Confirmed with Link: [MTL/BUF] Beaulieu to BUF for 3rd (Part II)

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The difference between generations. The older generations were raised if you want something you have to go get it yourself. Millennials think it should be given to them and if not you must help them get it.

Those vets are just over 30. They are millennial kids. They are not x. But even x are spoiled brat to be honest. Only Markov would count as real x kid.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
At some point, the Habs need to figure out how to handle players like this. They can't just continue moving them and hoping for a team full of saints.

I'm sure there are a ton of players in the nhl who are both successful on-ice and party hard off the ice. It just seems like this is a repeated problem for the Canadiens. At one point, they're going to have to solve it instead of hoping to find 23 choirboys.

No need for them to be choirboys, but there is an extent as to what you let young guys do off the ice. What was Kassian doing with two chicks at 6 AM ? Do you honestly think they were only 'drinking' ? Don't kid yourself. I know is speculation and I might come across some guidelines saying this, but kids these days don't only drink sometimes and to be partying with chicks at 6 AM Kassian must've been doing something special. And if you let those kids rampant they will inevitably bring others with them and it can quickly become a fiasco.

As a side note, my brother is just back out of rehab for cocaine addiction. I kind of know how destructive that **** can be. Guy had to lose almost everything before finally doing the right thing to do. But for most of the things he lost, it's too late now.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Trust me on this, it's not just the off-the-ice stuff...

The knock against Beaulieu's on-ice performance is inconsistency. He's terrific for a stretch, and then seems lost in a fog. That to me is a question of maturity and mentoring. Raw talent is called "Raw" for a reason -- it takes proper development, coaching and leadership to refine it into a professional habit. That's what excellence is: A habit. Habits must be taught.

Granted, I'm talking generalities without knowing if the kid was unlikeable, unteachable, or had a more serious issue. But in most cases, anyone who can become an NHL player is capable of optimizing whatever talent they have.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The funny thing is people are complaining that the veterans don't talk to the young players. I can't believe fans actually think they have not talked to them. I am pretty sure plenty of the Hab players have told Beaulieu and Galchenyuk to wake up and focus on team over partying and when they fail to listen it's hit the road time. I would prefer keeping Galchenyuk maybe seeing Beaulieu being traded will change him. He also had to deal with injury issue and that time off may had increased his fun time with Beaulieu. Now he can focus on hockey and maybe another youngster like Drouin who seems dedicated to hockey can help guide him by showing how it's done.

or that the organisation hasn't tried to help them. There comes a point in life, and this applies to all spheres and jobs, where a person needs to take matters into his own hands, become accountable, or eventually a boss will have to make a tough decision.

You can only blame others for so long....

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
What players do off the ice (ie. partying) doesn't matter if it doesn't impact their performance on the ice.

Guys like DSP and Beaulieu were traded because they didn't progress on the ice, they were 4th line plugs or third pairing D and just weren't worth keeping by the end of their time here.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Was there this much talk when we traded smith pelly? Geez i cant believe some people going on and on about a guy thatll be lucky to be a bottom pairing defenceman on buffalo. If they put him in top 4, theyre desperate.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Was there this much talk when we traded smith pelly? Geez i cant believe some people going on and on about a guy thatll be lucky to be a bottom pairing defenceman on buffalo. If they put him in top 4, theyre desperate.

Smith-Pelley was a bottom-six player who we acquired and then traded shortly afterwards. Beaulieu was a 1st-round pick with loads of talent who teased us with real top-pair potential.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Actually there was because Smith Pelly went on that goal streak in Jersey. I think John LeClair comparisons were being made. That was a bad trade though as Pelly was better than Mi Toe but in the end does it really matter we picked up better players off of waivers like Byron.

habaholic

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The knock against Beaulieu's on-ice performance is inconsistency. He's terrific for a stretch, and then seems lost in a fog. That to me is a question of maturity and mentoring. Raw talent is called "Raw" for a reason -- it takes proper development, coaching and leadership to refine it into a professional habit. That's what excellence is: A habit. Habits must be taught.

Granted, I'm talking generalities without knowing if the kid was unlikeable, unteachable, or had a more serious issue. But in most cases, anyone who can become an NHL player is capable of optimizing whatever talent they have.

Therein lies the real question! How long do you wait ? I think they waited long enough, but I'm not the most patient person.

As for being terrific for stretches...I respectfully disagree, I've never really seen him be "terrific", he's had good moments for sure, but not enough. Finally from a pure talent stand point, I think his lack of a shot hurts his stock, especially in regards to being a 1st unit PP guy, and if he isn't that, what is he?

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

DSP was not a board favorite because many people bemoaned losing Sekac to acquire him.

I liked DSP but accepted the trade as inevitable since the Habs weren't going to qualify him.

The Habs got better value for Beaulieu - #68 is an exciting pick. The circumstances are somewhat similar - the Habs don't want to give Beaulieu the raise it will take to get him signed.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Is it a matter of babysitting or mentoring? Nilan will likely go off about players being soft, but Gainey took him under his wing. I'm sure Robinson mentored some D, and Carbonneau some players as well.

It's not all or nothing, but when it happens consistently the organization has to question if they could be doing more. It's just smart business. However there is no doubt that some people can't be helped - not saying Nate is one.

The DSP trade is still appalling because Matteau would make the All-Plug Team in the National Plug League. It's the desperation level of stealing your neighbour's empties from the blue bin. Let them deal with their garbage.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
is Beaulieu a talent like Kane?

Btw Boston did the same with Seguin.

Flyers did the same thing with Richards/Carter.

Beaulieu is not an established player, yet, if he's a problem to the team, has to go. Most reports says him and Galchenyuk we're always partying together, so you get rid of the lesser talent and try to work with Chucky to improve things and his commitment to the game

Have to say, if getting rid of Beaulieu means Chucky is staying then I am good to go with it,

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
The difference between generations. The older generations were raised if you want something you have to go get it yourself. Millennials think it should be given to them and if not you must help them get it.

south-park-s07e10c03-elderly-meeting-16x9.jpg
tell those damn kids to stop skateboarding on the sidewalks

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Even if you didn't like him, I wouldn't have traded him ahead of the ED. I don't like protecting Benn over Beaulieu just because I don't see why Vegas takes Benn when there are so many better d men and assets available. But either way, leave Beaulieu exposed, let him go for free and then at least you still have Hudon.

This way you lose Beaulieu and Hudon (likely) and all you get back is a 3rd. Doesn't make sense.

You also paint yourself into a corner on the trade market, where teams know you need 1-2 NHL d men, preferably on the younger side who can play right now (see: Beaulieu). They are in a position of weakness now.

Hope I'm proven wrong, but I really hate the way this was handled. Terrible player dev, terrible asset management, terrible ED strategy.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
The off ice stuff must be worse that we know. It's the only reason a team would give away a young talented defenseman for almost nothing.

28 points with limited PP time... not bad for a 23 year old. There has to be something more to it, much more.
Actually a pace of 32 points.
Still 53rd in the league in ppg among d-men.

What is more interesting is 1G-11A in 19GP when Markov was injured: pace of 52 points.
That would be 7th in the league in ppg.

Not saying he would do it over 82 games but he could improve in the next two or three years.
There are multiple example of d-men who started to peak after 25.
At 23 years old, Josi had 11, 13 and 27 points. Chara is another example.

Let's see how Beaulieu does on the first PP with Risto, Eichel + two of Reinhart/ROR/Kane/Okposo.

Do I expect 50 points: of course not but 40 points yes.

I don't think so, really. Kid was really partying hard all the time. It's just a matter of him realizing he had to change his life a bit. And from his comments made yesterday, I don't think he sees it that way.

I don't think it's THAT bad. He's just a headcase who needs to take account for his actions. It's always been that way with him. Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, TBH. Jacques Beaulieu wasn't exactly seen as a sweet angel when he coached in the Q.
I give you two examples of players partying:
Chelios and Ribeiro.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Even if you didn't like him, I wouldn't have traded him ahead of the ED. I don't like protecting Benn over Beaulieu just because I don't see why Vegas takes Benn when there are so many better d men and assets available. But either way, leave Beaulieu exposed, let him go for free and then at least you still have Hudon.

This way you lose Beaulieu and Hudon (likely) and all you get back is a 3rd. Doesn't make sense.

You also paint yourself into a corner on the trade market, where teams know you need 1-2 NHL d men, preferably on the younger side who can play right now (see: Beaulieu). They are in a position of weakness now.

Hope I'm proven wrong, but I really hate the way this was handled. Terrible player dev, terrible asset management, terrible ED strategy.
We are so clueless about the management.

Let's see: they traded Andrighetto because he was behind Lehkonen in the top-6 and they wanted to keep Byron and Shaw.
Seems simple to me.
Ghetto is not a third liner. Either he is top-6 or he is not playing.
There you go: Martinssen for Andrighetto.
At least Martinssen brings you something you need.

They may have offered Emelin, Beaulieu and Benn on the trade market and the only thing they were offered was a 3rd for Beaulieu.
Everybody was trying to protect their d-men (NYI even protected 5 of them) so there was no interest.

This is not a proof but it is a perfectly possible.

If they were offered a 2nd or a 3rd for Emelin of Benn they may have kept Beaulieu.
But if nobody wanted an extra d-men because they already needed to protest their own all of this makes perfect sense.

So if your choice is between loosing either Emelin or Benn for nothing or getting a 3rd pick what do you do?
Emelin will most likely not be picked at 4.1M for 10 points.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Can't wait for the day, the Church mormon patches gets dealt.
Are you talking about the player with 6 seasons with a pace of 30+ goals (including one of 39 goals, one of 37 goals and one of 35 goals) and another season of a pace of 28 goals.

We are talking about consecutive seasons between 22 and 28 years old.
The same player who is 4th in goals since 2011-12 in the league (he should pass Pavelski next season and be in 3rd - already ahead of him in gpg and would be 5 goals ahead of him if they had played the same number of game).
Without a hairline fracture, he would probably have broke the 40 goals this season...

So you want the third best scorer of the last 7 year to be dealt.

I don't care if he is Mormon, Evangelical, Muslim, Orthodox, Atheist or anything else I want to keep him.

BTW since 1986, there is one player with more goals: Plekanec with 226 goals in 921 games while Patches has 209 goals in 562 games. So there is a big chance that he will be ahead of Plekanec next year in 359 games less.

Trade your best scorer for the last 7 years:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad