Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Lane Hutson signs ELC with the Canadiens (3 years, $950k AAV)

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
While trying to follow Tom Willander's development, I was able to watch Hutson play a lot.

Kid has insane vision, like galaxy brain stuff. Yes the defense can be bad, but I think that is a team system thing. I think a player this smart can adapt in a year or two to defending well. I remember QHughes having a rough defensive last season in NCAA. But he was trying to do too much. Fast forward, and Hughes is a stud defensively for Van after putting on some muscle and focusing on it specifically.

I think offensive instinct cannot be taught. Defensively, its all up to the effort and dedication of Hutson.

I'm actually really excited to see his pro debut! Habs fans, any indications as to when he is expected to play?

update:- To answer my own question...he's playing today!!! Awesome matchup as the Wings are in a do or die game so I was planning on watching anyways :)

Last edited:

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
While trying to follow Tom Willander's development, I was able to watch Hutson play a lot.

Kid has insane vision, like galaxy brain stuff. Yes the defense can be bad, but I think that is a team system thing. I think a player this smart can adapt in a year or two to defending well. I remember QHughes having a rough defensive last season in NCAA. But he was trying to do too much. Fast forward, and Hughes is a stud defensively for Van after putting on some muscle and focusing on it specifically.

I think offensive instinct cannot be taught. Defensively, its all up to the effort and dedication of Hutson.

I'm actually really excited to see his pro debut! Habs fans, any indications as to when he is expected to play?
Quinn uses his skating (which is like top 5-10 in the NHL) to make up for his lack of size. Hutson unfortunately does not have that level of skating.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Quinn uses his skating (which is like top 5-10 in the NHL) to make up for his lack of size. Hutson unfortunately does not have that level of skating.
That is true and I agree. However I don't believe you need to be an elite skater to defend well. Adam Fox is not a great skater, yet he is near elite defensively. I think Hutson will need to put on a lot more muscle though, but I have seen him defend well when he puts his mind to it.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
Hutson is going to improve his skating and he's going to play closer to a rover style.

Obviously he needs a shutdown partner and right now we got Guhle who plays off wing as well as Reinbacher.

In a few years see a big headache for opposing teams in...

Reinbacher-Hutson
Mailioux-Ghule
Barron-X (Barron needs to take it to another level. X has offense potential)

Or...spread offense...

Reinbacher-Hutson
Matheson-Ghule (second scoring pair)
X-Mailioux (played together in AHL, but obviously not ideal shutdown pair)

There is also a really wild possibility of putting Mailioux with Hutson and creating offensive nightmare...as well as defensive nightmare. Run and gun going wild....

At least now we can see a much clearer picture of what the future brings vs perpetual mediocrity.
Struble is and will always be ahead of Barron

Reactions: Gravity

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
That is true and I agree. However I don't believe you need to be an elite skater to defend well. Adam Fox is not a great skater, yet he is near elite defensively. I think Hutson will need to put on a lot more muscle though, but I have seen him defend well when he puts his mind to it.
Fox being as good as he is is legit one of the most impressive things I've seen given his physical tools (or lack thereof).

Undersized, very much a below average skater, yet a top 3 dman in the NHL. Wildly impressive.

My big concern with Hutson is I don't think he has any one particular tool that will allow him to defend effectively at the NHL level

Undersized
Not an elite skater
Not physical at all
I'm not a big fan of his positional play defensively
I'm not a big fan of his stick work defensively (Quinn for example has FANTASTIC stickwork defensively)

Best of luck to him but unfortunately I wouldn't be all too surprised if he ends up as an AHL all star type a la Ty Smith, Will Butcher, Reilly Walsh (to use examples of undersized dman I know from NJD).

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Fox being as good as he is is legit one of the most impressive things I've seen given his physical tools (or lack thereof).

Undersized, very much a below average skater, yet a top 3 dman in the NHL. Wildly impressive.

My big concern with Hutson is I don't think he has any one particular tool that will allow him to defend effectively at the NHL level

Undersized
Not an elite skater
Not physical at all
I'm not a big fan of his positional play defensively
I'm not a big fan of his stick work defensively (Quinn for example has FANTASTIC stickwork defensively)

Best of luck to him but unfortunately I wouldn't be all too surprised if he ends up as an AHL all star type a la Ty Smith, Will Butcher, Reilly Walsh (to use examples of undersized dman I know from NJD).
Fox is not a Top 3 dman atm.

Reactions: viceroy

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I think Heinskanen, Hedman and McCavoy are also better overall.
Agreed. Thing is Dobson and Seider are still improving. There’s a shit ton of good young D men in the league right now and others like Nemec,,Jiricek and Luke Hughes coming.

Hedman and Josi can still bring the goods. Bouchard, while a lead foot will be a top end D man.

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
I remember Ryan Poehling scored 3 in his first game and was anointed the next Guy Lafleur.
I dont recall anyone putting him on that level, but i think any fan base would be excited if one of there prospects had a hat trick in his first NHL game (and also scored the SO winner in said game). Something that has only happen 5 times in the past 100 years.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Haha kid is fire !!!

Skating looks fine to me :)
Yup, for all the talk that he's slow, his skating was fine.... his agility is high, his straight-out speed is just ok, but "just ok" is plenty if a guy has vision, and he seems to have that and good positioning.

Doesn't mean he's the next Quinn Hughes, but a high end upside is clearly there.

I remember Ryan Poehling scored 3 in his first game and was anointed the next Guy Lafleur.
No one ever thought that.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
He created the first Montreal goal but then was directly responsible for the first goal against by just roaming around the D zone. He seems like he has absolutely no idea where to be or what to do in the defensive end, it seemed like he was just looking for opportunities to steal the puck to create a break. I feel like that's coachable, if he can settle down and just play within a defensive system he might not be a liability. Don't think the size is going to be a concern and it already looks like the offence translates, defence needs a TON of work though

Reactions: Sting

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
He created the first Montreal goal but then was directly responsible for the first goal against by just roaming around the D zone. He seems like he has absolutely no idea where to be or what to do in the defensive end, it seemed like he was just looking for opportunities to steal the puck to create a break. I feel like that's coachable, if he can settle down and just play within a defensive system he might not be a liability. Don't think the size is going to be a concern and it already looks like the offence translates, defence needs a TON of work though
Mtl play a 1on1 def coverage. He followed Kane but followed him to far out. Clearly normal for is first game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad