Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Gorges traded to Sabres for MIN's 2nd round pick 2016

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I find it interesting how some people can say that gorges is not very effective anymore, yet the 2nd round pick is not good enough.

I don't think the compensation was that bad to be honest. It works for both teams.

Habs shed salary, and theoretically open a spot for a youngster, while the sabres use gorges salary to help get to the floor.

yeah i was hoping it would be a pick or a prospect. didn't want to take back any salary.

i thought it could've been a bit more but really that's not bad at all. pretty hefty contract off the books.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd rather have a 2nd round pick than Cody Franson. Everyday of the week. You can get a Franson anywhere...Tom Gilbert be example. But 2nd round pick could end up a Lehkonen or Subban. Way Timmins can find them.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
Gorges helping the team with his blocks, even while getting traded.

Thank you gorges, you saved us from shots, Franson and got us a 2nd rounder.

Cheers.

*guffaw*

I don't like that we had to lose Josh Georges the individual, but it was for the overall good of the Montreal Canadiens that we did. Financially and hockey wise.

Now the D corps is much better balanced and Emelin can play on his favoured side.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I find it interesting how some people can say that gorges is not very effective anymore, yet the 2nd round pick is not good enough.

I don't think the compensation was that bad to be honest. It works for both teams.

Habs shed salary, and theoretically open a spot for a youngster, while the sabres use gorges salary to help get to the floor.

Well I didn't want him but nto because he wasn't effective. He still was good defensively, shot blocking, great D IQ and all that....but if you want to change the complexity of your D by addming puckmoving d-men, he had to be the one to go. Either him or Emelin. Emelin was signed by the present GM hence he's going. And with Emelin there's still that knee factor and the fact that he needs to go on his regular side. So leaves Gorges. But adding Gorges to an already more than capable D crew, well I thought it was more than a 2nd in 2016. At the very least, a 2nd in a very very good draft 2015. But maybe even more. With the way they handled, Bergevin painted himself in the corner and HAD to trade Gorges fast, making us not get the return we probably could have gotten. Maybe. Grant says that Gorges value wasn't that high. But just that the perception is that because we HAD to trade him and fast...maybe the return could have been greater by taking more our time and putting teams in competition for it.

Having said that....great strategy. To improve Buffalo just enough so that they won't be able to tank next year and get top players in our division is great management. :D

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
I'd rather have a 2nd round pick than Cody Franson. Everyday of the week. You can get a Franson anywhere...Tom Gilbert be example. But 2nd round pick could end up a Lehkonen or Subban. Way Timmins can find them.
Madness, Franson has more talent on his little finger than Gorges.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Madness, Franson has more talent on his little finger than Gorges.

More offensive talent, yes. But he's horrific in the defensive zone. He gives the puck away constantly and has no idea how to position himself in his own zone.

Bob Cole

Tom ******* Brady
Oct 30, 2009
Franson really?

Thank you josh for saying no. What a disaster that would have been.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Well I didn't want him but nto because he wasn't effective. He still was good defensively, shot blocking, great D IQ and all that....but if you want to change the complexity of your D by addming puckmoving d-men, he had to be the one to go. Either him or Emelin. Emelin was signed by the present GM hence he's going. And with Emelin there's still that knee factor and the fact that he needs to go on his regular side. So leaves Gorges. But adding Gorges to an already more than capable D crew, well I thought it was more than a 2nd in 2016. At the very least, a 2nd in a very very good draft 2015. But maybe even more. With the way they handled, Bergevin painted himself in the corner and HAD to trade Gorges fast, making us not get the return we probably could have gotten. Maybe. Grant says that Gorges value wasn't that high. But just that the perception is that because we HAD to trade him and fast...maybe the return could have been greater by taking more our time and putting teams in competition for it.

Having said that....great strategy. To improve Buffalo just enough so that they won't be able to tank next year and get top players in our division is great management. :D

Don't see that it was MB who painted himself in a corner as I understand it the leak about the trade did not come from the Habs, and then Gorges went public as well. MB was being quiet about it.

Have to say that I am surprised the original trade was for Cody Franson, am happier we added Gilbert, plus the 2nd. Gorges is a solid defensive D but his contract is not a steal for us, its just okay and as such can see why a 2nd would be market value. MB did well to move him quickly after hell broke loose.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
More offensive talent, yes. But he's horrific in the defensive zone. He gives the puck away constantly and has no idea how to position himself in his own zone.

He plays with Phanaeuf, do I need to say more?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Let's be honest here, this deal doesn't make much sense, I think they planned on doing something and they failed. Got screwed. Oh well

Thanks Gorges and good luck in Buffalo, you and Gio should bring great leadership to that young team

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
A 2nd round pick is a perfect return for a player like Josh Gorges. As much as we loved him and he loved us, he is only, ideally, a bottom pairing Dman who brings no offense to the game, is past his prime and who's body has suffered from his style of play.

Nothing against the guy really, I would still love him on the Habs, but he is overpaid and MB, unlike Gainey and Gauthier, actually knows it can hurt the team.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
A 2nd round pick is a perfect return for a player like Josh Gorges. As much as we loved him and he loved us, he is only, ideally, a bottom pairing Dman who brings no offense to the game, is past his prime and who's body has suffered from his style of play.

Nothing against the guy really, I would still love him on the Habs, but he is overpaid and MB, unlike Gainey and Gauthier, actually knows it can hurt the team.

We can even bring him back in two years if he wants a pay cut, I don't mind it.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
We can even bring him back in two years if he wants a pay cut, I don't mind it.

In 2 years there's lotta chance we won't want to bring him back because we won't need him at all.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Gunnarsson played with Phaneuf actually

Yah I was referring to Phaneuf as an example of the suckitude of the Leafs, Franson was paired with different players and one of the resons he struggled mightly was that he was paired at times with Rielly...who is still developing.

The point is that a 6`5 Right shot Dman that has 62 points in the last two seasons and is only 26.....is WAY better than Gorges: last FIVE years combined 56 points...

The time for defensive defensemen is over. Look at all the guys that got bought out this year. And if you are going to have them in your team they cannot make more than 2.5 or 3 mils tops....and they better be physical too.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Some balance would be good. It's frustrating watching Gorges kill offensive opportunities but we'll miss him on the defensive end and on the PK in the coming years.

All will work out if Gilbert is good and he meshes with the existing guys and if Emelin plays better on the other side and if Tinordi develops but that is a lot of ifs. Gorges, a high effort low talent player, is likely to drop off faster with age than skilled guys like Markov but it's still going to be a tough start of the year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

As we moved into 4 more years at his salary, that 2nd round pick would have been nowhere to be found. What is interesting is the significant changes MB made to the team within a very short time, a team that was but two wins away from a SC final. Some might say, pretty gutsy moves.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
As we moved into 4 more years at his salary, that 2nd round pick would have been nowhere to be found. What is interesting is the significant changes MB made to the team within a very short time, a team that was but two wins away from a SC final. Some might say, pretty gutsy moves.

Neither Gorges and Gionta were key players in this year's playoffs. I wouldn't say it's significant changes as the core as been left untouched.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Yah I was referring to Phaneuf as an example of the suckitude of the Leafs, Franson was paired with different players and one of the resons he struggled mightly was that he was paired at times with Rielly...who is still developing.

The point is that a 6`5 Right shot Dman that has 62 points in the last two seasons and is only 26.....is WAY better than Gorges: last FIVE years combined 56 points...

The time for defensive defensemen is over. Look at all the guys that got bought out this year. And if you are going to have them in your team they cannot make more than 2.5 or 3 mils tops....and they better be physical too.

What?

The day a team decides that they no longer need defensive defensemen is the day that the team decides that they are content with never winning a Cup.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Neither Gorges and Gionta were key players in this year's playoffs. I wouldn't say it's significant changes as the core as been left untouched.

No, not on the ice but within hockey's sacred grounds, the dressing room and its spiritual leaders.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
What?

The day a team decides that they no longer need defensive defensemen is the day that the team decides that they are content with never winning a Cup.

The game is evolving towards having as many of your D man: (a) move the puck (b) join the rush and (c) participate in the score sheet.

I am not saying the strictly denfensive D man needs to dissapear tomorrow, but its use is certainly on the decline...unless you want to spend your three periods tied up in your own zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad