contender loses a goalie his value could spike but a lot of ifs to rely on

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

That's the mentality of a perpetualy rebuilding team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad