Confirmed with Link: [MTL/EDM] Desharnais (20% retained) traded to Edmonton for Brandon Davidson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
rejoice.png

01f45d94-2dda-4d8d-98e3-7abe1f8add64_TVASPORTS_WEB.jpg

rejoice.png

Some are happy he's gone because they were tired of the DD-hate but knowledgeable HFHabbers are happy he's gone because he freaking SUCKS!

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I have a friend in Edmonton who works for the team, he has said for two years now Davidson has all the tools to be a #2-3 pairing, no question. He spoke about his battles that kid has went through, and his skillset that has never been showcased yet.

Dunno for sure, but he's a scout... take it for whatever you will

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I have a friend in Edmonton who works for the team, he has said for two years now Davidson has all the tools to be a #2-3 pairing, no question. He spoke about his battles that kid has went through, and his skillset that has never been showcased yet.

Honestly can't believe MB got Davidson for Desharnais. He was real good last year and he's still young enough.

Maybe he got him for the expansion draft though, I don't know. I'm not going to put too much stock in his struggles this year as he was injured. With his work ethic, I doubt he can't be a legit NHLer, which is more than Desharnais.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

I would scratch Emelin and give Davidson a couple of games to see what he can do. He seems to have the skill set and is now fully healthy so it only makes sense to give him a look.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Honestly can't believe MB got Davidson for Desharnais. He was real good last year and he's still young enough.

Maybe he got him for the expansion draft though, I don't know. I'm not going to put too much stock in his struggles this year as he was injured. With his work ethic, I doubt he can't be a legit NHLer, which is more than Desharnais.

I would scratch Emelin and give Davidson a couple of games to see what he can do. He seems to have the skill set and is now fully healthy so it only makes sense to give him a look.

I have never seen him play myself, but he was really shocked the Oil gave up on the kid. Lacks a little size, but his character , smarts, determination is second to none. Just raves about the kid, and what he went through to become a pro.

Loves his shot and play without the puck, said he was totally in the wrong organization if you need development on the blueline.. Oiler hockey isn't a great place for young dmen.

Anyways, here's hoping!

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009
I have never seen him play myself, but he was really shocked the Oil gave up on the kid. Lacks a little size, but his character , smarts, determination is second to none. Just raves about the kid, and what he went through to become a pro.

Loves his shot and play without the puck, said he was totally in the wrong organization if you need development on the blueline.. Oiler hockey isn't a great place for young dmen.

Anyways, here's hoping!

Chiarelli sure made it seem like they thought they would lose him for nothing in the expansion draft so they trading him for something, even if it is small something. I suppose your friend would have more internal info but heard Chiarelli talking about the trade on trade deadline day mentioning that.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
We're talking about an organization who gave up on Jeff Petry for a pick. So I wouldnt be surprised if Davidson is still raw and can develop into top 6 dman. Bergevin has good flair when it comes to acquiring role players (Weise, Byron, Mitchell, Weaver...)

Jul 1, 2014
Canada

Getting Davidson is great but DD is not as bad as he is painted on this board. Thinking he is not a legit NHLer is kind of weird. I watched Desharnais yesterday and he was very good. He is a great fit on that roster and helped produce multiple scoring chances.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Getting Davidson is great but DD is not as bad as he is painted on this board. Thinking he is not a legit NHLer is kind of weird. I watched Desharnais yesterday and he was very good. He is a great fit on that roster and helped produce multiple scoring chances.

I e said it once and I will say it again...if DD was one of a few smurfs on our team, it probably would not have been as big a deal. However, being the smallest among 7 others made him the face boy for the fans frustrations for wanting to get bigger.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
We're talking about an organization who gave up on Jeff Petry for a pick. So I wouldnt be surprised if Davidson is still raw and can develop into top 6 dman. Bergevin has good flair when it comes to acquiring role players (Weise, Byron, Mitchell, Weaver...)

Of course he does!

Bargain%20Bin%20waits%20for%20phone%20PNG_zpsesp7ygn2.png

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Good for P'tit David getting a point on his first match...wish him the best in Edmonton!

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Not sure if already posted, but Davidson says he had been in touch with Petry before he came over... could there already be some kind of familiarity/chemistry between the two of them, making it an easy decision (swap) when Emelin is either drafted or traded? Young stay at home D to play with an offensively inclined, vet D. I don't know their timelines with EDM well enough to say if they overlapped, and played together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GJ1mQcNHt0

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Good for P'tit David getting a point on his first match...wish him the best in Edmonton!

I looked at the first period and saw him being his usual self, floating at the blue line while his linemates do the hard defensive work.

But yeah, he's got an assist so now the Oilers fans think they got a 'dominant 3rd liner'. :laugh:

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
:laugh:

Just watch the whole thing it's hilarious.

:propeller

"David's a utility player able to play different special teams. With that experience we'll be able to ask him questions too, like 'how did you do that in Montreal?'..."

DD: "In case of a turnover, skate over to your bench so Tomas can jump on the ice..."

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

So even under best case scenario, the big hole still remains. An LD who can play top minutes. We are currently asking Markov to do too much at this stage of his career.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
So even under best case scenario, the big hole still remains. An LD who can play top minutes. We are currently asking Markov to do too much at this stage of his career.

Julien is actually managing his minutes pretty well , he's playing around 22 minutes per game. I don't think it's too much for him...

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
This was written by an Oilers fan on another website that shall remain nameless:

My take on Davidson:

Brandon Davidson is my favourite player, and I'll tell you why.

Didn't get drafted into the WHL, and had to quit playing hockey because his parents couldn't afford the fees. Grinded it out in the **** leagues, and didn't even get into the WHL until he was draft eligible. Thought he was good enough to play in the WHL, and showed up at the Regina Pats camp.

Made the team as a walk on. Quickly led them in plus-minus with a +15 on a garbage -32 team. Worked like hell on the Pats, and was eventually named Captain.

The Oilers drafted him with a spare pick in the bowels of the 2010 entry draft. After the WHL, he was sent down to the ECHL, where talent goes to die a miserable, bus haunting death. He excelled in the ECHL, impressing the coaches with his work effort and talent. Then...he got cancer. Testicular cancer. Lost a nut, and lost a lot of playing time and a huge amount of conditioning and muscle.

Most people would pack it up and go back to western Canada, maybe make some money on the rigs or help out on the farm. Not Davidson.

He beat cancer, and worked his way back to the AHL Barons. Rode the (slightly less ******) bus, and impressed the coaches enough that he got his cup of coffee in the NHL. Long road from being too broke to play hockey and going undrafted in the 'Dub.

Then the Oilers drafted Connor McDavid, and Katz cleared out the management - or at least re-shuffled some of the corpses. With his backers no longer (lordy lord Oilers fans hope) in power, many though Davidson's time in the NHL was done. Nope.

He fought his way onto the squad, albeit a NHL-worst defence. He was waiver bait at the start of the year, but by the time days were short and the mercury was low he was playing 25 minutes a night, and excelling. The Oilers are not defensively sound, but many nights Brandon "Barely Drafted" Davidson was the best defenseman on the ice; and not just for the Oilers, for either team.

He just signed a two-year X $1.45M deal, and my guess is that it's a value deal at the end of it. Love this player.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
This was written by an Oilers fan on another website that shall remain nameless:

My take on Davidson:

Didn't get drafted into the WHL, and had to quit playing hockey because his parents couldn't afford the fees. Grinded it out in the **** leagues, and didn't even get into the WHL until he was draft eligible. Thought he was good enough to play in the WHL, and showed up at the Regina Pats camp.

Made the team as a walk on. Quickly led them in plus-minus with a +15 on a garbage -32 team. Worked like hell on the Pats, and was eventually named Captain.

The Oilers drafted him with a spare pick in the bowels of the 2010 entry draft. After the WHL, he was sent down to the ECHL, where talent goes to die a miserable, bus haunting death. He excelled in the ECHL, impressing the coaches with his work effort and talent. Then...he got cancer. Testicular cancer. Lost a nut, and lost a lot of playing time and a huge amount of conditioning and muscle.

Most people would pack it up and go back to western Canada, maybe make some money on the rigs or help out on the farm. Not Davidson.

He beat cancer, and worked his way back to the AHL Barons. Rode the (slightly less ******) bus, and impressed the coaches enough that he got his cup of coffee in the NHL. Long road from being too broke to play hockey and going undrafted in the 'Dub.

Then the Oilers drafted Connor McDavid, and Katz cleared out the management - or at least re-shuffled some of the corpses. With his backers no longer (lordy lord Oilers fans hope) in power, many though Davidson's time in the NHL was done. Nope.

He fought his way onto the squad, albeit a NHL-worst defence. He was waiver bait at the start of the year, but by the time days were short and the mercury was low he was playing 25 minutes a night, and excelling. The Oilers are not defensively sound, but many nights Brandon "Barely Drafted" Davidson was the best defenseman on the ice; and not just for the Oilers, for either team.

He just signed a two-year X $1.45M deal, and my guess is that it's a value deal at the end of it. Love this player.

Nice story! Why the oilers traded him? All I read and hear about this kid is good words and praise...

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

My take on Davidson:

Cool. Hopefully he pays off. We got him for nothing so...

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Julien is actually managing his minutes pretty well , he's playing around 22 minutes per game. I don't think it's too much for him...

When it counts, I'm expecting that the temptation to play your best guys more and more is going to be very powerful. What is our option if the other LD can't get the job done in the playoffs, or can't be trusted as much? It's quite possible, and it's going to be up to marky to pick up some more minutes.

Aside from that, I think this top pair needs more mobility, but that's been a problem for most of the year. (No, I don't think beaulieu is the answer).

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
My take on Davidson:
<Brandon Davidson is my favourite player, and I'll tell you why.
<Made the team as a walk on. Quickly led them in plus-minus with a +15 on a garbage -32 team. Worked like hell on the Pats, and was eventually named Captain.
<The Oilers drafted him with a spare pick in the bowels of the 2010 entry draft. After the WHL, he was sent down to the ECHL, where talent goes to die a miserable, bus haunting death. He excelled in the ECHL, impressing the coaches with his work effort and talent.
<Then...he got cancer. Testicular cancer. Lost a nut, and lost a lot of playing time and a huge amount of conditioning and muscle.
<Most people would pack it up and go back to western Canada, maybe make some money on the rigs or help out on the farm. Not Davidson.
<He beat cancer, and worked his way back to the AHL Barons. Rode the (slightly less ******) bus, and impressed the coaches enough that he got his cup of coffee in the NHL. Long road from being too broke to play hockey and going undrafted in the 'Dub.
<Then the Oilers drafted Connor McDavid, and Katz cleared out the management - or at least re-shuffled some of the corpses. With his backers no longer (lordy lord Oilers fans hope) in power, many though Davidson's time in the NHL was done. Nope.
<He fought his way onto the squad, albeit a NHL-worst defence. He was waiver bait at the start of the year, but by the time days were short and the mercury was low he was playing 25 minutes a night, and excelling. The Oilers are not defensively sound, but many nights Brandon "Barely Drafted" Davidson was the best defenseman on the ice; and not just for the Oilers, for either team.
<He just signed a two-year X $1.45M deal, and my guess is that it's a value deal at the end of it. Love this player.

Thanks for sharing this great and very inspiring story. Wow! What Davidson went through (cancer) and how he didn't take the ''easy way'' to the NHL.

The more I read about Davidson...the more I ask ''why would Edmonton trade Davidson?'' (and for 5'5 DD?). Due to Las Vegas
maybe picking him up? (if so, why not try to get more for Davidson instead of just DD?). Lazar was worth a 2nd...surely Davidson was worth a 2nd or a 3rd, no? (anyways...so glad we got him for DD).

I have a friend in Edmonton who works for the team, he has said for two years now Davidson has all the tools to be a #2-3 pairing, no question. He spoke about his battles that kid has went through, and his skillset that has never been showcased yet. Dunno for sure, but he's a scout... take it for whatever you will

Thanks/cheers for great info...the more I read about Davidson the more I want him to succeed...he has to...he deserves it (from what I'm reading). Let's hope the Habs give him plenty of chances (and not just 2-3 games).

You took the words right out my mouth! (rotate some dmen for some resting/healing time...especially back-to-back games...rest Markov and Emelin so Davidson can have some chances to get familiar with some teammates and 1-2 dman partners). I'd obviously like to rest Weber and Petry before the playoffs, but I'm sure they'll say no to resting/being a healthy scratch (Markov will probably say no, as well...gotta force him for the good of the team).

And, I'd want to give more than a couple of games so Davidson doesn't feel too ''tight'' out there. I'd give him more than a couple of games, so he could feel confident and looser, as opposed to tight.
I wanna see what he can do...and he needs to get used to his new teammates before playoffs.

Not sure if already posted, but Davidson says he had been in touch with Jeff Petry before he came over... could there already be some kind of familiarity/chemistry between the two of them, making it an easy decision (swap) when Emelin is either drafted or traded? Young stay at home D to play with an offensively inclined, vet D.
I... together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GJ1mQcNHt0

A Davidson-Petry could be a good duo...if they're familiar with each other. Not a bad idea...can't hurt to try it for a few games...or at least try Davidson on the third pair (to start).

Last edited:

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement

My take on Davidson:

Heck of a story. Dude's been through Hell and back.

Wish him the best as a Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad