Speculation: MTL (Bergevin) looking for more Armia/Mason type deals

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
With a the 5th highest cap space in the league, the Canadiens have plenty of room to take on contracts if it makes our team better.

Some insider info:

Rough translation: With $9.3M in space below the cap ceiling, Marc Bergevin is searching for deals similar to the one this summer with Joel Armia/Steve Mason. Which was picking up larger salaries as an incentive for deals.

Any team who's at the cap who needs room for any particular reason?

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
montreal is actually in a decent spot to make a WC playoff this year - while rebuilding..no reason to do this unless it's a large incentive --like contract + young player..and then habs will do the buyout thing

Reactions: Otto

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Zaitsev (Russian) and Gauthier (Quebecoise) for....

Alzner?

We would be in the market for cap dumps for this season and maybe next season. No point in asking about contracts that go beyond that.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Alzner?

We would be in the market for cap dumps for this season and maybe next season. No point in asking about contracts that go beyond that.

Not taking on the extra 2 years on Zaitsev. At one point Kotkaniemi, Domi, Lehkonen, Mete, Juulsen, Poehling, Suzuki will all need a raise and Zaitsev contract will be blocking us from keeping our core

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Not taking on the extra 2 years on Zaitsev. At one point Kotkaniemi, Domi, Lehkonen, Mete, Juulsen, Poehling, Suzuki will all need a raise and Zaitsev contract will be blocking us from keeping our core

My thought would be that he might look better in a more sheltered role and, once Juulsen is back, he would let us move Petry. Weber - Juulsen - Zaitsev would still be a solid right side. The key part of the deal though would be that Zaitsev rebounds enough to be picked up by Seattle, which we could never guarantee.

So, I agree that I'd rather just keep Alzner and compliance BO him when the next CBA rolls around. Also, Gauthier would hold zero value for us.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
My thought would be that he might look better in a more sheltered role and, once Juulsen is back, he would let us move Petry. Weber - Juulsen - Zaitsev would still be a solid right side. The key part of the deal though would be that Zaitsev rebounds enough to be picked up by Seattle, which we could never guarantee.

So, I agree that I'd rather just keep Alzner and compliance BO him when the next CBA rolls around. Also, Gauthier would hold zero value for us.

Then what about Brook and Fleury?
Zaitsev is signed for 6 more years...

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Zaitsev (Russian) and Gauthier (Quebecoise) for....

Isn't Zaitsev a RD? If so why would the Leafs want to move him with their right side D being the weakest position on their team? Also Zaitsev wouldn't play ahead of Weber or Petry on the right side and I'd rather have Juulsen play the right side on the 3rd pairing than a guy with 6 years and a 4.5m cap hit remaining. The Habs have no need for Zaitsev or Gauthier for that matter.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Brendan Smith, 2 additional seasons or 3 including this one.
4.35 m per ea.

Overpriced, getting back from AWOL outta shape last yr.
3rd pair lefty who plays RD
average or mediocre across the board except for solid toughness.

What would it cost to export him?

Can be simple deal just him or can be a package for Juulsen, presumably we add Skjei you add something else. Cap dumps an option to defray price from Rangers for $ balance, or we can consider you eating more of his $ as opposed to less.

Ideas?

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
Brendan Smith, 2 additional seasons or 3 including this one.
4.35 m per ea.

Overpriced, getting back from AWOL outta shape last yr.
3rd pair lefty who plays RD
average or mediocre across the board except for solid toughness.

What would it cost to export him?

Can be simple deal just him or can be a package for Juulsen, presumably we add Skjei you add something else. Cap dumps for $ balance.

Ideas?

I’m not sure I would deal Juulsen for Skjei 1v1 right now (Skjei has regressed consirably since his 39 pts season) while Juulsen is trending up unless that trade includes Alzner as well.

I would be with taking on Smith contract (and buying him out) for the right price. Skjei could be that price if we add a decent prospect ala Fleury or Olofsson otherwise I would rather pass.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Vachon23

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad