Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Lane Hutson signs ELC with the Canadiens (3 years, $950k AAV)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018

Since the contract was registered for this season, the first year gets burned even if he didn't play since Hutson is 20. The slide rule only applies to teenagers.

Going back a few years, the Devils signed Joey Anderson and his first year burned without him playing. I believe the same happened with Alex Lyon and and Philadelphia.

You sure? Isn't it the year not the age. So since it's his 19 year old season, it should apply to him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
You sure? Isn't it the year not the age. So since it's his 19 year old season, it should apply to him.
Yup, it’s the player’s age at September 15th of the calendar year when he signs. This time last year, Luke Hughes counted as 20 even though he didn’t officially turn 20 until September 9.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Yup, it’s the player’s age at September 15th of the calendar year when he signs. This time last year, Luke Hughes counted as 20 even though he didn’t officially turn 20 until September 9.

Ah, calender year. I thought it was season year.

My bad. Thanks!

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
#48? Looking sharp.
Screenshot_2024-04-13-10-12-41-525~2.jpg

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Hutson is going to improve his skating and he's going to play closer to a rover style.

Obviously he needs a shutdown partner and right now we got Guhle who plays off wing as well as Reinbacher.

In a few years see a big headache for opposing teams in...

Reinbacher-Hutson
Mailioux-Ghule
Barron-X (Barron needs to take it to another level. X has offense potential)

Or...spread offense...

Reinbacher-Hutson
Matheson-Ghule (second scoring pair)
X-Mailioux (played together in AHL, but obviously not ideal shutdown pair)

There is also a really wild possibility of putting Mailioux with Hutson and creating offensive nightmare...as well as defensive nightmare. Run and gun going wild....

At least now we can see a much clearer picture of what the future brings vs perpetual mediocrity.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Hutson is going to improve his skating and he's going to play closer to a rover style.

Obviously he needs a shutdown partner and right now we got Guhle who plays off wing as well as Reinbacher.

Reinbacher-Hutson
Mailioux-Ghule

Or...spread offense...

Reinbacher-Hutson

There is also a really wild possibility of putting Mailioux with Hutson and creating offensive nightmare...as well as defensive nightmare. Run and gun going wild....

At least now we can see a much clearer picture of what the future brings vs perpetual mediocrity.
This is out of necessity and I wouldn't expect it's the long term plan at all. Nice to have some flexibility but I think he'll be back on left D to start next season

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is out of necessity and I wouldn't expect it's the long term plan at all. Nice to have some flexibility but I think he'll be back on left D to start next season
One of the problems is that our two most offensive players, actually 3 with Matheson are going to need exceptional shut down partners. Rein and Ghule are the first two to go with Hutson and Mailman.

Savard is too old and slow to pair with Matheson so we do have a need for another top RHD to balance out.

BTW, for those who are not paying attention, Mailman is one point away from top scoring defenseman in the AHL. I think he will take top spot.

Doublechin

Jun 23, 2013
For a late 2nd round pick to generate that much attention means he is a special player. Let’s see if it translates
They need to hire the city's top trainer and find a way to have him gain 5-10 pounds of muscle from now until next season

Literally bulk the f*** outta him and focus on legs and lower back

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
One of the problems is that our two most offensive players, actually 3 with Matheson are going to need exceptional shut down partners. Rein and Ghule are the first two to go with Hutson and Mailman.

Savard is too old and slow to pair with Matheson so we do have a need for another top RHD to balance out.

BTW, for those who are not paying attention, Mailman is one point away from top scoring defenseman in the AHL. I think he will take top spot.
Don't think Matheson will be in the plans long term to be honest, unless Hutson is a bust I just don't see how Matheson gets another deal here. Once they have to pay all these guys I don't think they can afford to have Matheson at whatever raise he's looking at anyways. Unless any of the 3 force their hand in camp I think Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux all start in Laval

Hutson-Reinbacher
Guhle-Mailloux
Xhekaj-whoever

In a couple years I think is what they're hoping/planning for

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Don't think Matheson will be in the plans long term to be honest, unless Hutson is a bust I just don't see how Matheson gets another deal here. Once they have to pay all these guys I don't think they can afford to have Matheson at whatever raise he's looking at anyways. Unless any of the 3 force their hand in camp I think Hutson, Reinbacher, Mailloux all start in Laval

Hutson-Reinbacher
Guhle-Mailloux
Xhekaj-whoever

In a couple years I think is what they're hoping/planning for
Mailman didn't get a look in the big club because he's chasing the scoring title.

Hutson will get a long look simply because of his enormous talent.

Rein is a question mark for a long look.

So it could be two getting more of a long look or making it in the big club. Not necessarily out of camp but at some point during the year.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite

Reinbacher-Hutson
Mailioux-Ghule

Or...spread offense...

Reinbacher-Hutson

Good, accurate post.

HuGo will let the NHL know that they have 2 very good young D on the market this summer, Harris & Struble. I like to keep Struble but there isn’t room moving forward. We’ll probably see one of the D move including Winnipeg 1st for a good young F or top 10 pick. Mtl will look a lot more competitive next year with a healthy Dach +++

Reactions: HuGo Sham

Gaud

May 11, 2017
For a late 2nd round pick to generate that much attention means he is a special player. Let’s see if it translates
I just want him to score so i can say "Looking Hut, son!"

Seriously though.. so much hype! I think 90% of it has to do with the numbers he put up in at BU surpassing Makar's, who were pretty nice to begin with. I'll hold off on buying a seat on St Catherine in Mtl, but im psyched!

Hands down the most interesting prospect for the Habs. If he turns out... He's going to be something special. If he doesn't, then it was a worthwhile gamble.
Or you know.. somewhere in between :D
What do you think is the threshold for "special" here? Makar/Q Hughes numbers? 70ish points?

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
It’ll be interesting to see how he does

Zellweger is 6 months older, made the jump earlier this year and looks like he’s not going back to the ahl. Built similarly physically(zellweger a little more solid)

I think hutson will be dangerous offensively, but interested to see how he fairs defensively. Regardless he’s gunna be fun to watch
Now, if he could only skate like Zellweger.

Reactions: Wats

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I just want him to score so i can say "Looking Hut, son!"

Seriously though.. so much hype! I think 90% of it has to do with the numbers he put up in at BU surpassing Makar's, who were pretty nice to begin with. I'll hold off on buying a seat on St Catherine in Mtl, but im psyched!

Or you know.. somewhere in between :D
What do you think is the threshold for "special" here? Makar/Q Hughes numbers? 70ish points?
Maybe. But nah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad