Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Brendan Gallagher signs extension (6 years, $6.5M AAV)

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Decent deal. Was hoping for 6M but obviously he didn't get the 7 to 7.5 like some fans were saying he would... Only concern is that all these LT contracts are forcing the Habs to contention and I still firmly believe we're not anywhere close to winning. Seems like the Habs are content with stuck in no man's land or just barely making the playoffs to cash in those profits. But regardless decent deal with gally. Obv we had to extend him.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Hmm: so there is enough money for him? Makes sense it is the end of Tatar given Anderson.

this deal will set the tone for a few players including Hoffman: does Hoffman reasonably think that’s he better? How costly is the one year time difference?
Definitely enough money for him. They’ll move on from Tatar, weal and I suspect maybe Armia or Byron. They have enough picks to apply sweeteners if necessary and they’ll rely on young guys like poehling and Evans to step up

Reactions: violaswallet

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Poor Vancouver can’t get him for a cap dump and a pick anymore.

Reactions: Cobflib

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I love Gallagher as a player but I'd be shocked if his body isn't completely broken down by year 5 and possibly even year 4 of that contract. AAV is fine.

This is my thoughts, too. Depending in money, he might be a LTIR to a internal cap team in those years like Callahan.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Exactly what I said. Clickbait crap news from TO media because TO have done nothing interesting this offseason.

I had said 5 x 6.5, it's 6 years.

Still a good deal.

FreeMcdavid

Dec 30, 2019
Congrats to Gallagher! great kid! he got paid!!

Having said that, with his stlye of play and his body size, this contract will not age well. You can already see signs of Brendan breaking down physically.

He has been playing this style of game since his days with teh Vancouver Giants.

He wont change though, thats just the way he is and what has made him succsessfull and rich!

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Definitely enough money for him. They’ll move on from Tatar, weal and I suspect maybe Armia or Byron. They have enough picks to apply sweeteners if necessary and they’ll rely on young guys like poehling and Evans to step up
I guess say a 5-6M deal won’t kill Montreal but having Drouin, Anderson, and Gallagher all over 5M will make it tough When the young guys are up for UFA if Danault get a lot term?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Trade off between cap hit and term always........that's a bit much IMO for a guy his age and style/size.......could start to look ugly by year's 5 & 6. But then again Habs are trying to win now before their aging core fades away so those last few years might not matter at that point. I don't love it or hate it.....its just ok contract IMO. Best part of the deal no trades restrictions listed on cap friendly.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
The drama from the Montreal media was all for nothing?

iu

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Thats the right deal. Probably about what he would get on the market. Really dont know why they signed Toffoli though

Depth.

Danault probably gets Gallagher and this way Suzuki and Kotkaniemi get an experienced winger at least on the right side, unless Anderson can play left. I've never looked into it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad