Confirmed with Link: [MTL/FLA] Mike Weaver to MTL in exchange for 5th round pick in 2015

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Oh good, on top of all knowing aspiring GM you are also a mind reader.:laugh: No backtrack, simply a mislead most people assume with the original comment.

The correlation I was curious for was not in the ability of the player compared to the size of the fan as you pointed out but the mentality of the fan to demand size in their favorite team's roster. You're the one that has drawn an arbitrary line (6'3" if I recall correctly/feel free to correct me/it's somewhere in the "Do the Habs need an Enforcer" thread).

If you are a smaller team and try to run through a larger team then that is one thing (MT has the wrong system currently) but we were even smaller under JM (with no enforcer) and yet managed a run in the playoffs under a system that suited our players better and didn't put them in position to have to run literally through the opposition. Team systems should suit the team that is using it.

Would it be great to have a team of big talented players? Sure. (especially if MT is here for the long run) But the way you and the rest of the "Get Bigger" party make is sound as if these players are a dime a dozen and every team is just looking to get rid of big and talented players. Sometimes you just have to compromise somewhere in the middle to players that are at least willing to be physical even if they have to work harder at it. Especially, as it is in this case, that one of the players Weaver is possibly going to replace is the ultimate case of size for the sake of size in Murray. I won't defend Gionta or DD (neither belong to MB) but a signing like Briere is an example of poor market and having to settle for talent even if the size may be missing as Clowe and Clarkson were the only 2 big names with some talent and neither were worth the price that was set forth.

If you haven't noticed we are on the same side of the need more toughness argument. (Although I don't include fighting into the argument and it sounds like you do) However, I'm not willing to dismiss a more talented player with toughness simply for his size especially when his larger counterpart lacks almost all talent.

You also pointed to Tinordi as a great example of size and talent and I agree but how many players are there similar to Tinordi in the league and would any of them have a reasonable price tag for us to get? (That's if their GM is even willing to move them at all)
Weight is more relevant than height.

I don't believe I was advocating for a team where everyone was over 6' 3". If I said that, I was either sarcastic or drunk.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I think there must be another move coming up to get rid of the extra bodies we have now on defence. Hopefully.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Well I'm pretty sure someone that has a MBA from the crappiest school can still understand that building a cup winning team would generate a crap load more cash over a longer period than sitting on his ass and being content with a team just making the POs and not competing much in them.
Let's not freaking exaggerate here.

What part of my statement equates with exaggeration? Parse it again. You don't learn critical thinking in MBA school (there are a few in my family; I weighed my options in my twenties and went technical instead, culminating in a PhD). You pretty much just put in the time, and you get the degree at the end. Molson got to where he is because of birthright. It's really that simple.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa

I don't believe I was advocating for a team where everyone was over 6' 3". If I said that, I was either sarcastic or drunk.

If I remember correctly it wasn't every player but I think it was you wanted a Top 6 winger, and a Top 4 D-Man (may have been Top 6) both of which at least 6'3".

I agree though that weight is more important but how they use their strength is even more important IMO. That's where it's not necessarily the biggest guy that will fit the category best. Best case scenario is a Lucic but there aren't many of those and the price tags on those are insanely high.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What part of my statement equates with exaggeration? Parse it again. You don't learn critical thinking in MBA school (there are a few in my family; I weighed my options in my twenties and went technical instead, culminating in a PhD). You pretty much just put in the time, and you get the degree at the end. Molson got to where he is because of birthright. It's really that simple.

I wasn't saying you exaggerated, was making a general statement.
I'm sure he got to where he was due to his birthright, I fail to see how this is any relevant to what I was saying.
A regular schmuck can understand the Habs would generate more cash out of winning a cup than just making the POs. If Molson was too freaking dumb to understand this, his family's legacy would have been gone a long time ago and he wouldn't be owning the Habs.

Where he did his MBA and whether or not he'd be there if it weren't for his birthright is completely irrelevant.

Saintpatrick*

Molson wouldn't be in business if he didn't understand that building this team into a cup contender and winner would be more fruitful to him than being complacent at just making the POs. As much as people may dislike him, you aren't running a multi-million company by being a dumbass.

I say ******** to that statement. Molson is in the beer business and the Habs are his cash cow. This team has been making the same mistakes over and over again for a very long time. Aside from the years when Gillet was owner, what's the common denominator here? Either the owners of this team keep hiring idiots for GM's or the owner is getting involved. Instead of rebuilding properly they just do enough to get into the playoffs. A proper rebuild would cost money and the Bell might not be sold out every night. That is why we have a mediocre team.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
I say ******** to that statement. Molson is in the beer business and the Habs are his cash cow. This team has been making the same mistakes over and over again for a very long time. Aside from the years when Gillet was owner, what's the common denominator here? Either the owners of this team keep hiring idiots for GM's or the owner is getting involved. Instead of rebuilding properly they just do enough to get into the playoffs. A proper rebuild would cost money and the Bell might not be sold out every night. That is why we have a mediocre team.

Anyone who thinks a pro-sports owner doesn't want to win a championship is delusional.
I will bet that when the habs win their next cup, Gary Bettman will introduce the captain and one of the first people it gets passed off to is Geoff Molson. One of the first interviews they do will probably be Geoff Molson. Think of any stanley cup, super bowl, NBA final or world series that you've watched and how often do they show the owner during the celebration? or celebrating with their family when a nice play is made, especially in the final few games? They're pretty dominant and central figures.

Winning a championship puts more attention on them, their team and anything really associated with them. How many knew Mike Illitch owned Little Caesars Pizza? I certainly didn't and wouldn't had Detroit not won their cups in my lifetime.

More eye-balls means more exposure, means more $$

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Anyone who thinks a pro-sports owner doesn't want to win a championship is delusional.
I will bet that when the habs win their next cup, Gary Bettman will introduce the captain and one of the first people it gets passed off to is Geoff Molson. One of the first interviews they do will probably be Geoff Molson. Think of any stanley cup, super bowl, NBA final or world series that you've watched and how often do they show the owner during the celebration? or celebrating with their family when a nice play is made, especially in the final few games? They're pretty dominant and central figures.

Winning a championship puts more attention on them, their team and anything really associated with them. How many knew Mike Illitch owned Little Caesars Pizza? I certainly didn't and wouldn't had Detroit not won their cups in my lifetime.

Also Imagine how much merchandise would be eaten up if the habs won a cup. It'd be a huge cash cow!

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa

Jeffrey Loria

Not saying it's common but it does happen. I'm also not saying it applies to Molson as I was only targeting that particular sentence.

DJ Breadman

Jan 18, 2011
Newfoundland

not really, it's the reach that is important, watching the game last night thru the neutral zone people just step around guys like DD he can't reach their stick with his

Saintpatrick*

Not saying he doesn't want a winner I was saying he doesn't want to rebuild properly. This building on the fly while the team is trying to make the playoffs every season at the same time just isn't working. Not to mention the fact that we haven't had a decent GM since Serge Savard makes me wonder about the past owners of this team including Molson and what the hell they're doing. There's been alot of questionable decisions when it comes to player and personnel management and Molson is to be held in part responsible.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

This just doesn't add up. Maybe it's what you want to believe but it just doesn't make sense. Of course Molson wants a freaking cup winner and he isn't telling Bergevin who or who not to get. I don't see how any respectable GM would stay in a position where they can't do their job properly. What would be the damn point?
Furthermore, why would the owners keep firing and replacing people if they're actually quite satisfied with the results of simply making the POs as we have?
Sitting happy of making the POs is just an excuse people have convinced themselves about the owner so that they can avoid the reality that the Habs have hired a bunch of people that have failed at their jobs.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Not saying he doesn't want a winner I was saying he doesn't want to rebuild properly. This building on the fly while the team is trying to make the playoffs every season at the same time just isn't working. Not to mention the fact that we haven't had a decent GM since Serge Savard makes me wonder about the past owners of this team including Molson and what the hell they're doing. There's been alot of questionable decisions when it comes to player and personnel management and Molson is to be held in part responsible.

I'm sure every GM out there would rather build to a winning team by always being competitive and making the POs every year.
But that doesn't fall in line with what Bergevin said at his introductory presser. He insisted that there was a lot of work to do, that it will take time, that this team just finished last, that his priority is to make us a great team for many years to come, that he'll do so by sound drafting and development. He pretty much prepared the fans that this could be a multi-year rebuild where we'd missed the POs.
Even Molson went on record in saying he wants to rebuild the right way.

People need to stop about this Molson none sense. The guy isn't preventing Bergevin from anything.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
not really, it's the reach that is important, watching the game last night thru the neutral zone people just step around guys like DD he can't reach their stick with his

DD's twig is very short :help:

Habs' mgmt seems geared toward making the playoffs. Not winning the Stanley Cup. Some would argue that every team that makes the playoffs has a shot at the Cup...

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
Bergevin is like that guy in the poker game who continually bets the same amount every time. Every. Damn. Time.

When in doubt, acquire depth defender. The depth defender is the key to success.

#becauseitsthecup

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS

So you want to rebuild like Edmonton? Draft, draft, draft, draft, never develop? Become a team of kids who can't carry the team by themselves? Our Core group of guys are young, and drafted by us. We're building through the draft. Except we're surrounding our youth with veterans. We're doing it right, Edmonton isn't.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Bergevin is like that guy in the poker game who continually bets the same amount every time. Every. Damn. Time.

When in doubt, acquire depth defender. The depth defender is the key to success.

#becauseitsthecup

But Bergevin never has the Pocket Aces.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Didn't Loria buy the Marlins and win a Championship like the year after?

And then threw the team to the ground and scammed the city of Miami $500M for a new stadium while purposely keeping the lowest payroll in MLB. That's not to mention that he purposely dismantled the Montreal Expos before being given the Marlins.

The Marlins team that won it all was created before he got there and as soon as they were successful and won it all he took them apart and has not let them recover all the while blaming and threatening the players of the organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad