Speculation: MTL (Bergevin) looking for more Armia/Mason type deals

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
What the **** is this lol

Apparently there is a sizeable portion of the trade board that remembers the Mason/Armia trade as Montreal paying a premium to take on a cap dump rather than how an actual cap deal works.

We're not trading our only top 6 RH forward + our blue chip RH prospect for a worse prospect, a pick, and two huge cap dumps.

We're also not trading our emerging top 4 RHD on an ELC for a cap dump.

Reactions: Steeler23

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Neither of those players (Dermott and Marleau) are really available. It would take an amazing young RHD to get us interested.

Cale Fleury is a pretty good 20 y old RHD prospect. To be honest, I think it is not impossible he becomes better than Sandin given his size/grit advantage.

The idea is to remove that Marleau contract next year.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Cale Fleury is a pretty good 20 y old RHD prospect. To be honest, I think it is not impossible he becomes better than Sandin given his size/grit advantage.

The idea is to remove that Marleau contract next year.

It definitely is the idea for us but I don't think that deal will help Toronto next year or moving forward either. We'd likely have to investigate a different option if that is the ask.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Open to suggestions, it's just to start the conversation off.

Habs aren't gonna hel the Leafs get out of their bad cap situation. You want Marleau out? We can help, But we'll help if

SANDIN
LILJEGREN
DERMOOT
and maybe BRACCO

is included. Otherwhise we'll let the Leafs have to deal with Marleau's cap hit, Having to sing Marner and Matthews AND having to find a good d-man to replace Gardiner in their defense enxt year!

Something like

Marleau + Sandin / Liljegren / Dermott vs Tyzcka + 4th

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Habs aren't gonna hel the Leafs get out of their bad cap situation. You want Marleau out? We can help, But we'll help if

SANDIN
LILJEGREN
DERMOOT
and maybe BRACCO

is included. Otherwhise we'll let the Leafs have to deal with Marleau's cap hit, Having to sing Marner and Matthews AND having to find a good d-man to replace Gardiner in their defense enxt year!

Something like

Marleau + Sandin / Liljegren / Dermott vs Tyzcka + 4th

Yeah, pretty stupid idea.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Open to suggestions, it's just to start the conversation off.

Since the Leafs would potentially be in a bind if I were MB I'd call Dubas and say sure I'd take Marleau off your hands, spend to buy him out and take his full cap hit so you can maybe re-sign him. I know you won't like the cost Kyle and I highly doubt you'll accept it but I'd do it for your 2019/2020 first and your 2020/2021 2nd for a 2019/2020 5th and someone like McCarron to make it look more legit. :)

Dubas would rightly refuse that steep offer but if I were MB I'd tell Dubas I'll leave the offer on the table until the last minute just in case he can't find another team to possibly bail him out if he really needed the cap space. It's business and if you have a chance to take advantage of another team to better your own team why not try it right?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Since the Leafs would potentially be in a bind if I were MB I'd call Dubas and say sure I'd take Marleau off your hands, spend to buy him out and take his full cap hit so you can maybe re-sign him. I know you won't like the cost Kyle and I highly doubt you'll accept it but I'd do it for your 2019/2020 first and your 2020/2021 2nd for a 2019/2020 5th and someone like McCarron to make it look more legit. :)

Dubas would rightly refuse that steep offer but if I were MB I'd tell Dubas I'll leave the offer on the table until the last minute just in case he can't find another team to possibly bail him out if he really needed the cap space. It's business and if you have a chance to take advantage of another team to better your own team why not try it right?

Not as outrageous as some offers on here but still would definitely turn it down. Leafs can make cap next year likely just by unloading Connor Brown which shouldn't be too hard....might have to be as simple as that at the end of the day.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Yeah, pretty stupid idea.

That cap hit is also stupid...

We aren't going to help division rival fixing their cap problems in order for them to be able to keep all their young star players if we have no serious incentive to do so.

A late 1st or a late 2nd isn't going to cut it.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
That cap hit is also stupid...

We aren't going to help division rival fixing their cap problems in order for them to be able to keep all their young star players if we have no serious incentive to do so.

A late 1st or a late 2nd isn't going to cut it.

I would take Marleau with a 1st. But I agree that the Leafs could do better by trading him to a non-rival.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Not as outrageous as some offers on here but still would definitely turn it down. Leafs can make cap next year likely just by unloading Connor Brown which shouldn't be too hard....might have to be as simple as that at the end of the day.

As expected. Just trying to take advantage of a team who may be desperate for cap space. I can help them out while also helping myself out at the same time so why not try. How much is 3.8m in real buy out dollars and taking on a 6.25m cap hit worth value wise. That I'm not sure but seems more than only a 2nd round pick.

Mike Dukarm

Aug 3, 2018
Montreal
Somehow i dont have the right definition of Cap Dump... Habs wont give Fleury or Juulsen ou Mete for a cap Dump... Thats what Habs want, young player with potentiel if they get a cap dump...

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I would take Marleau with a 1st. But I agree that the Leafs could do better by trading him to a non-rival.

That 1st is likely goign to be between 25-31.

Would you REALLY help the Leafs keep Mathews, Marner and find a solution to their D problem by offloading them of that horrible contract?

Answer is no and as long as Leafs fans aren't seeing the obvious here where they will HAVE to trade some of their young talents in order to get rid of that contract, they'll be stuck with it!

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As expected. Just trying to take advantage of a team who may be desperate for cap space. I can help them out while also helping myself out at the same time so why not try. How much is 3.8m in real buy out dollars and taking on a 6.25m cap hit worth value wise. That I'm not sure but seems more than only a 2nd round pick.

Absolutely, I think it could cost a prospect as well, having a hard time thinking of one that has good value and the Leafs can afford to part with. Probably a bit complicated to put together a trade like this

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Absolutely, I think it could cost a prospect as well, having a hard time thinking of one that has good value and the Leafs can afford to part with. Probably a bit complicated to put together a trade like this

Leafs have no prospects outside of Sandin, Liljegren and to a certain extent Bracco that could have a future in the Habs organisation.

In other words, we do not want your 4th liner/ potential #7 d-man. We want someting that is going to have a good production at the NHL levl JUST LIKE Armia.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I think the best move to make would be:

Brady Skjei.

The reason for it would be he either sees minutes with Petry or Weber. Depending on Kulak, as he has been solid with Weber. I think Skjei can regain his game with more offensive role with either solid RHD.

He’s still young so his 5yrs could be worth the gamble and maybe the Habs could get something decent back along with Skjei to make it worth while at the same time.

Habs would send back cheap NHL ready players like Hudon / Ouellet / Schlemko.

I like the idea of taking a risk and hoping Skjei rebounds could solve a spot for the Habs but could also bomb though.

Kulak Weber
Skjei Petry
Reilly Juulsen

The Rangers have an extra 2nd rounder. Maybe something here?

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Given the ideas thrown around in this thread, I personally would want the team to use the cap money by playing the role of broker to one of the cap strapped contenders in a 3 way deal for a player actually desired rather than a cap dump. Example

Team A gets a 2nd rd from Montreal
Montreal gets Team B's 1st and 2nd
Team B gets player from Team A at 50% retained by Montreal

No Cap dumps and no prospects moved

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
Seems like most in here are forgetting what the 4th item in the Armia/Mason deal was: a middling prospect. The whole point of these deals is to take on cap space and to give up nothing of value.

1) WPG->MTL - Bad contract: Mason
2) WPG->MTL - Unperforming player: Armia
3) WPG->MTL - Contingency picks: 4th, 7th
4) MTL->WPG - Inconsequential AHL player: Bourque

Some potential players to build another deal around: Methot, Greene, Stone [Cgy], Soderberg, MacDonald [Phi]...?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Take Booby Ryan, he could even contribute as a top 6 RW and Ottawa would probably part with someone like Lajoie to get rid of him

euhchepas

Jan 16, 2015
Take Booby Ryan, he could even contribute as a top 6 RW and Ottawa would probably part with someone like Lajoie to get rid of him
4 more years at 7.25M is too much for the habs and Lajoie is not good enough for us to consider taking Ryan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad