Confirmed with Link: [MTL/FLA] Mike Weaver to MTL in exchange for 5th round pick in 2015

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Obviously Weaver has good defensive skills.
He may be able to help or young players to improve their defense.
Having him on the ice is like having a D coach on the ice during the games.

I am not sure we do understand the real though process behind this.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
In order to get, you have to give

Who would you be willing to give ?

And remember, nobody is gonna trade a good player for Briere, DD or Gionta

Some will say Markov because the timing is right ... true, but Subban is still young and improving, and Markov is the only guy who can help him get even better

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Not saying he doesn't want a winner I was saying he doesn't want to rebuild properly. This building on the fly while the team is trying to make the playoffs every season at the same time just isn't working. Not to mention the fact that we haven't had a decent GM since Serge Savard makes me wonder about the past owners of this team including Molson and what the hell they're doing. There's been a lot of questionable decisions when it comes to player and personnel management and Molson is to be held in part responsible.
I agree that Savard did well but he was given a pretty good deck:
Lafleur, Naslund, Carbonneau, Walter, Robinson, Gainey, Tremblay, Ludwig, Nilan, McPhee, Napier, Acton, Wickenheiser, Delorme, Paslawski, Green, Wamsley and Sevigny.
There is some skills, size and grit in this line-up.

He also had Kurvers, Lemieux, Momesso, Hunter, Chelios, Kordic and Turcotte in the pipeline.
Between Kurvers and Chelios or Beaulieu and Tinordi, who do you choose?

Finally in 1984, he ended up with two first round (5th: Svoboda, 8th: Corson (He trade Wamsley for this pick)), a second round (29th: Richer) and two third round picks (Roy (he traded Picard for that pick) and Bonar).

I am not saying that Savard was a bad GM, he was great.
He did become a GM only two years after his retirement as a player.

Not all were so good:
  • Kurvers for Martin St-Amour (to make things worst, later Kurvers was traded for Scott Niedermayer).
  • Got rid of Chelios (for Denis Savard - maybe Corey had something to do with this trade...).
  • Traded Leclair, Desjardins and Dionne for Recchi
  • Refused to traded McPhee for Cam Neely.

He was dealt with a different situation.

Let's not compare Savard and Bergevin.

Bergevin was also given a good deck:
  • team was at it's worst;
  • Price, Pacioretty and Subban with Plekanec and Markov;
  • First top-3 pick since 1980.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
In order to get, you have to give

Who would you be willing to give ?

And remember, nobody is gonna trade a good player for Briere, DD or Gionta

Some will say Markov because the timing is right ... true, but Subban is still young and improving, and Markov is the only guy who can help him get even better

We need scoring. We need wingers. Penner was grabbed for a 4th.
Piri was grabbed for a 3rd and a 5th. Erat was traded for Klesla-Brown-4th rd pick.
Heck, even if you do want a Dman, might as well get a project in Rundblad where the upside could be high and he's only 23. At least there's upside there, with Weaver he's pretty much gone next year, unless Bergevin decides to go with his ego and re-sign him just to say he didn't waste a 5th pick like he did for Drew.

I'm sure Bergevin could have made a push for any of these guys if he really wanted to.

Pricef*

Listening to the Fan 590 AM this morning and Kevin Dineen was asked what trade so far stuck out for him and he made a point of mentioning the Weaver acquisition by Bergevin saying it was a very shrewd move by Bergy and that the Habs will benefit greatly from it for the rest of the year. The coach of our gold medal winning hockey likes it but I guess our board fells like Bergy is an idiot. I wonder who's opinion I'll value more????:help:

Lionel Mandrake

We need scoring. We need wingers. Penner was grabbed for a 4th.
Piri was grabbed for a 3rd and a 5th. Erat was traded for Klesla-Brown-4th rd pick.
Heck, even if you do want a Dman, might as well get a project in Rundblad where the upside could be high and he's only 23. At least there's upside there, with Weaver he's pretty much gone next year, unless Bergevin decides to go with his ego and re-sign him just to say he didn't waste a 5th pick like he did for Drew.

I'm sure Bergevin could have made a push for any of these guys if he really wanted to.

None of those guys address a need. They're all depth, which we already have too much of. What we need is top-6 scoring, Moulson/Vanek style, but those guys come at a premium, and I'd be joining the #fireMB bandwagon if he ever decided to trade an A prospect or high pick for such a player, considering we're still very far away from making any kind of noise in the playoffs.

As for Weaver, just the fact we're getting a defensive RD is positive for me. Let the young ones develop some more in Hamilton, Weaver's actually decent and probably an upgrade on both Tinordi and Beaulieu at this point of their young careers.

habitue*

I agree that Savard did well but he was given a pretty good deck:
Lafleur, Naslund, Carbonneau, Walter, Robinson, Gainey, Tremblay, Ludwig, Nilan, McPhee, Napier, Acton, Wickenheiser, Delorme, Paslawski, Green, Wamsley and Sevigny.
There is some skills, size and grit in this line-up.

He also had Kurvers, Lemieux, Momesso, Hunter, Chelios, Kordic and Turcotte in the pipeline.
Between Kurvers and Chelios or Beaulieu and Tinordi, who do you choose?

Finally in 1984, he ended up with two first round (5th: Svoboda, 8th: Corson (He trade Wamsley for this pick)), a second round (29th: Richer) and two third round picks (Roy (he traded Picard for that pick) and Bonar).

I am not saying that Savard was a bad GM, he was great.
He did become a GM only two years after his retirement as a player.

Not all were so good:
  • Kurvers for Martin St-Amour (to make things worst, later Kurvers was traded for Scott Niedermayer).
  • Got rid of Chelios (for Denis Savard - maybe Corey had something to do with this trade...).
  • Traded Leclair, Desjardins and Dionne for Recchi
  • Refused to traded McPhee for Cam Neely.

He was dealt with a different situation.

Let's not compare Savard and Bergevin.

Bergevin was also given a good deck:
  • team was at it's worst;
  • Price, Pacioretty and Subban with Plekanec and Markov;
  • First top-3 pick since 1980.

Savard had almost always been very, very bad with his first round picks. The list is so long..... He should kiss Patrick Roy's feet everyday for the two Stanley Cups + a Final vs Calgary.

habitue*

Listening to the Fan 590 AM this morning and Kevin Dineen was asked what trade so far stuck out for him and he made a point of mentioning the Weaver acquisition by Bergevin saying it was a very shrewd move by Bergy and that the Habs will benefit greatly from it for the rest of the year. The coach of our gold medal winning hockey likes it but I guess our board fells like Bergy is an idiot. I wonder who's opinion I'll value more????:help:

That's the best source of info we had so far on this board !

:handclap:

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
That's the best source of info we had so far on this board !

:handclap:

And possibly the most biased. We're talking about the coach (Dineen) who rode Weaver fairly heavily to one of the worst defensive/PK records over the past couple of years. :laugh:

Or did anyone expect a quote from Dineen more to the effect of "Bergevin might be forcing Therrien to make the same mistake I did"? :sarcasm:

habitue*

And possibly the most biased. We're talking about the coach (Dineen) who rode Weaver fairly heavily to one of the worst defensive/PK records over the past couple of years. :laugh:

Or did anyone expect a quote from Dineen more to the effect of "Bergevin might be forcing Therrien to make the same mistake I did"? :sarcasm:

Just the opposite...

Dineen is not a Florida Panthers employee anymore. He was FIRED...

He has no reason sugar coating this deal or praising Weaver.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Just the opposite...

Dineen is not a Florida Panthers employee anymore. He was FIRED...

He has no reason sugar coating this deal or praising Weaver.

Besides their previous working relationship over 2+ seasons, and the fact that they might even consider each other "friends", right? Pretty "amazing" that the trade he chose to comment on involved the player he knew the best. ;)

habitue*

Besides their previous working relationship over 2+ seasons, and the fact that they might even consider each other "friends", right? Pretty "amazing" that the trade he chose to comment on involved the player he knew the best. ;)

Why would he lie ? What are his interests ?

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Why would he lie ? What are his interests ?

Which other trade would you expect him to pick, off the top of his head? There haven't even been that many deals, really, and all he did was talk about the guy he knows getting solid minutes on the garbage team they both worked for this year, and that I'd expect Dineen's opinion of Weaver, good or bad, to be biased by their previous relationship.

But please stop putting words in people's mouths. I'm not calling it a "lie", I'm saying it's conspicuous to comment on the trading of a depth player you used to coach instead of offering comments on the "larger" trades that might attract more lightning.

Also, I think Dineen's assessment of this as a "shrewd" move has to be taken in a vacuum (hard to look too fondly on repeatedly picking up the odd men out other teams' depth charts, imo - borderline "grass is greener on the other side" shopping), and completely out of the context of how this team is actually built, what its weaknesses are, and what its goals are/"should be" in terms of gearing up toward sustained playoff success before Price retires. We've paid a draft pick and Diaz to get Weise and Weaver instead. Ready to sit back and simulate, Bergy, job's done. :laugh:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Dineen is an idiot and I could have coached the women's team to silver just by sowing up with a coffee and standing on the bench.

Pricef*

This board loses more and more credibility by the minute. The agendas here are obvious and ridiculous. :shakehead

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
This board loses more and more credibility by the minute. The agendas here are obvious and ridiculous. :shakehead

Agendas are for teenaged posters who are barely removed from a life of student council popularity contests, and cries for recognition as an individual, etc. When you're talking about older and more experienced posters, defaulting to complaints about agendas just screams "I'm too lazy to put in the time and effort to form and support opinions in the same way and to the same degree, so I call foul". Which seems weird, because apparently enough effort went into keeping track of enough posters' patterned behaviour to be confident in publicly claiming the existence of an agenda.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Weaver is actually a pretty decent add for D. If he wasn't 35 would have consireded a possible future replacement for Gorges and his bad contract.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Weaver was a great addition by Bergevin......those who don't think so simply don't have a clue about the game of hockey and likely knew nothing about him prior to the deal.

We now have a ton of depth to make a playoff run in a wide open Eastern Conference. I find it increasingly difficult to post on this board when there are only a handfull of knowledgeable poster's who are drowning in a sea of ignorance. I haven't loved all of Bergevin's moves but he really hit one out of the park Wednesday. Hopefully his biggest mistake (Therrien) won't screw this up with his bantam level coaching.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Weaver was a great addition by Bergevin......those who don't think so simply don't have a clue about the game of hockey and likely knew nothing about him prior to the deal.

We now have a ton of depth to make a playoff run in a wide open Eastern Conference. I find it increasingly difficult to post on this board when there are only a handfull of knowledgeable poster's who are drowning in a sea of ignorance. I haven't loved all of Bergevin's moves but he really hit one out of the park Wednesday. Hopefully his biggest mistake (Therrien) won't screw this up with his bantam level coaching.

Jesus, I sure am glad I like that move then :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->