Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Sean Monahan signs extension with the Canadiens (1 year, $1.985M)

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I really enjoyed my time in Montreal last year and it being cut short, being injured, I think I owe it to myself to give it another shot in Montreal. I owe it to the fans and I owe it to the organization. They gave me a great opportunity from day one when I came in here. The coaches were unbelievable. I have a great relationship with them and I met some great teammates that are going to be lifelong friends. I was very interested in going back there and I'm very happy to get something done to be able to come back and play for the Canadiens.

Monahan on the nucleus of the Canadiens core impacting his decision:

The young group was different for me. I was in Calgary for a long time with a more veteran team, I guess. So, coming in, having the young guys and that energy, and guys trying to get better every day and pushing each other was real fun to be a part of. I really think I can help the team get better every day. So, it's an exciting time to be a Montreal Canadien [...] Honestly, we had a lot of injuries last year, so you never know where the team actually would have gone. Coming in healthy with everybody in the lineup, it's going to be exciting. They've done a great job building the team and the style of play we're going to be playing.

Monahan on Habs fans and playing in Montreal:

Montreal, for me, is a great place to live. It's obviously a class act organization. So, I'm very proud to play for them and the fans are like no other. They're passionate and I would say it's arguably the best rink to play in in the League. So, playing there is a ton of fun. [There are] great restaurants and lots to do. It's a great place to play hockey.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
decent price, MTL just hope he's healthy enough to trade at the deadline this year, and then its a great signing.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I really enjoyed my time in Montreal last year and it being cut short, being injured, I think I owe it to myself to give it another shot in Montreal. I owe it to the fans and I owe it to the organization. They gave me a great opportunity from day one when I came in here. The coaches were unbelievable. I have a great relationship with them and I met some great teammates that are going to be lifelong friends. I was very interested in going back there and I'm very happy to get something done to be able to come back and play for the Canadiens.

Monahan on the nucleus of the Canadiens core impacting his decision:

The young group was different for me. I was in Calgary for a long time with a more veteran team, I guess. So, coming in, having the young guys and that energy, and guys trying to get better every day and pushing each other was real fun to be a part of. I really think I can help the team get better every day. So, it's an exciting time to be a Montreal Canadien [...] Honestly, we had a lot of injuries last year, so you never know where the team actually would have gone. Coming in healthy with everybody in the lineup, it's going to be exciting. They've done a great job building the team and the style of play we're going to be playing.

Monahan on Habs fans and playing in Montreal:

Montreal, for me, is a great place to live. It's obviously a class act organization. So, I'm very proud to play for them and the fans are like no other. They're passionate and I would say it's arguably the best rink to play in in the League. So, playing there is a ton of fun. [There are] great restaurants and lots to do. It's a great place to play hockey.
He's always come across as a great guy to have in the locker room and the community. Just a really good person.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
He's a good enough player that a 1st is conceivable if everything works out (say he hasn't missed a game and is having a 50-60 point season), but I haven't seen anyone seriously claim it's guaranteed...

That and it is also dependent on who else is for sale at the next deadline. The Habs got lucky with Chiarot because of the slim pickings. If there are slim pickings for experienced centers next deadline and Monahan is healthy and productive who knows what the habs could get in a desperate market.

Reactions: pth2

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Do we get Calgary pick in '25? Because this trade was so confusing. Imagine their '24 pick be protected
Direct from capfriendly:

Sean Monahan · $6,375,000
2025 1st round pick (CGY) [Conditional]*

*Conditions: 1. If CGY’s 2024 1st round pick is between 20 and 32, MTL can take that pick instead. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY receives FLA’s 2025 1st round pick:
1. If both CGY AND FLA’s picks are NOT top 10, MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY does NOT receive FLA’s 1st round pick:

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is NOT top 10
1. MTL will receive the CGY pick, and
2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.
Result: TBD

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is top 10:
1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD

Reactions: BLONG7 and Strat

Bond

May 10, 2012
Do we get Calgary pick in '25? Because this trade was so confusing. Imagine their '24 pick be protected
The Panthers need to finish bottom ten this year or next for Montreal to get a chance at high pick from Calgary. They can only take the 24 pick if it is 20-32 which I'll be very happy if that turns out to happen haha.
It is the Flames though, so Montreal will probably end up with the 2nd overall in 2025

• Haha
Reactions: HabsQC

Bond

May 10, 2012
That and it is also dependent on who else is for sale at the next deadline. The Habs got lucky with Chiarot because of the slim pickings. If there are slim pickings for experienced centers next deadline and Monahan is healthy and productive who knows what the habs could get in a desperate market.
It also really depends if he makes it to the deadline uninjured. If he is out for a stretch then I think his value is more limited.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
LFhZoz8.png

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Panthers need to finish bottom ten this year or next for Montreal to get a chance at high pick from Calgary. They can only take the 24 pick if it is 20-32 which I'll be very happy if that turns out to happen haha.
It is the Flames though, so Montreal will probably end up with the 2nd overall in 2025
I'm hoping it's 2nd overall. Be cool.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Monahan is a leader and such a great presence on this team, honestly if he stays healthy I'd extend him. Trade Dvorak instead
It all depends on his expectations as well as trade offers. Also, he's a far better player than Dvorak, on an expiring contract and at less than half the cap hit, he's going to generate far better offers. I expect Dvorak we'd get a contract flip and maybe something like a 3d round pick. Monahan could potentially fetch an attractive return with an expiring contract we can let go (think Lagesson from Edmonton for Kulak)

It also depends on Monahan's contract expectations.... if he's looking for 6x6M, we take what we can for him.

I'm hoping it's 2nd overall. Be cool.
Let's wait and see, we all got our hopes up for the Florida pick.

My expectation is the Habs get a pick in the 16-25 range, which is why I suggested that Montreal trade that 2025 pick for the Flames' 2023 pick, but Flames fans were unimpressed.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Let's wait and see, we all got our hopes up for the Florida pick.

My expectation is the Habs get a pick in the 16-25 range, which is why I suggested that Montreal trade that 2025 pick for the Flames' 2023 pick, but Flames fans were unimpressed.
Habs need to add some high end skill at some point.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Habs need to add some high end skill at some point.
For sure... but the way contracts work now in the NHL, when you sign a 28 year old to a 6 or 7 year deal, you have to expect the 2nd half of that deal to be problematic (ie, paying more than the player is delivering), so those contracts have to be time just right. IMO the Habs are at least a couple of seasons away from being in position to add players on big contracts, the constraint being so Gallagher and Price are off the books, or that the way forward until their contracts are off the books is short enough to project with enough certainty to add players.

danisonfire

2313 Saint Catherine
Jul 2, 2009
He's always come across as a great guy to have in the locker room and the community. Just a really good person.
This is why teams will keep taking chances on him even with all the injuries. If he was bad in the locker-room his career would be done. A great example of how being a good person can pay off.

Reactions: the and loadie

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
For sure... but the way contracts work now in the NHL, when you sign a 28 year old to a 6 or 7 year deal, you have to expect the 2nd half of that deal to be problematic (ie, paying more than the player is delivering), so those contracts have to be time just right. IMO the Habs are at least a couple of seasons away from being in position to add players on big contracts, the constraint being so Gallagher and Price are off the books, or that the way forward until their contracts are off the books is short enough to project with enough certainty to add players.
I didn't want to wait that long to be contender

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I didn't want to wait that long to be contender
Adding a couple of big contracts now makes us a playoff team faster but takes us farther from real contention.

Imagine if we'd signed Schiefele and Helleybuck, we'd have at best a possible very short window when Reinbacher and Slaf would have developped but before those veterans started declining. Sign equivalent veterans in 2025 and the window is much longer.

Reactions: viceroy

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Adding a couple of big contracts now makes us a playoff team faster but takes us farther from real contention.

Imagine if we'd signed Schiefele and Helleybuck, we'd have at best a possible very short window when Reinbacher and Slaf would have developped but before those veterans started declining. Sign equivalent veterans in 2025 and the window is much longer.
When you my age, might not see 3 more years

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Direct from capfriendly:

Sean Monahan · $6,375,000
2025 1st round pick (CGY) [Conditional]*

*Conditions: 1. If CGY’s 2024 1st round pick is between 20 and 32, MTL can take that pick instead. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY receives FLA’s 2025 1st round pick:
1. If both CGY AND FLA’s picks are NOT top 10, MTL will receive the better of the CGY and FLA 2025 1st round picks. Result: TBD

2. If CGY’s pick is top 10, AND FLA’s pick is NOT top 10, MTL receives FLA’s pick. Result: TBD

Scenario: In the event CGY does NOT receive FLA’s 1st round pick:

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is NOT top 10
1. MTL will receive the CGY pick, and
2. If FLA’s pick is not top 10, is a better pick than CGY’s, and was transferred to another team due to prior conditions, MTL will also receive CGY’s 2025 4th round pick.
Result: TBD

Sub-scenario: CGY’s pick is top 10:
1. If CGY’s pick is 1st overall, MTL will receive CGY’s 2025 3rd, and the better of CGY and FLA’s 2026 1st round pick. Result: TBD
2. If CGY’s pick is 2nd to 10th, MTL receives CGY’s 2025 1st round pick. Result: TBD
Quantum computing is easier to understand than this trade.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
The rebuild is for the team not for 1 aging fan.
Rebuild. Not 3 consecutive duck-taped ones. Sucking on purpose should be over now, with every rookie coming in having to earn a spot on a team trying to win every game. Management has to keep making room for them, but this guy is only 28 and fitting in like a glove.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Monahan is a leader and such a great presence on this team, honestly if he stays healthy I'd extend him. Trade Dvorak instead
Monahan is great, literally his only flaw has been staying healthy. I've said trading him was a mistake from day 1. But then again I'm probably the biggest Monahan mark on here for Flames fans. IMO he should still be in Calgary and be their captain.

Reactions: HabsQC and the

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad