Confirmed with Link: [MTL/EDM] Desharnais (20% retained) traded to Edmonton for Brandon Davidson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Davidson is signed for next season & I'm good with him being our #6/#7. Keeps it simple & steady which is what you want from that spot. Seems like a good teammate. A nice pick-up for DD.

He was very good last night, moves the puck well and gets his shot off quickly.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He was very good last night, moves the puck well and gets his shot off quickly.

He's not THAT good, but I'm ok with a relatively cheap yet experienced depth D for 2 more years than I was with DD at his salary for this year, then losing him for nothing.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
He's not THAT good, but I'm ok with a relatively cheap yet experienced depth D for 2 more years than I was with DD at his salary for this year, then losing him for nothing.

He was good 'last night' , which is what I was focusing on. I think the kid has potential

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
He was good 'last night' , which is what I was focusing on. I think the kid has potential

Agreed. Last season, Davidson was pretty good for Edmonton and he could potentially bounce back to that form next year.

The way I see it is that Davidson takes Pateryn's place in our depth chart (and is miles better) and is basicallly insurance in case Las Vegas takes Emelin and our young D prospects aren't ready to step in.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
DD has 4 points since being traded. He's lucky there's another team added to the league, may have a chance to stay in the league for cheap.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Agreed. Last season, Davidson was pretty good for Edmonton and he could potentially bounce back to that form next year.

The way I see it is that Davidson takes Pateryn's place in our depth chart (and is miles better) and is basicallly insurance in case Las Vegas takes Emelin and our young D prospects aren't ready to step in.

Las Vegas is ruining everything!! Because everytime Benn or Davidson does well for our Habs I'm thinking Las Vegas will snatch him from us! (they're both dirt cheap for the next two seasons and LV will like that, plus their potential).

Really hope Bergevin can make a deal with LV this summer (for a draft pick instead of taking one of our players), so we can keep everyone (Hudon, Beaulieu, Benn, Davidson, etc).

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
10-12 minutes is third line minutes

DD is a fringe NHLer at best

0 points in his last 10 games I believe

It's 10:00 at night, and you need to pickup a spare for your rec hockey game at 10:30. Do you call DD or Pleks? Tough call.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
10-12 minutes is third line minutes

DD is a fringe NHLer at best

0 points in his last 10 games I believe

Then Eller must've gotten 2nd line minutes entire time he was here.

Mitchell plays 12:35 for us...

Either way, he has went on a cold streak but it's their problem. I think they just wanted someone to hold the fort so they can put leon with McDavid. Mission accomplished.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Then Eller must've gotten 2nd line minutes entire time he was here.

Mitchell plays 12:35 for us...

Either way, he has went on a cold streak but it's their problem. I think they just wanted someone to hold the fort so they can put leon with McDavid. Mission accomplished.

Mitchell kills penalties as did eller. 5v5 minutes are always around 10-11

DD doesn't kill penalties is horrible on the PP

Which is why he has Been useless for three years

Which is also why we should have kept eller over DD

Fringe NHLer that rode patches back for 5 years

Slowly getting worse every year

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I didn't know anything about Davidson pre trade, I was very skeptical since we got him for DD but I have liked what I've seen. He seems to play a safe, smart game. He's a bit on the skinny side from the looks of it, but perhaps he'll be a decent 7th D for us next year. Nice job by management to get him for DD.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Mitchell kills penalties as did eller. 5v5 minutes are always around 10-11

DD doesn't kill penalties is horrible on the PP

Which is why he has Been useless for three years

Which is also why we should have kept eller over DD

Fringe NHLer that rode patches back for 5 years

Slowly getting worse every year

Desharnais was 10th in ES TOI/GP among regular forwards when with the habs. There's 9 forwards on 3 lines.

Surprisingly he's 8th in Edmonton, probably because they load up the first 2 lines. DD gets no PP TOI in Edmonton.

He is getting worse though, that much is obvious.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
Love the way he moved the puck again tonight, and the puck is gone from the stick right away.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Love the way he moved the puck again tonight, and the puck is gone from the stick right away.

I think coaches love to have these kinds of depth guys. He seems really low maintenance, and he is about as low risk as you can get in terms of managing the puck. There's really no indecisiveness to his game either that I have seen.

He's completely unspectacular, and I mean that as a compliment. You see the brain cramps that Nesterov was committing tonight, and you appreciate Davidson as a depth guy even more.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I like what I'm seeing. Could become a 4th D with more confidence and more playing time. It's tough to gain momemtum when you play 1/3 of the games. It was the same problem with Pateryn.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He's solid and steady back there, exactly what you want from a bottom pairing guy. Nice to get something positive from dealing Desharnais. Good trade.

Oct 22, 2012
This kid can play, I know a few of the analytics crowd were happy we got him, and he seems to be passing the eye test lately. Doesn't appear to be overly physical, but if you watch the 24ch trade deadline episode, he looks to be as big if not bigger than Martinsen, broad shoulders.

Loving our dept D now, outside of Nesterov

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I didn't know anything about Davidson pre trade, I was very skeptical since we got him for DD but I have liked what I've seen. He seems to play a safe, smart game. He's a bit on the skinny side from the looks of it, but perhaps he'll be a decent 7th D for us next year. Nice job by management to get him for DD.

I know a lot of fanboys liked Pateryn, but Davidson brings the same and some more, Pateryn was overrated big time here, he handled the puck like a grenade and wasn't a difference maker with his physical game, Davidson might not be as physical but the end results are that Davidson does a neater, cleaner job with less pucks banging glasses as breakouts. He's an upgrade as a depth D. MB won the Pateryn - benn trade and then the DD - Davidson trade. Well done with our depth, MB (although winning deals with fringe NHL players he didn't adress the real problems though, in not bringing in one or two top 6 players and a replacement for Markov).

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014
Desharnais was 10th in ES TOI/GP among regular forwards when with the habs. There's 9 forwards on 3 lines.

Surprisingly he's 8th in Edmonton, probably because they load up the first 2 lines. DD gets no PP TOI in Edmonton.

He is getting worse though, that much is obvious.

you are using this year as an example or the past 4? there was an obvious drop the past two seasons even MT couldnt keep playing him as much. my argument is that he was overused for years now.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know a lot of fanboys liked Pateryn, but Davidson brings the same and some more, Pateryn was overrated big time here, he handled the puck like a grenade and wasn't a difference maker with his physical game, Davidson might not be as physical but the end results are that Davidson does a neater, cleaner job with less pucks banging glasses as breakouts. He's an upgrade as a depth D. MB won the Pateryn - benn trade and then the DD - Davidson trade. Well done with our depth, MB (although winning deals with fringe NHL players he didn't adress the real problems though, in not bringing in one or two top 6 players and a replacement for Markov).

I rooted for Pateryn since I watched him all through his Michigan years, but had my doubts about him becoming an NHL regular due to his skating/mobility/foot speed. He's got that big shot though, and now with an extra team in the NHL, that's going to open up more jobs. Management won the Davidson just by subtraction, in the short term the Benn trade is a slam dunk but we'll see if Pateryn does anything down the road. Management takes a ton of heat but most of their trades have been good ones. They might look bad on the Ghetto trade if he finds consistency but even then it's not like he was going to unseat Lehkonen or anyone else in the top 6 and he's not really made for bottom lines. The Danault trade though could pay dividends for a long time, what a steal to get him and a 2nd rounder.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He looked shaky his first couple of games, obviously as he hadn't played much, but he's really played solid the last few games.

Just wanted to get DD away from the team, getting a solid depth D for him was excellent.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm just glad to be finally rid of all the freaking drama. Now if the same could be said of the whole Weber/Subban thing I'd be even happier :shakehead .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad