Confirmed Signing with Link: [MTL] Antti Niemi re-signs with the Habs (1 year, $950K)

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Interested to see what this means. Lindgren should be their backup this year. No way Nemo signed to be in the AHL. Price isn't moving. I'm confused.

how can people honestly say this is a no risk deal. he was absolutely putrid outside of Montreal last year and has shown he can be less than useless, yeah i get he is just a backup and can be replaced but if price goes down and they only have Niemi and Lindgren there is tons of risk in that.
What team wouldn't be screwed depth wise if their starter goes down? Some teams might have a backup who has starter potential, but not really tangibly better than Montreal. I'd actually argue they've got better depth and insurance than almost every single team. Washington is the only team that jumps to mind as having equal or better depth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Interested to see what this means. Lindgren should be their backup this year. No way Nemo signed to be in the AHL. Price isn't moving. I'm confused.

Unless Lindgren severely outplays Niemi at training camp, he will go back to the ahl as he does not require waivers.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Bargain bin still trying to save his job by forcing a playoff push next season.
He should just bring up Lindgren and let him learn and grow into the role, but...... Bergevin

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
He was on the final year in 17-18 of a three year contract @ 4.5M he signed with Dallas
Was bought out and signed a new contract with the Penguins for 700K
Technically made 5.2 in total last year

Wrong.

He gets 2/3's of that $4.5M spread out over double what was left on the deal. So he got $1.5M (+$700k = $2.2M) for 17/18 and $1.5M (+$950k = $2.45M) for 18/19.

Back on topic, IMO this is a good signing for the Habs. Niemi played well for them and along with Lindgren, gives them an insurance policy if/(when more likely) Price gets hurt and/or plays like garbage again next season. Then if Niemi is no good, he can go on waivers and his salary is 100% buried if he ends up in the AHL.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
How the Habs turned Niemi around ...
you gotta love this ...
and it shows that DAL and PIT have no clue in the goalie department.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->