Confirmed with Link: [MTL/EDM] Desharnais (20% retained) traded to Edmonton for Brandon Davidson

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well if MB wants CHaracter and intangibles this guy has them.

Just like all the new guys, Davidson has to be given some ice time so that CJ knows what the player brings in our line-up.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
This was written by an Oilers fan on another website that shall remain nameless:

My take on Davidson:

Brandon Davidson is my favourite player, and I'll tell you why.

Didn't get drafted into the WHL, and had to quit playing hockey because his parents couldn't afford the fees. Grinded it out in the **** leagues, and didn't even get into the WHL until he was draft eligible. Thought he was good enough to play in the WHL, and showed up at the Regina Pats camp.

Made the team as a walk on. Quickly led them in plus-minus with a +15 on a garbage -32 team. Worked like hell on the Pats, and was eventually named Captain.

The Oilers drafted him with a spare pick in the bowels of the 2010 entry draft. After the WHL, he was sent down to the ECHL, where talent goes to die a miserable, bus haunting death. He excelled in the ECHL, impressing the coaches with his work effort and talent. Then...he got cancer. Testicular cancer. Lost a nut, and lost a lot of playing time and a huge amount of conditioning and muscle.

Most people would pack it up and go back to western Canada, maybe make some money on the rigs or help out on the farm. Not Davidson.

He beat cancer, and worked his way back to the AHL Barons. Rode the (slightly less ******) bus, and impressed the coaches enough that he got his cup of coffee in the NHL. Long road from being too broke to play hockey and going undrafted in the 'Dub.

Then the Oilers drafted Connor McDavid, and Katz cleared out the management - or at least re-shuffled some of the corpses. With his backers no longer (lordy lord Oilers fans hope) in power, many though Davidson's time in the NHL was done. Nope.

He fought his way onto the squad, albeit a NHL-worst defence. He was waiver bait at the start of the year, but by the time days were short and the mercury was low he was playing 25 minutes a night, and excelling. The Oilers are not defensively sound, but many nights Brandon "Barely Drafted" Davidson was the best defenseman on the ice; and not just for the Oilers, for either team.

He just signed a two-year X $1.45M deal, and my guess is that it's a value deal at the end of it. Love this player.
This has got wow written all over it...talk about character, and determination. Let's hope a guy like this, gets a real shot with the Habs, this year, or next...amazing story.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I said it on the main board but the Habs had no use for DD and Davidson wasn't playing for the Oilers, Habs needed help at LHD and the Oilers needed help at C.. both teams get the help they needed in this trade.

We needed more size, I was sick of DD but hope he does well playing with some bigger wingers who will help him be more successful there. With Emelin struggling lately this gives CJ another option at LHD, it will also push Beaulieu knowing guys like Davidson/Nesterov are waiting for chances to play if he doesn't play well.

These trades lately are great because we have 15 forwards and 8 D battling for 12 forward spots and 6 D spots, no one can take their spot for granted because we now have people who can step in if they don't do their job. It is a nice change from before when we had guys like Hanley/Redmond/Barbeiro/DD/Ghetto as the next guys in line.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I said it on the main board but the Habs had no use for DD and Davidson wasn't playing for the Oilers, Habs needed help at LHD and the Oilers needed help at C.. both teams get the help they needed in this trade.

We needed more size, I was sick of DD but hope he does well playing with some bigger wingers who will help him be more successful there. With Emelin struggling lately this gives CJ another option at LHD, it will also push Beaulieu knowing guys like Davidson/Nesterov are waiting for chances to play if he doesn't play well.

These trades lately are great because we have 15 forwards and 8 D battling for 12 forward spots and 6 D spots, no one can take their spot for granted because we now have people who can step in if they don't do their job. It is a nice change from before when we had guys like Hanley/Redmond/Barbeiro/DD/Ghetto as the next guys in line.
Such a great point, the internal competition is way better than it has been in a few years. Should give us a boost.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Any predictions for this guy's first game? (tomorrow @ VAN, going by today's practice)

Hope he plays with Benn. I wish him no GA, a few good hits and a few good first passes.

It's VAN minus Ericsson after all... Horvat will go up against the 1st or 2nd pairing.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Desharnais has done a remarkable job of bettering his life. Too small or untalented, he persevered at a low minor league level, was signed to an NHL contract, and earned a handsome salary. He'll have enough saved to live a relatively comfortable existence after he retires.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
this is a good opportunity for Davidson...

If he can show a willingness to be physical like Emelin, but make better decisions with and without the puck, he'll easily surpass Emelin.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Desharnais has done a remarkable job of bettering his life. Too small or untalented, he persevered at a low minor league level, was signed to an NHL contract, and earned a handsome salary. He'll have enough saved to live a relatively comfortable existence after he retires.

He's a multi-millionaire, married to a hot chick, living the life of luxury. Am I a bad person for not caring about a pro athlete having a bad day, because he was traded?

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
this is a good opportunity for Davidson...

If he can show a willingness to be physical like Emelin, but make better decisions with and without the puck, he'll easily surpass Emelin.

I hope it's not just one opportunity...too much pressure.
I'm hoping Davidson gets several opportunities.

Play physical in a smart way (not like Emelin who throws a huge hip check when we're winning 9-0:shakehead) while making smart decisions with or without the puck...exactly. Playoffs...I don't always trust Emelin's DEFENSE 101 hockey sense. Prediction: Davidson will be smarter than Emelin.

Hoping Las Vegas doesn't go for any of our players (forward or dman), but if they do...really hoping it's Emelin and his $4.1mil/yr.

Price, Galchenyuk, Radulov, Markov...will all want more money soon (will they all stay?). Emelin and his $4.1mil on the OUT is the most logical choice (with Benn and Davidson there with cheap contracts).

OUT:
Therrien, 5'5 DD, Barberio, Pateryn (have to give to get), Ghetto for 6'4 Martinsen.
(so very happy about all this...we should be less soft for playoffs and smarter without Therrien).

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Anyone watch a lot of Davidson vs the Canucks yesterday? (I missed the game due to a ''graveyard'' work shift).

How was his play with/without the puck?
(thanks/cheers ahead of time for any info... I only know he's a -1 with 14:40min of ice-time...18shifts...source: espn nhl boxscore).

Cheers!

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
not much to say. quick reaction time but bad d-positioning and not knowing what to do defensively.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
not much to say. quick reaction time but bad d-positioning and not knowing what to do defensively.

Um. No. I thought he looked like Benn out there. He was pretty solid in his first game. Petry was actually out ofosition on the goal. Not sure who you were watching that game but it wasn't Davidson. Even the announcers said he looked solid.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He was fine, moved the puck well, don't listen to the people that are suggesting otherwise. He had a good game.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I only caught a couple of his shifts but I was surprised by his mobility. He really likes to jump up into the play.

Really reminds me of Frankie Bouillon.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
thought he was decent last night, looked a bit nervous to start out but settle down quickly...but also thought he struggled in 3rd period.

All in all, he showed enough IMO to earn another shot to impress

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
thought he was decent last night, looked a bit nervous to start out but settle down quickly...but also thought he struggled in 3rd period.

But probably will sit to be sure you don't alienate Emelin too much.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell

Yeah... first shift, specifically.

A couple strides down on the left side of the d-zone with the puck, awkwardly dumps it about 10 ft high dead centre in the neutral zone to nobody, VAN recovers... I thought to myself, "Holy **** dude you gonna have a long night".

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
He played decent. Nothing special, but I guess that's ok. Didn't notice him all that much so it's a good sign. He was a little overmatched physically though at times. If Emelin is on his game I don't see him losing his spot to Davidson though. Emelin is just a tank and when he eliminates brain farts he's solid as a rock.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
defensively with the puck he makes poor decisions.

His shot seems deadly though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad