Confirmed with Link: [MTL/FLA] Mike Weaver to MTL in exchange for 5th round pick in 2015

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
? is whatever on the pick that is gone,

but who sits because of him, and the guy that sits, how much better is the new guy?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Surprised by this move. A 5th is rather meaningless but figured we had a lot of depth at D as is. Unless Weaver is better than our usual suspects by a large margin that is.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I'm with you on your stance towards Weaver and in most of your views, but I think some dudes who lack size provide true grit. A guy like Domi or even Tucker,....Rypien.

Weaver though...I just think he IS a smaller Gorges.

For perspective.

Bouillon fought the pest Roussel earlier this season. Cube handled him nicely.

Weaver fought the pest Roussel earlier this season and Roussel destroyed him (but it was only his 3rd fight in 7 seasons :handclap: )

Weaver and grit do not go together. He will not be clearing the crease. Nor will he stop the scrums that will happen in front of Price. With that said, Weaver is fearless when it comes to blocking shots though.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
:laugh::laugh:

5' 9", 180 lbs should never ever, never EVER be confused for grit in the NHL. He is a smaller version of Gorges.

Didnt the word "moar" run its course already and is now considered passe'?

Just out of curiosity, what is it exactly you are compensating for in your personal life with all of this "Too Small" or "Too Soft" debate you like to do? If this conversation was about Gionta or DD you might have a point but it is not.

Have you ever watched him play? Fact is he brings a gritty attitude and play to the rink every night and does not shy away from contact in order to do his job.

If talent comes with size that's one thing but if it is size for the sake of size such as the case of Murray, you are only holding your team back. With the exception of throwing dumb hits that result in interference penalties, there is nothing Murray does that is better than what Weaver brings to a team and in fairness Weaver is a huge upgrade in terms of mobility and puck moving. What does it matter if he is 5'10" 183 lbs when he brings every aspect a complete hockey player should bring?

Also, as for your first statement, it's good to know that Gallagher is not a gritty player in your eyes.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
For perspective.

Weaver fought the pest Roussel earlier this season and Roussel destroyed him (but it was only his 3rd fight in 7 seasons :handclap: )

Weaver and grit do not go together. He will not be clearing the crease. Nor will he stop the scrums that will happen in front of Price. With that said, Weaver is fearless when it comes to blocking shots though.

Grit in psychology is a positive, non-cognitive trait based on an individual’s passion for a particular long-term goal or endstate coupled with a powerful motivation to achieve their respective objective. This perseverance of effort promotes the overcoming of obstacles or challenges that lie within a gritty individual’s path to accomplishment and serves as a driving force in achievement realization. Commonly associated concepts within the field of psychology include "perseverance," "hardiness," "resilience,†“ambition,†“need for achievement†and conscientiousness.

Since when does grit mean toughness? Pretty clear blocking shots and being a gorges type implies grit.

HabFanatic

Jun 16, 2012
If he's is better at his job, that is being a defensive defenseman, than Boullion, or Murray then perfect. But I really do hope that a little more is done and we don't end up losing assets for nothing a la koviu, kovalev and the rest.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
For perspective.

Either way, Weaver will either play with Murray or Tinordi so if you really want to see someone fight then they can go ahead and do it.

Although, when did grit become fighting ability? He may not be as pronounced as Murray in the clearing the crease category but I'm curious where you got your information about Weaver on the subject.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Just out of curiosity, what is it exactly you are compensating for in your personal life with all of this "Too Small" or "Too Soft" debate you like to do? If this conversation was about Gionta or DD you might have a point but it is not.

Have you ever watched him play? Fact is he brings a gritty attitude and play to the rink every night and does not shy away from contact in order to do his job.

If talent comes with size that's one thing but if it is size for the sake of size such as the case of Murray, you are only holding your team back. With the exception of throwing dumb hits that result in interference penalties, there is nothing Murray does that is better than what Weaver brings to a team and in fairness Weaver is a huge upgrade in terms of mobility and puck moving. What does it matter if he is 5'10" 183 lbs when he brings every aspect a complete hockey player should bring?

Also, as for your first statement, it's good to know that Gallagher is not a gritty player in your eyes.

What I bolded........:laugh::laugh:

Why is that the pat line for folks like you? A sexual innuendo questioning a person's manhood? Weak man, weak. You worry about yours, OK?

Did you watch the game against the Kings? The Kings outmuscled the Habs last night and controlled pretty much the entire game. The same held true for the Ottawa Senators in last years playoffs.

But if you think that the Kings game last night had anything to do with "compensating", then go right ahead and believe that.:laugh:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Since when does grit mean toughness? Pretty clear blocking shots and being a gorges type implies grit.

With that definition, every player in the NHL is gritty because I am sure that every player had an obstacle or challenge that they overcame to make it to the big show.

There is a difference between the literal and the figurative.

HABSINCE76

May 31, 2009
Ive been a hardcore fan for 33 years now and im seriously wondering what am I doing putting my heart and hope into an organization that cant seem to hire management that seem to know anything about hockey whatsoever.This is a slap in the face to all fans of this organization and a slap to the 5 defenseman in Hamilton that would be a better choice than this bum whos only talent is to kill penalties.We waste another 5th round pick cap space and a roster spot........when your a top six forward and a top four defenceman away from seriously competing in the playoffs you go and get those player Bergevin and staff stop #$@#%?$%# around and do your #%$#$%#?%# jobs!!!!!!!!!!

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Stop watching? That's a little extreme, dont you think?:sarcasm:

The problem is that I have been watching. The Habs do not need a clone of Gorges to be the missing piece of the puzzle that brings home a Cup.

And that is not a knock on Weaver. I am sure that he will be a serviceable DMan who will do his job. Forgive me for saying this as others have said it............Weaver DOES NOT address a glaring need on this team. Who cares that we gave up a 5th round pick either?

The only saving grace is that Bergevin brought in Weaver because he is going to trade one of our D to address our biggest need. We need a LW to replace Bourque. The Eller line with Bourque is completely useless. Matt Moulson would immediately address that need.

However, we will have to see what happens tomorrow. If this is all Bergevin has for the Habs, then it is a pointless exercise as we continue to rack up the years without a Cup.

We ain't trying to win the cup this year, well we are every year but we are not going to go balls to the wall and put everything on the line with this team. This year is about building upon last year and giving our young upcoming players a little bit more of a taste of playoff hockey.

Our glaring hole can't be filled at the deadline with a rental. We need a long term solution. Now isn't the time to buy, we are better off making a trade for a signed player that can contribute for more than 3 months.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa

Why is that the pat line for folks like you? A sexual innuendo questioning a person's manhood? Weak man, weak. You worry about yours, OK?

Did you watch the game against the Kings? The Kings outmuscled the Habs last night and controlled pretty much the entire game. The same held true for the Ottawa Senators in last years playoffs.

But if you think that the Kings game last night had anything to do with "compensating", then go right ahead and believe that.:laugh:

:laugh: I love how everyone loves to act defensive (whether subconsciously or not) and assume I'm, or anyone that is inferring really, referring to manhood when that comes up. Since you always concentrate on height, in fact your off-season ridiculous cutoff was 6'3" last summer for new players on our team, I was curious where you actually stood in that regard. Ever heard of "Short Man Syndrome"? I was just wondering if you, as the loudest of the nondiscriminatory "Too Small" campaign fit the bill, or what other reason you might have to directly equate height with toughness and grit.

As for the Kings, the DD line skated circles around them but had little finish combined with Quick's great play. Apart for Gionta and Bourque there really wasn't much in the sense of getting out-muscled. The Kings are definitely a better puck possession team and also have a good system defensively. Although the Kings have more muscle than the Habs, last night was an example of running into a team with a much better system that know what they are doing than it was a case of lack of strength.

The two goals came from defensive breakdowns, one on the rush and one in the circle for a one-timer, which are two areas extra bulk won't help.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
For someone who missed the trade deadline, reading this thread was absolutely hilarious. The over-reaction to trading for an underrated defenseman like Weaver in exchange of a 5th round pick, oh man :laugh:

Seriously, all of us need to take a little breather sometimes. Habs fans are just way too over-dramatic.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 10m

Hearing #Habs Rene Bourque who has 2 yrs left on 6 yr deal could be on the move. Salary dips to $2.5 mill next 2 yrs. $3.3 AAV. #Avs #Kings

Saintpatrick*

Too bad the Habs are never allowed a true rebuild. Lateral moves, putting a bandaid on a sucking chest wound makes this team a perennial "make the playoffs on the last day of the season" team.
Did you all see what happens when you add size AND speed? You have the LA Kings. Last night's score was flattering because the Kings dominated for 60 minutes. The more things change, the more they stay the same. I bet that was it for trades. Habs could be smart and get some good young players for some of the vets on this team. Bergevin won't do it, he is clueless as to what it takes to build a winner.

I don't blame Bergevin it's been this way what, 20 years now. It has to be the owner influencing these type of deals. Playoffs = big money. Molson can't miss out on the golden goose.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005

I'm totally with this analysis. It's a very simple argument that physical size is important in a physical contest. It bewilders me that some people want to try and dispute this.

Anyway given that we are the league's smallest team, if someone had told me yesterday that Bergevin would acquire the smallest player of the twelve or so who have moved so far, I would have thought they were trolling. But Weaver 5'9" 180lbs wow.

After Briere, Thomas and now this. it almost seems Bergevin is doing this on purpose. Maybe he believes small players are undervalued by the other GMs and he's clever to collect them? Or maybe he has a cunning plan, a novel strategy MT will reveal in the playoffs, wherein small will beat big. Something like the Mighty Ducks Flying V ?

Less than 20 hours remaining... (Of course I agree that size without skill is not good.)

Last edited:

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
For someone who missed the trade deadline, reading this thread was absolutely hilarious. The over-reaction to trading for an underrated defenseman like Weaver in exchange of a 5th round pick, oh man :laugh:

Seriously, all of us need to take a little breather sometimes. Habs fans are just way too over-dramatic.

Missed? Tomorrow might even be better.:yo:

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
With that definition, every player in the NHL is gritty because I am sure that every player had an obstacle or challenge that they overcame to make it to the big show.

There is a difference between the literal and the figurative.

Not necessarily. We can all agree it takes some form of work even with natural talent to make the NHL but if we speak in relative terms one can be gritty compared to his peers. Gorges is one of those for example.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Ive been a hardcore fan for 33 years now and im seriously wondering what am I doing putting my heart and hope into an organization that cant seem to hire management that seem to know anything about hockey whatsoever.This is a slap in the face to all fans of this organization and a slap to the 5 defenseman in Hamilton that would be a better choice than this bum whos only talent is to kill penalties.We waste another 5th round pick cap space and a roster spot........when your a top six forward and a top four defenceman away from seriously competing in the playoffs you go and get those player Bergevin and staff stop #$@#%?$%# around and do your #%$#$%#?%# jobs!!!!!!!!!!

What if price for said top 6 forward and top 4 D is too high?

Saintpatrick*

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 10m

Hearing #Habs Rene Bourque who has 2 yrs left on 6 yr deal could be on the move. Salary dips to $2.5 mill next 2 yrs. $3.3 AAV. #Avs #Kings

I hope so. Tired of his lazy ass.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
I'm totally with this analysis. It's a very simple argument that physical size is important in a physical contest. It bewilders me that some people want to try and dispute this.

Anyway given that we are the league's smallest team, if someone had told me yesterday that Bergevin would acquire the smallest player of the twelve or so who have moved so far, I would have thought they were trolling. But Weaver 5'9" 180lbs wow.

After Briere, Thomas and now this. it almost seems Bergevin is doing this on purpose. Maybe he believes small players are undervalued by the other GMs and he's clever to collect them? Or maybe he has a cunning plan, a novel strategy MT will reveal in the playoffs, wherein small will beat big. Something like the Mighty Ducks Flying V ?

20 hours remaining...

(Of course I agree that size without skill is not good.)

But then you get players like Bourque that have size and skill but doesn't seem to know how or want to use it. I'd rather a team of Weavers at 5'10" 183 that actually make an effort physically than Bourques at 6'2" 215 that doesn't seem to put the effort in.

My point isn't to argue against that being larger makes it easier to be tougher but that can we at least look at how a player plays and uses his size rather than look only at the size and assume that he can't be physical in the NHL because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad