Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Sean Monahan signs extension with the Canadiens (1 year, $1.985M)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yeah. I've never heard anything about character issues. Teams are afraid to touch him, because he's made of glass. He definitely wasn't worth his cap hit at $6 million. However, the fact that Montreal re-signed him, despite his injury, and for well above league minimum says a lot. If he was an issue in the locker room, and after yet another injury, why would Montreal be going anywhere near him? His obviously well like enough to overcome his injury and have Montreal give him another chance.

There's no way he was signing for only league min and 2M is definitely an underpay for the player he was when healthy (...which is admittedly a pretty significant caveat).

Reactions: Frank Drebin

OrangePMD

Feb 2, 2021
Finland
What is with that bonus ?

Hughes: "We had agreed terms with Monahan. The deal is one year and 2 million AAV, with a performance bonus of one point ..."

Daly: "You do know that bonus will just get kicked to your 24-25, since you're over the cap and using LTIR, right ?"

Hughes: "... five kilo dollars."

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
People are talking about a guaranteed 1st at the deadline if he's healthy and I'm not so sure. The buyer has to believe that he won't get injured with them. You don't rent players for one series, you want guys that will go the distance, and do you see Monahan holding up for four playoff rounds?

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
People are talking about a guaranteed 1st at the deadline if he's healthy and I'm not so sure. The buyer has to believe that he won't get injured with them. You don't rent players for one series, you want guys that will go the distance, and do you see Monahan holding up for four playoff rounds?
He's a good enough player that a 1st is conceivable if everything works out (say he hasn't missed a game and is having a 50-60 point season), but I haven't seen anyone seriously claim it's guaranteed...

Reactions: jfhabs

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Probably not. But if he's healthy and playing at a 20 goal 50 point clip he can likely get a second on a team looking for depth.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
He's a good enough player that a 1st is conceivable if everything works out (say he hasn't missed a game and is having a 50-60 point season), but I haven't seen anyone seriously claim it's guaranteed...
Naw. Even then 50-60 point players only bring back 1st rounders if they are physical players, perceived to have playoff intangibles. Even in his prime Monahan wasn't that. You're going to need 30+ goals out of Monahan for that first rounder. Who knows maybe this was the surgery that finally fixed him?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Really can't complain. If he stays healthy, that's a steal of a contract. Hell, we could retain 50% and make it that much more enticing. All a matter of whether he can play a full season.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Naw. Even then 50-60 point players only bring back 1st rounders if they are physical players, perceived to have playoff intangibles. Even in his prime Monahan wasn't that. You're going to need 30+ goals out of Monahan for that first rounder. Who knows maybe this was the surgery that finally fixed him?
Indeed only top players like Paul Gaustad or Jeannot bring back 1st +

• Haha
Reactions: BigDaddyLurch

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
lol. No one would give that to him after one good year and a career of injuries. You're just taking 23 games of decent play and assuming he'd stay at that level.

Easy to say that today. Hard for some to consider the alternative situation of if he played 60 games and produced. My advise is never say "no one" or "never". You might not do it but someone might.

Is 28 old now?

Apparently he is both injury prone is 35 years old. The spins man, the spins people go through. Monahan is not allowed to recover on the Habs.

Who the hell knows how the next 5 years goes for him. We are all guessing.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Easy to say that today. Hard for some to consider the alternative situation of if he played 60 games and produced. My advise is never say "no one" or "never". You might not do it but someone might.

Apparently he is both injury prone is 35 years old. The spins man, the spins people go through. Monahan is not allowed to recover on the Habs.

Who the hell knows how the next 5 years goes for him. We are all guessing.
3 yrs of history, not 1-2 times

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Where have these rumours of character issues come from ? I'm not a Flames fan, but I've never heard of them before and didn't see anyone warning hab fans about them when he was dealt here.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Have to admit that i am not a fan of this signing. His contract injury history is too disruptive. Dach needs to take over the2C role. Perhaps Monajan as a winger.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
The market will set the price, if he's stayed mostly healthy through the year and plays like he did with Montreal last year he'll likely be one of if not the best centers available at TDL

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Where have these rumours of character issues come from ? I'm not a Flames fan, but I've never heard of them before and didn't see anyone warning hab fans about them when he was dealt here.

I don't think there were ever open character issues for Monahan. Some posters may have extrapolated the concept of Monahan being close to Gaudreau and Bouma who were guys who may have enjoyed partying.

But locker room leader and giving his all... anyone who says negative things about him were and still are wrong. Monahan made some bad decisions and now at the age of 28, rather than the body of a typical 28 year end, he's got a body with the durability of a 38 year old.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad