Speculation: MTL (Bergevin) looking for more Armia/Mason type deals

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Like I said above, we done.
Just correcting your incompleteness.

Pursuant to thread title, this is a $ trade, not a hockey trade.
Smith is reduced, Rangers eat 1m per 3x term
Above someone talked about buying out Smith, at full pop
reduced once, Smith can be retained 1x and easily moved if nec, avoiding buyout
all that has value

Juulsen adjusted to reflect 2 facials, status uncertain, if included

You were offered fair value in totality of current situation, all factors

and someone wanting insufficient add for Skjei inclusion or some crazy nonsense like Chytil is WAY more homer than anything you allege.

Are you familiar with the term quit while you're ahead?

Are you really doubling down on this idiotic idea?

This is truly embarrassing.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Wonder what Montreal would want in exchange for grabbing Marleau off Toronto and buying him out?

TOR - Marleau + 2nd for MTL 5th-7th?

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Wonder what Montreal would want in exchange for grabbing Marleau off Toronto and buying him out?

Why would we waste our cap space on Marleau when we need help on defense?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014

He’s on a +35 contract. There is no savings to buying him out. I imagine it would take more than exchange of 2nd and 5th round picks for Montreal to pick up that tab. Especially between hated division rivals

Last edited:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
We'll see how things shake down.....at this moment the only contract the Jets have I would call negative value and might want to dump is Kulikov. He will have one year on his deal this summer, he might need to be dumped. He's been decent #5 D when healthy.....but further injuries have hurt his availability and play.

PriceIsGod

Carey Please :)
Jul 15, 2012
You know...
Like I said above, we done.
Just correcting your incompleteness.

Pursuant to thread title, this is a $ trade, not a hockey trade.
Smith is reduced, Rangers eat 1m per 3x term
Above someone talked about buying out Smith, at full pop
reduced once, Smith can be retained 1x and easily moved if nec, avoiding buyout
all that has value

Juulsen adjusted to reflect 2 facials, status uncertain, if included

You were offered fair value in totality of current situation, all factors

and someone wanting insufficient add for Skjei inclusion or some crazy nonsense like Chytil is WAY more homer than anything you allege.

You say you're done and honestly I don't know if that means with this thread or with that one specific user but I wanted to say something because this one line caught my eye. "Pursuant to thread title, this is a $ trade, not a hockey trade." This is something you stated in the post I quoted. However that line makes absolutely no sense to me. The title states (and I'm directly copy pasting so please don't tell me otherwise) "MTL (Bergevin) looking for more Armia/Mason type deals" I think one of the core concepts you're missing out on here is that the Armia/Mason deal was not a pure $ move. It was also a hockey trade. Let's break it down.. Armia, Mason, 7th in 2019, 4th in 2020 for Simon Bourque (A 6th round pick in 2015 who will likely amount to nothing special). The whole purpose of the deal is simple. the 4th/7th and Bourque we don't even really need to consider they're minor throw-ins to balance out the deal. Montreal acquires a cap dump in Steve Mason. This is the "$ trade" part of the trade. In exchange for helping the jets with a short term solution in solving their cap space we acquire Joel Armia a damn good power forward. This is the "hockey trade" part of deal.

So to quote one bernmeister, "Pursuant to thread title," I would go on to say
"MTL (Bergevin) looking for more Armia/Mason type deals"
NOT
"This is a $ trade, not a hockey trade"

I hope you understand the premise of the deal now. The premise is we take on a cap dump (a player who basically brings little to no value to your hockey team anymore but has a rather annoying salary/contract, essentially someone the team would like to get rid of.) in the Mason/Armia trade this would be Mason. But in exchange for taking on your cap dump and helping you out we want something of value. In the jets deal this is Armia.

Now lets look at your proposal:
Brendan Smith (1m retained)
Claesson
Tampa Bay's 2nd round pick in 2019 (conditional turns into a 1st if Tampa wins the cup)

FOR

Juulsen
MTL's 2nd in 2019

I think it's fair to say out of Smith and Claesson... Smith is suppose to be the cap dump. This means you no longer want him and he's essentially valueless/brings negative value in this trade. That's the "$ part" of this trade. We then look onto the hockey part of the trade:

Claesson and TB's 2nd (conditional) for Juulsen and MTL's 2nd

The condition on the pick is still low probability of happening I don't care which team you are it's simply a possibility. something that could happen but you don't really make the trade expecting it to. Even if it does happen it would be the last pick in the 1st round and MTL's 2nd is likely going to be an early/mid pick so we move what? 10-20 spots? Cool. Even greater odds we actually move down but I guess we'll ignore that.

Juulsen for Claesson. Lol. Lol. Lol. Keep in mind you owe us for taking Smith's contract now and the pick really doesn't serve you much justice (I'd call the pick swap a wash personally but if you want to believe that somehow that condition is a gold mine then whatever lol). I don't care what you think about the facial problems lol I'm telling you to the Montreal Canadiens Juulsen is worth more then Claesson. No discussion needed. If Bergevin had the choice to take either of the two he takes Juulsen.

You failed in providing any sort of value for us to want to take on Smith. Dude even if we flip him at half salary after you retain what does he acquire? a 3rd? then we still use one of our salary retention spots.

It was a bad proposal. We're not interested and we thank you for your time. We all make bad proposals it's okay to just accept it and move on.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Why would we waste our cap space on Marleau when we need help on defense?

Read on the OP. Kthx

He’s on a +35 contract. There is no savings to buying him out. I imagine it would take more than exchange of 2nd and 5th round picks for Montreal to pick up that tab. Especially between hated division rivals

Yeah, definitely a cost to doing business, if it's too much then gotta look at something else.

Reactions: Bag Headed Hab Fan

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Berg should be looking for a new job, not shuffling chairs on the titanic.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If Weber retires before:

Penalty per year – -------------NSH ------------- Penalty per year – MTL
2019-20 ---------------- $3.51MM -------------------------------- $918K
2020-21 ----------------- $4.1MM -------------------------------- $762K
2021-22 ------------------ $4.91MM ------------------------------- $543K
2022-23 ---------------- $6.14MM ------------------------------- $215K
2023-24 -----------------$8.19MM ------------------------------- None
2024-25 ---------------- $12.29MM --------------------------------- None
2025-26 --------------------- $24.57MM --------------------------------None

Habs are fine with Weber and his contract.;)

Are those recapture numbers accurate? The recapture chart I saw in the link below as the Habs completely off the hook for any recapture penalties after the 2019-20 season.

Weber for Subban could hurt Preds in long run

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Given the success they've had with Armia I can see them doing a couple more similar deals. Given their place in the standings I figure they'll make a couple depth pickups this season sometime.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

So the Habs would pay 3.8m in real dollars to buy out Marleau and take on his full 6.25m cap hit just to gain a 2nd while moving out a 5th-7th round pick and the Leaf potentially re-signing Marleau back again. Paying 3.8m dollars and taking on a 6.25m cap hit while only gaining a late 2nd round pick in the process wouldn't be incentive enough for me to do that to help the Leafs out of a bind. Pretty poor deal for the Habs IMO.

Reactions: Runner77

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
So the Habs would pay 3.8m in real dollars to buy out Marleau and take on his full 6.25m cap hit just to gain a 2nd while moving out a 5th-7th round pick and the Leaf potentially re-signing Marleau back again. Paying 3.8m dollars and taking on a 6.25m cap hit while only gaining a 2nd round pick in the process wouldn't be incentive enough for me to do that to help the Leafs out of a bind. Pretty poor deal for the Habs IMO.

Open to suggestions, it's just to start the conversation off.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Yes we would.

The contract more likely to move would be Sekera. Not sure what I’d package him with as he’s on LTIR and when healthy is a solid #4
Problem with him is we dont know how his most recent injury will affect his play. That's two big injuries in 2 years for him... If we knew he could go back to his old self, playing to the level he have been for the Oilers, I would give him a shot. Maybe he could make a decent pair with Weber.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad