Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Antti Niemi re-signs with the Habs (1 year, $950K)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
what's the over/under on how many teams he plays for next year?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I guess they're not sold on Lindgren as their backup yet, considering he was pretty crappy in the AHL this year. Makes sense.

Eh, that was more the AHL's D/Coaching than it was Lindgren specifically. They fired the entire coaching staff down there this offseason.

I think it has more to do with the fact that Niemi wasn't going to be expensive and he was actually really good in Montreal (.929 sv%, albeit in limited minutes). Lindgren doesn't need waivers to start the year and both their salaries can be entirely buried in the minors.

Its cheap goaltending depth with no real risk.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I guess they're not sold on Lindgren as their backup yet, considering he was pretty crappy in the AHL this year. Makes sense.

Not at all true. He’s great when in the NHL. Everyone would be garbage on that Laval team last year.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
After he found his confidence his play was so good that I was sure that someone would sign him.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Lindgren needs to play in the NHL, this signing probably means that it will be involve in a trade.

Lol no it doesn't. Lindgren hasn't proven enough to be a good trade bait and there's no rush to move him. However, while people are saying Niemi is good, cheap insurance on Lindgren, I think it's more that Lindgren is gonna be good, cheap insurance on Niemi next year. Happy for Niemi for turning his career around and he definitely earned himself this contract but I have zero confidence in him being a reliable backup.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
how can people honestly say this is a no risk deal. he was absolutely putrid outside of Montreal last year and has shown he can be less than useless, yeah i get he is just a backup and can be replaced but if price goes down and they only have Niemi and Lindgren there is tons of risk in that.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
how can people honestly say this is a no risk deal. he was absolutely putrid outside of Montreal last year and has shown he can be less than useless, yeah i get he is just a backup and can be replaced but if price goes down and they only have Niemi and Lindgren there is tons of risk in that.

Just like almost every team with a clear starter is screwed if that said starter goes down for an extended period of time.

Reactions: Dale Best Goalie

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Because his contract can be completely buried, Both Niemi and Lindgren have played at high level in the NHL and how many teams can realistically survive their #1 goalie going down long term with a great back-up that has never been putrid in the NHL and has been a platoon/starter before?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad