Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] F Kirby Dach signs extension with the Canadiens (4 years, $3.3625M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I dont think it’s a bad deal. It’s either a massive bargain or at the very least , a very very slight overpay.
He was drafted where he was for a reason . He has skill and the ability to be a top 6 forward. At this,price it’s a steal. If reaches his “floor “(which is very likely) it’s a fair deal.

I see this as a win win for the Habs and for Dach. He doesnt have to worry about his contract status or stress about what happens next , he can just go out and play and try to earn a raise when this contract is up.
Good news is that his floor is a somewhat useful player. Bad news is that his ceiling isn’t much higher than his floor.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It's just not a good contract, considering it's based on what he could be and not what he's done. His fractured wrist seems to have permanently affected his play, he also plays like he's scared of falling into the boards or taking a blindside hit. I haven't seen or read anything that points to rehabilitation and a change in the style of his play, so I expect another poor season from him.

I think there is a reason that a rebuilding CHicago team decided to get rid of a 21 year old top 5 pick.

But who knows! Could work out well for the Habs.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
...full of shyte...just like the rest of us...
Agree to an extent. We all claim knowledge of the team we root for that we likely don’t have.

I like to read the threads with proposals about other teams but 9 out of 10 I never comment.

9 out of 10 he will comment. Alleging some knowledge of all teams.
So he’s either full of it, fooling himself or spends 24 - 7 studying every prospect worldwide.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Perhaps this was the cost of getting that 4th year. Also, Dach plays centre
Only in spirit.

Dach is horrible on face offs and is a lumbering skater 75% of the time.

I’m a Hawks fan who calls it like I see it, Dach has moments where your like “good god that’s ridiculous “ and those are too few and far between for the 3OA.

What Dach is right now, is a warm body who’s good enough in his own end not to hurt his team. That’s it. He’s an anchor in the offensive zone and plays die on his stick. He’s get bullied off the puck too much for a kid his size.

Hopefully he turns it around, but I really don’t think he will. He has an entitled attitude and with a new GM who is putting skating and speed at a premium that says all you need to know about how much he was thought of for going into the season a Hawks team that’s completely tanking the year.

I said he was the next Adam Creighton and the bad news is he isn’t even that good.

Your looking at a third liner, Anisimov type.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Agree to an extent. We all claim knowledge of the team we root for that we likely don’t have.

I like to read the threads with proposals about other teams but 9 out of 10 I never comment.

9 out of 10 he will comment. Alleging some knowledge of all teams.
So he’s either full of it, fooling himself or spends 24 - 7 studying every prospect worldwide.

...to be fair, some of us do watch waaaayyy more hockey than is healthy for any grown ass adult, even us retired ones with not much better to do with our time...there are 5 or 6 teams that I'm almost as familiar with as my Habs, especially out West as I'm not flicking back and forth between them & the Canadiens, as the Habs game is already over...I can see a deep knowledge in more than just your own team happening with a few here that literally live hockey (like I do)...that said, we all pretend to be experts at one point or another despite limited knowledge on what the f**k we're talking about...that's one of the joys of Sports; we can be full of shyte and still taken seriously as not all fans see the same things...

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
I think there is a reason that a rebuilding CHicago team decided to get rid of a 21 year old top 5 pick.

But who knows! Could work out well for the Habs.
Dach could wake up and turn it around but there are issues.
He skates well but really not as good as you’d expect of someone with his build.
For a bigger guy he could take liberties along the boards and in corners in JR. He gets out worked or simply knocked down regularly at the NHL level.
He is incredibly soft both with and without the puck.
He is incredibly soft at faceoffs.
He has a decent shot but needs A LOT of time and space to get it off

It’s a long list but everything on it could be turned around with experience, hard work and maturity.
There was some beating around the bush in Chicago that he wasn’t putting in the time but expected a prime role.
That said, Chicago’s coaching was in shambles. This could end up being a great deal for the Habs or a waste of 1.5 mill for 4 years.
It’s up to Dach to decide which.

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
...to be fair, some of us do watch waaaayyy more hockey than is healthy for any grown ass adult, even us retired ones with not much better to do with our time...there are 5 or 6 teams that I'm almost as familiar with as my Habs, especially out West as I'm not flicking back and forth between them & the Canadiens, as the Habs game is already over...I can see a deep knowledge in more than just your own team happening with a few here that literally live hockey (like I do)...that said, we all pretend to be experts at one point or another despite limited knowledge on what the f**k we're talking about...that's one of the joys of Sports; we can be full of shyte and still taken seriously as not all fans see the same things...
DVR buddy, use the DVR.
The 1st time I got it (many years ago) my wife thought $135 for the center ice package was expensive.
She now knows it’s a bargain.
You can watch a game, skip only the commercials in about 1:50. That includes the talking heads between periods.
I work 3 days 1 week, 4 days the next. On work days I usually take in 2 games. On off days it’s 4 or 5. She’s working I’m watching hockey.
I see every Hawk game and nearly every Lightning and Panther game. (Also attend several of both since I live between them).
Most Leaf games (since I hate them) and most Islander games (best friend is an Isles fan)
I will mix in other teams since I can DVR 2 games at a time. So I see more west coast games than a normal Florida human would!

I still don’t feel the need to claim Knowledge on every teams needs and prospect pool.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
DVR buddy, use the DVR.
The 1st time I got it (many years ago) my wife thought $135 for the center ice package was expensive.
She now knows it’s a bargain.
You can watch a game, skip only the commercials in about 1:50. That includes the talking heads between periods.
I work 3 days 1 week, 4 days the next. On work days I usually take in 2 games. On off days it’s 4 or 5. She’s working I’m watching hockey.
I see every Hawk game and nearly every Lightning and Panther game. (Also attend several of both since I live between them).
Most Leaf games (since I hate them) and most Islander games (best friend is an Isles fan)
I will mix in other teams since I can DVR 2 games at a time. So I see more west coast games than a normal Florida human would!

I still don’t feel the need to claim Knowledge on every teams needs and prospect pool.

...lol...I use my DVR daily for games I know I'll miss that I want to see/Habs play at the same time...my "flick" channel game during Prime Time is usually a Pens game or a Capitals game or a Carolina game, one I want to see skill-wise but don't really care one way or another for the team...and, while I should be ashamed to admit this, I have two TVs in the Man Cave (new 65 inch Samsung & old 46 inch one...before my gaming computer died on me 2 1/2 years ago I used the 46 inch tv as my monitor)...so I always have hockey on during the season, pretty much (as I said, I've always loved & lived Hockey and now that I'm retired, I have little else to do...live in the "country" and am disabled, so my 28 year old son, who moved back home a few years ago, does most of the work around the house/property)...anyways, I get why it's annoying to most when a "rival" fan seems to pop up and act like an expert on their team; I'm guilty of it myself...

Reactions: Space umpire

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
...lol...I use my DVR daily for games I know I'll miss that I want to see/Habs play at the same time...my "flick" channel game during Prime Time is usually a Pens game or a Capitals game or a Carolina game, one I want to see skill-wise but don't really care one way or another for the team...and, while I should be ashamed to admit this, I have two TVs in the Man Cave (new 65 inch Samsung & old 46 inch one...before my gaming computer died on me 2 1/2 years ago I used the 46 inch tv as my monitor)...so I always have hockey on during the season, pretty much (as I said, I've always loved & lived Hockey and now that I'm retired, I have little else to do...live in the "country" and am disabled, so my 28 year old son, who moved back home a few years ago, does most of the work around the house/property)...anyways, I get why it's annoying to most when a "rival" fan seems to pop up and act like an expert on their team; I'm guilty of it myself...
2 tvs in the man cave. I’m jealous! I’m showing your post to my wife, Christmas is just around the corner.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
By "They could probably play" do you mean they're able to lace their skates and physically play the game of hockey, or do you think that they're still able to perform to the best of their abilities (given where they were at in their careers)?

If the latter, are you suggesting that these guys that have trained and prepared their whole lives just to play the game of hockey at the highest level, now just want to give it up and collect their cheques? That would be an interesting take, since most retired pro athletes have a difficult time transitioning out of the pro sports life as it's all they've known their whole lives.
Many NHL players play at something less than 100% of the prime physical capabilities. Yes. They could play. But their organizations would much rather they not because their play level doesn’t come close to marching their AAV.

The league challenged the Habs on Weber and then deemed it was legit.
Of course they will. They’ll defend all their teams on the over use of LTIR. It’s a hidden salary cap bump. Allows wealthy teams to go over the cap and more players to get paid. It’s great for player vs league relations. But doesn’t mean all the injuries are legit. Even if the league unsurprisingly deems them so. The league has no incentive not too. Esp during this recapture era of escrow that already infuriates the players.

Fainting Couch

Jun 21, 2019
He’s an anchor in the offensive zone and plays die on his stick.
Wouldn't being "anchor in the offensive zone" mean he is always in the offensive zone?
Another cliché backfire.
On the bright side you did not try to work "fodder" into your post so congrats on that.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Wouldn't being "anchor in the offensive zone" mean he is always in the offensive zone?
Another cliché backfire.
On the bright side you did not try to work "fodder" into your post so congrats on that.
Sure.

Dead weight is still dead weight, tho.

And considering his game pretty much played itself off a line with Kane and DeBrincat, I mean, let’s just think about that for a second;

He was such an offensive anchor he played himself off a dream spot between one of the best players of his generation and a 40 goal scoring small player who was MORE physical and MORE invested in board battles that yes, just some guy being compared to an anchor, as in, Dachs value in the offensive zone, an anchor, was the same as watching him drop to the ice the second somebody breathed on him is a fair comparison.

Thank you for making me bring some clarity to the comparison.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
it requires having a bit of common sense

23 pts in 64 games in his rookie year, 10 in 18 games (injury season) and 26 pts in 70 games on a weak team/with limited minutes when he's coming back from a wrist injury (even factoring all this in he was on pace for 30+ pts in a year).. so he's already worth his contract as is, you're getting his upside for free essentially

ultimately this trade will always be judged on who becomes the better NHL'er (between Romanov and Dach)
And an imbecile for a coach. Look at the difference in Caufield after escaping a useless coach. And Caufield wasn't trying to play through an injury.

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
Cause some people are saying they don't like the move and that it's too risky.
I agree, like any signing, there's risk involved. I don't see what we would possibly need this cap space for in the short term that would make us even consider a buyout option.

Chose

Loyal Habs fan
Aug 4, 2022
Montréal
People talk about how bad Gallagher's contract is, because it is all about paying for what he has done, and not what he can bring in the years of the said contract.

Now people are whining because the new management thinks outside the box, and pays the player what he is projected to bring in the next 4 years...

I really don't understand.
I think this is a stellar shift. The player obviously likes it, and the management thinks (and validated is health before to secure their thoughts) that he can take off during those 4 years.

Dach has not proven yet he is worth that much. And probably isn't right now, but the odds that he develops are good enough to think he will outperform the contract in years 3 and 4, balancing it out...

Love it !

Last edited:

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
From what I've seen, the desire and hunger isn't there. Signing for 4 years isn't going to help that. Maybe it changes but he plays too small for his size and coasts too much.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
From what I've seen, the desire and hunger isn't there. Signing for 4 years isn't going to help that. Maybe it changes but he plays too small for his size and coasts too much.

Aaron Ward proposed the idea that 4 years may be what Dach needs. His young career has been uncertain and a constant worry of will he piece it together in 2 years could be too much for such a young player and that 4 years may allow him to find who he is as a player more comfortably.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Aaron Ward proposed the idea that 4 years may be what Dach needs. His young career has been uncertain and a constant worry of will he piece it together in 2 years could be too much for such a young player and that 4 years may allow him to find who he is as a player more comfortably.

...very well said...I believe similarly that a 4 year deal gives him a better Piece of Mind to relax the "outside noise" and focus on progressing his game and showing the Black Hawks Organization that they made a HUGE mistake in letting him go for such a middling, imo, return...:thumbu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad