Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] D Lane Hutson signs ELC with the Canadiens (3 years, $950k AAV)

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Mtl play a 1on1 def coverage. He followed Kane but followed him to far out. Clearly normal for is first game.
There were multiple times where I noticed him leaving his man following the puck, it burned them badly on the first goal but it just feels like he's thinking offence already when they're defending. I think he can improve on it

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Montreal fans are notoriously known to EXTREMELY overhype their players. I mean, I've never seen anything like it. They talk about your average 25-30 goal scorers as if they're Crosby or McDavid.

With that said, I do think Lane Hutson is the real deal. I think this kid is going to be an absolute superstar in this league. A future Norris trophy candidate/winner. Will be a top 10 defenseman in the league for a number of years.

Reactions: Rude Dog

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Montreal fans are notoriously known to EXTREMELY overhype their players. I mean, I've never seen anything like it. They talk about your average 25-30 goal scorers as if they're Crosby or McDavid.

With that said, I do think Lane Hutson is the real deal. I think this kid is going to be an absolute superstar in this league. A future Norris trophy candidate/winner. Will be a top 10 defenseman in the league for a number of years.
It's mostly that there are a lot of Habs fans, and the most enthusiastic post the most extreme predictions, which fans from other teams remember as if they were consensus.

I see Hutson as a Gostibehere or Marc-André Bergeron for the time being, if he can take another step maybe he can find the sweet spot the elite guys have found, but I won't be taking that as the most likely scenario.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
It's over NHL fans. No one else is winning a Norris trophy for the next 20 years.

Jokes aside, it'll be interesting to see how he develops. Good offensive talent.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
This player I thought went way too late in the draft. At the u-18s in 2022, he's the one who stood out to me the most out of the entire US team.

Reactions: EveryDay

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I see Hutson as a Gostibehere or Marc-André Bergeron for the time being, if he can take another step maybe he can find the sweet spot the elite guys have found, but I won't be taking that as the most likely scenario.

I think he'll be much better than those two guys. Mainly because of his much higher hockey IQ. Now will he be a Makar or Fox... I'll be happy if he can attain 75% of their results while being adequate at defense.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
It's mostly that there are a lot of Habs fans, and the most enthusiastic post the most extreme predictions, which fans from other teams remember as if they were consensus.

Sure, but no other fan bases do this like Montreal fans. Tons of teams have a lot of fans, Montreal isn't some special exception. Toronto and NYR have way more fans. Possibly Boston too.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
I think he'll be much better than those two guys. Mainly because of his much higher hockey IQ. Now will he be a Makar or Fox... I'll be happy if he can attain 75% of their results while being adequate at defense.
I find it's better to say "a possibly improved Marc-André Bergeron" than "75% of Adam Fox", otherwise in 3 years I'll be reading "Ha! Habs fans thought he'd be the next Adam Fox!"

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If he’s a new, ahead-of-schedule Ghost, that’s fantastic. I don’t think Ghost should be dumped into the same pile as MA Bergeron. Ghost was one of the premier point-producing defensemen in the NHL in his prime and played #2/3 minutes for the Flyers.

That’s simply an outrageously good outcome for a second round pick and anything on top of that would be complete gravy on top of a win.

Reactions: luiginb

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
Sure, but no other fan bases do this like Montreal fans. Tons of teams have a lot of fans, Montreal isn't some special exception. Toronto and NYR have way more fans. Possibly Boston too.

No way do the Rags have more fans than the Habs. Sure NYC's market is huge but there are a ton of teams that share the spotlight over there. Criminy there are 3 NHL teams in close proximity. MTL has MLS and the CFL but those guys are minor players. Same deal for Boston as in New York.

I find it's better to say "a possibly improved Marc-André Bergeron" than "75% of Adam Fox", otherwise in 3 years I'll be reading "Ha! Habs fans thought he'd be the next Adam Fox!"

Marc-André Bergeron+? Talk about damning with faint praise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad