Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] G Jake Allen signs extensions with the Canadiens (2 years, $3.85M AAV)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Reliable goaltending has become hard to find. Allen isn't the goalie of the future, but he'll keep the team from falling apart while the Habs' youth develops. The team collapsed last year when Allen was injured and they were forced to play their 3rd-5th string goalies.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Kind of wanted him to be trade bait but I'd imagine he's a good presence to have in the room. Think it should be a little closer to 3 but oh well

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
He's a veteran that is well liked in the room, and will allow us to at worst platoon for two more years with a tandem goalie as our starter which means we won't win a ton but games won't be hopeless for our young developing players.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
If Price really is done, I'm sad but love this deal. Allen deserves a nice payday for having to deal with this rebuild and still showing up every game

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Great for Jake. Glad to see him get another nice contract. He’s going to earn that money with the abuse he’s going to take. Dude will see more rubber than a street walker, but at least the Habs wont need to worry about goat-lending. Allen has earned the right to baaah while Carey Price tends to his own flock.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Great for Jake. Glad to see him get another nice contract. He’s going to earn that money with the abuse he’s going to take. Dude will see more rubber than a street walker, but at least the Habs wont need to worry about goat-lending. Allen has earned the right to baaah while Carey Price tends to his own flock.
... :laugh:

I feel weird being on the same side as a Blues fan. Allen deserves a lot of respect. He's a pretty good player and seems well liked by just about everybody that works with him. He's been thrown to the wolves and doesn't complain.

GordonGraham

Sep 12, 2009
Should have been moved for assets at the trade deadline

maybe they are planning on having him backing for Price's big comeback in 2023-2024 :sarcasm:

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Good for Jake, you love to see it! Good goalie, and by all accounts an even better person.

This is the kind of contract Montreal can probably retain 50% on and flip at the 2024 TDL for a decent asset.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Kind of wanted him to be trade bait but I'd imagine he's a good presence to have in the room. Think it should be a little closer to 3 but oh well
Let's face it he wouldn't have fetched much on the trade market anyway. I'm cool with this although I agree it should've been a bit less on the AAV. But then again they're asking for a good goalie to sign with a team that has a defense lead by Mike Matheson, so it's not like the Habs had any leverage here.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
idk how Jake Allen keeps getting these contracts from MTL. He's hella mediocre

I suggest looking at UFA goalies with comparable salaries and coming back here with an apology.

EDIT: Let me help you
Jonathan Bernier 4.1M
Petr Mrazek 3.8M
Cam Talbot 3.667M
Chris Driedger 3.5M
Anton Khudobin 3.333M

Allen is better than all of these goalies except arguably Talbot.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
A year too long and .5m too much, but meh, inconsequential. I wouldn’t have made this deal, but it doesn’t hurt.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I suggest looking at UFA goalies with comparable salaries and coming back here with an apology.

EDIT: Let me help you
Jonathan Bernier 4.1M
Petr Mrazek 3.8M
Cam Talbot 3.667M
Chris Driedger 3.5M
Anton Khudobin 3.333M

Allen is better than all of these goalies except arguably Talbot.
idk how this strengthens your argument because all those guys have trash contracts aside from Talbot

I'm glad you're not my lawyer cuz id be fcked lol

Reactions: capazzo

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Nah, you'd be f***ed because your lawyer would be making good points, but you wouldn't understand them and fire their ass.
Ok so:
-Allen signs a trash contract
-Poster compares Allen's trash contract to similar trash contracts
-lmaooooo. you're basically being proud you have the least shittiest contract out of the pile of other shitty contracts

a rebuilding team like MTL is better off giving minutes and opportunities to young guys instead of giving starts to a washed-up Allen

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Ok so:
-Allen signs a trash contract
-Poster compares Allen's trash contract to similar trash contracts
-lmaooooo. you're basically being proud you have the least shittiest contract out of the pile of other shitty contracts

a rebuilding team like MTL is better off giving minutes and opportunities to young guys instead of giving starts to a washed-up Allen
They give under 3 mill to Allen, who's, at best a 1b goalie, but a decent backup. Expensive as a backup, but Price isn't really there, so now he's the most expensive goalie they have.

Having Allen doesn't mean they can't play Monty, or Primeau. Allen and Monty can play 50/30.

Let's say Primeau takes the step, then next year he and Allen can play 50/30 and the year after Primeau can be the starter and have an experienced backup to help. If Primeau falters, Allen is capable to step in and provide solid goaltending

What is looking to be most likely is Allen is the starter with a rotating cast of backups and the Habs get some draft picks.

The cap is also going up.

So, again, enlighten us where the actual negativity comes from? Unless there's a top notch goalie thar becomes ufa before his contract is up and signs with the Habs, then maybe it becomes a problem.

Reactions: viceroy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad