Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Gorges traded to Sabres for MIN's 2nd round pick 2016

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You could never be more wrong.

Teach a defensive defensemen how to consistently make accurate 6 foot passes and teams don't get hemmed in. LA Kings regards.

What are you saying? That players purposely don't learn something that is apparently super easy to learn (according to you of course)?
By the way, there is more to being a good puck mover than doing a stretch pass. Don't you know this?
If it was easy, they would all be doing it.
Subban fans are upset that Gorges said this when asked about PK returning to the team after his holdout........

"Like I said, it's good that it's over and done with and it's settled. We don't have to have these talks in the morning of what-if-this and what-if-that. It's over. We can focus on playing hockey."

I think the PK fans wanted a little bit more fawning from Gorges.

Your team has a very solid and dependable DMan with Gorges. I wish him luck but not too much.;)

Gorges look like a moron because of his comments on Hamrlik during the lockout.

As for the comments about PK, a big part you are leaving out is that Gorges's comment was an answer to a question about if he was happy to have him back.
Compare that answer to Therrien's ''this is excellent news for our team and we're happy to finally have him back'', and ya, I can see why some fans felt ''Wtf Gorges''.

Let's not forget the headline as well ''No celebrating in Habs' dressing room over Subban signing'' on TSN.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414754

Public opinion of PK was shifting.
Just look at you, you think he was selfish and would have traded him.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Kriss, maybe you can enlighten us as to why Markov, Subban and the rest of the D tried to rely on the stretch pass, the chip out and the hard around the boards approach to get the puck out of the zone instead of short passes?

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Kriss, maybe you can enlighten us as to why Markov, Subban and the rest of the D tried to rely on the stretch pass, the chip out and the hard around the boards approach to get the puck out of the zone instead of short passes?

What does this have anything to do with comparing PMDs to Defensive Dman?

You responded to a poster that said he felt defense was a lot more aimed towards PMDs nowadays. You said he was wrong and anybody can learn how to do a stretch pass.
I said if it was that easy then every player would be able to move the puck up. That is not the case.

No idea why you are mentioning our specific system when the guy was talking about in general.

Last edited:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Doesn't matter. He proved he was not captain material and not the character material he was hyped to be. Wouldn't surprise me if Bergevin's been trying to unload him since then and just waited until Beaulieu/Tinordi were far enough along in their development.

it proves nothing. Just like his comments about PK proves nothing either... pretty sure Gorges tried in his own way to help PK, other D or any other teammate anyway.

reading too much in a single comment, or two.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
The most encouraging part of the move was that the brass saw the series against the Rangers and didn't sit there thinking.. WE NEED TO IMPROVE OUR SHOT BLOCKING.. they realized, our transition game is getting stuffed. So they went to market got a RHD that can move the puck well.. brought Emelin back to his natural side and opened up the spot for Beaulieu to play full time.

This. :handclap:

It's gonna be a good season next year. As much as I was disappointed with MB last summer, I think he really did good this week. Vrbata would have been icing on the cake (since he was rumored to accept to come here for less money) but ultimately, we'll be fine.

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Gorges will be bought out after a season in Buffalo , he sure will help with the mcdavid tank though .

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
I'm pretty sure Gorges was traded for other reasons than cap space and LD/RD harmony. As some have said, I think he was taking a lot of space in the room and part of the team was annoyed that a 4th/5th D was bossing them around. I realize that this is just speculation, but the urgency of the trade tells me there was more to it than just what was brought up. There's no way he would've been traded if he was that great unanimously acclaimed leader that some journalists try to sell.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I'm pretty sure Gorges was traded for other reasons than cap space and LD/RD harmony. As some have said, I think he was taking a lot of space in the room and part of the team was annoyed that a 4th/5th D was bossing them around. I realize that this is just speculation, but the urgency of the trade tells me there was more to it than just what was brought up. There's no way he would've been traded if he was that great unanimously acclaimed leader that some journalists try to sell.

I think, frankly, that Josh's game was just too one dimensional. Hard worker, big heart, team guy. But hardly any puck skills.

I guess MB wants his Dmen to be more multi-dimensional.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

possible, we see it with coaches and al', sometimes message doesnt go trough anymore.

HeShootsHeScores

Mar 17, 2009

I too have the feeling, sadly, that Gorges was not as big of a leader he would've like to. Gorges is "so 2010" a tween would say. I guess the others players just wouldn' care what he had to say, and were kind of annoyed and off the wagon when he was playing the coach's parrot. I don't have a clue though obviously.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
I think, frankly, that Josh's game was just too one dimensional. Hard worker, big heart, team guy. But hardly any puck skills.

I guess MB wants his Dmen to be more multi-dimensional.
I agree, but the urgency to offer him for trade probably means the team decided it was best to move him for the future of the room. He was overpaid, but not by too much, and was a serviceable D. He was by no means untouchable, but to make him available for trade (eventually for the best offer, a late 2nd) means they decided he had to go, now.

Unless they really wanted Franson, and then panicked when the deal was leaked. Unlikely.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I was a homer until the end but I'm glad we move on without Gorges. He's a warrior but not what we needed if we look forward.

He will be a perfect fit for Buffalo unless he lose his motivation ala Kirk Muller.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
HABS, AVS GOOD PARTNERS?
Sometimes you have teams that start to become regular trading partners, usually teams in different conferences. Take Anaheim and Toronto, for example. They’ve done a number of deals over the past several years.

Do Montreal and Colorado have the potential to become good partners? They made Monday’s trade in which Daniel Briere and P.A. Parenteau swapped teams. Then a source told ESPN.com that on Tuesday there was talk between both clubs about defenseman Josh Gorges. By then the Avs had already zeroed in on blueliner Brad Stuart from San Jose, so they passed, and Montreal sent Gorges to Buffalo.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/31845/rumblings-west-gets-even-tougher

Still strange to me that Gorges was not traded to Colorado. Good trading partners and they needed solid vets on D.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I agree, but the urgency to offer him for trade probably means the team decided it was best to move him for the future of the room. He was overpaid, but not by too much, and was a serviceable D. He was by no means untouchable, but to make him available for trade (eventually for the best offer, a late 2nd) means they decided he had to go, now.

Unless they really wanted Franson, and then panicked when the deal was leaked. Unlikely.

I think he looked better on the poor teams we iced. His skill set is much more reactive than proactive.

As the team became better, he looked more out of place.

Good luck to him though. A real warrior.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

I really doubt that and I hate this kind of basless speculation. People here didn't think Gorges was a great leader purely because he didn't put up good offensive numbers.

The fact that all the coaches, management and players in his tenure here talked for years about what a phenomenal leader he was speaks volumes.

I also think players care a lot less than posters on HF about what role the player has on the ice. How do you think the Ducks felt about a 3rd/4th liner in Koivu "bossing them around"?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Gorges, with his limited talent, seemed to be a little too much of a leader...and couldn't back it up on the ice...but the bottom line is his contract got him traded...he was not ever worth 3.9M ever...

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
I really doubt that and I hate this kind of basless speculation. People here didn't think Gorges was a great leader purely because he didn't put up good offensive numbers.

The fact that all the coaches, management and players in his tenure here talked for years about what a phenomenal leader he was speaks volumes.

Yes, this is speculation. We all know he was a leader, and one of the most vocal ones. I'm sure quite a few players really liked him and looked up to him, and that he must be very appreciated by his coaches. But when you have a young core, his type of leadership, after a couple of years, may wear off and annoy people. It also may prevent young leaders to step up as leaders themselves.

What was the hurry to get rid of him? The Habs tried hard to retain Gionta, even though everyone knows he's just a 3rd liner at this point. Knowing they probably wouldn't be able to make him a competitive offer for what he brings on the ice and lose him, they nonetheless also went out of their way to trade the player who was seen as the future captain by many observers. Why?

I also think players care a lot less than posters on HF about what role the player has on the ice. How do you think the Ducks felt about a 3rd/4th liner in Koivu "bossing them around"?
I'm pretty sure Koivu never was a vocal leader.

LastRide

Feb 18, 2008
Man I'm pissed, friggin Gorges. Cody Franson would have been a nice pick up for us.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007

Well, because it worked. The team that beat the Habs did the exact same thing

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Defenceman like Gorges are doomed to disappear. It's not gonna happen tomorrow, but teams are using more and more guys that can skate and pass to get the puck out of their zone, join the rush and chip in offensively. If a D can't do that then he better be mean as a pitbull (not the case with Gorges).

It's the same thing with forwards, more and more coaches demand that forwards be responsible. That's why guy like Toews or Kopitar are arguably the best players in the World and a guy like Ovechkin...well is a good skate marketing tool.

"200 feet players" does also refer to the D. The game is played from one crease to the other.

Last edited:

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Man I'm pissed, friggin Gorges. Cody Franson would have been a nice pick up for us.

Me too. But don't worry I'm sure we can sign Franky Boo and trade him to the Leafs for Franson and a 1st round pick....the way the Leafs are managed, everything is possible!

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK

I really don't think this is the case; it appeared that Gorges had plenty of respect from around the room, especially as an example of what hard work can do for you irrespective of talent level.

IMO it was purely a hockey decision - addition by subtraction, one that nobody should take lightly. Whatever people think of his limitations, he wasn't a 4th/5th D in terms of responsibility.

However Weaver coming in was the end of Gorges, it showed that someone of Gorges skill-set shouldn't play such big minutes and we needed help getting out of the zone, and creating from the point.

Gorges (along with Murray & Boullion) was sacrificed so we could be much more balanced, and move the puck going forward.

The biggest thing is Emelin going back to the left, he's going to be so much better on his natural side. Some players can handle switching sides but he was obviously uncomfortable, especially when anybody would go wide on him and force him to pivot.

Gilbert will help us not get hemmed in so much, he's a right sided PMD with mobility.

And of course it opens up spots for the kids to get regular minutes throughout the season. Only so long you can hold them down with the Bulldogs.

MB is actively addressing the issues that concerned many of us and it took courage to make those calls.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hey, no Habs fans could ever bad mouth Josh Gorges!! He just stopped us from getting Cody Franson, brought us a 2nd round pick and insulted the Leafs by turning down Shanahan 3 times.

Gorges's character helped him to NHL and big payday. It certainly wasn't his skills that achieved these feats. But he had a lot of hard mileage on his body, his play was tailing off he had a big contract of 4 more years. It was common sense to make this move.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Yes, this is speculation. We all know he was a leader, and one of the most vocal ones. I'm sure quite a few players really liked him and looked up to him, and that he must be very appreciated by his coaches. But when you have a young core, his type of leadership, after a couple of years, may wear off and annoy people. It also may prevent young leaders to step up as leaders themselves.

What was the hurry to get rid of him? The Habs tried hard to retain Gionta, even though everyone knows he's just a 3rd liner at this point. Knowing they probably wouldn't be able to make him a competitive offer for what he brings on the ice and lose him, they nonetheless also went out of their way to trade the player who was seen as the future captain by many observers. Why?

I'm pretty sure Koivu never was a vocal leader.

Like Bergevin said, they wanted people on their correct sides, they wanted to free up cap space to make other signings and they wanted guys like Beaulieu and Tinordi to have a chance to break into the lineup.

You don't have to come up with grand conspiracy theories about why they traded Gorges when the GM has come out and given several reasons why they decided to trade him.

Halifaxhab*

Like Bergevin said, they wanted people on their correct sides, they wanted to free up cap space to make other signings and they wanted guys like Beaulieu and Tinordi to have a chance to break into the lineup.

You don't have to come up with grand conspiracy theories about why they traded Gorges when the GM has come out and given several reasons why they decided to trade him.

Wait. We got bigger, younger, less expensive cap wise, more talented (beaulieu, tinordi) and got a good pick back in return.

Nope, definately a giant conspiracy makes more sense.....nothing you can say will sway us. NEVER!:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad