Eklund Rumor: Mtl "All In" on Yakupov

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

I've wanted Schultz off the team for 2 years, that is legitimate addition by subtraction. He needs to be babied on a 3rd pair. Yak just needs a puck carrier centre ala McDavid and potentially Draisaitl

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It starts and ends with Desharnais

Where the hell would Desharnais play in Edmonton, exactly? What use do we have for a small, overpaid, left shooting Center?

He would literally be our 4th line guy at LW or C. If we playing him at RW might as well keep Yak and the cap space.

What do we get out of trading Yak right now? no reason for us to trade him.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
I don't think Yakupov will be traded just yet, unless they get something of real value.

Edmonton will probably give Yakupov one last chance to produce. If by Christmas or trade deadline he's still not playing at the level the Oilers expect, he will get traded.

One last chance for Nail.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
LOL. Uh..........Yakupov is exactly the kind of quality "character" that the Habs love so well. The work ethic...the attitude....the leadership.....I really hope they get him on their roster. He'd fit right in.

:)

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
LOL. Uh..........Yakupov is exactly the kind of quality "character" that the Habs love so well. The work ethic...the attitude....the leadership.....I really hope they get him on their roster. He'd fit right in.

WTF are you talking about? Yak has a great attitude and work ethic. Neither have been the issue. I believe it is confidence mostly, from 3 years of being jerked around the lineup and getting mixed messages from coaches. I think if McLellan gives him a defined role this season he is salvagable as a 1st or 2nd line winger. Not superstar level, but he could be a solid 50+ point guy if given the chance...and he earns the chance.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

Spoken by someone who doesn't know who Nail Yakupov is.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

You clearly have not followed yakupov career if you think he's not a character guy and think hes one of those lazy russian, the guy never quit on the puck, he's a grinder with skill, too bad his skills havent translate to the NHL so far but i still have faith in the guy, realy liked him as a prospect, it would be nice if the habs could nailed him ( see what i did there?)

It wouldnt do much sense since we just accured radulov on the RW unless MT is looking to roll with 3 offensive line wich would be hard because we dont have the 3C for it!

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Something i would like to see,

Pacrioretty - Galcheyuk - radulov
Lehkonen/hudon - pleknakec - gallagher
Hudon/reway/lehkonen - Mccarron - yakupov

That would be 3 solid offensive line
Cant realy put shaw on the 4th line with his salary tho

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Lol...

Even If Yak tops out where he is, for a player who does that at 22, that still makes him worth at least a 2nd. And yes, he still has potential on top of that.

Even if he's just a support player, his numbers are fine considering he played on the 2nd worst offensive team in the conference.

What possible reason does Edmonton have to sell low or at below market value here?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Actually that's a very fair offer.

it is ? Value wise I think its way too rich and if we move emelin ( whom I'm not a huge fan of) who steps in to play defense ? We are going to have weber, markov, petry, beaulieu, pateryn, ???? likely being either barberio or a completely green sergachev. if one of those players gets hurt ( or father time catches up to markov) we end up with a back 8 with possibly two players I currently have not a whole lot of faith in.

And the oil fans have said repeatedly they are not sweet on emelin. as a hab you know what his warts are and can try to play to his strengths and mitigate them, i will take those over mystery warts ( of which there will likely be plenty) any day.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

No, but you can put him on the 2nd for now.
I'd like to see something like;

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Shaw-Plekanec-Radulov
Lehkonen/Carr-Danault-Yakupov

-Split Patches and Rads up to spread the scoring.
-I think McCarron needs one more year in the AHL.
-Lehkonen or Carr on the 3rd LW is the question

Just wait another year though. Let Therrien and Bergevin get fired first.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008

Shaw-Plekanec-Radulov

I would think they try him on a line with Galchenyuk given their past history and chemistry together.:dunno: If they acquired him.

Last edited:

frederixx

Dec 5, 2005
If they ever get him, it's for one of their prospects fighting for a place in the top 9.

Andrighetto, Lehkonen, Carr, Reway, etc...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I would think they try him on a line with Galchenyuk given their past history and chemistry together.:dunno: If they acquired him.

they were on the same team, but they didn't play alot together especially in the draft year because of Galchenyuk's injury. they might be chummy but I'm not sure that's chemistry.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I take Eklund with a grain of salt, but this Yak to MTL thing seems to be have going on all summer. I am not saying there will be a deal but I truly believe one side is trying to get something done. Is it MTL or EDM I don't know but I have to imagine that both teams have held discussions on Yak.

There is probably a sticking point whether its that one team doesn't want to do the trade or the offer isn't right so it has not happened but where there is smoke there is fire.

Again not saying a trade will happen but I believe that there has been discussions.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Lol...

Even If Yak tops out where he is, for a player who does that at 22, that still makes him worth at least a 2nd. And yes, he still has potential on top of that.

Even if he's just a support player, his numbers are fine considering he played on the 2nd worst offensive team in the conference.

What possible reason does Edmonton have to sell low or at below market value here?

"Where he is" is a guy who scores ~12 goals a year and is one of the worst defensive players in the NHL. Possibly the very worst. And he costs $2.5 million to get that.

If Yakupov "tops out where he is," he's a waiver clear, not a guy who gets traded for a second rounder.

To put this in perspective, Sam Gagner has outproduced Yakupov every season of their shared career, plays a more important position than Yakupov and is stuck signing 1 year deals for close to league minimum. Nobody would consider trading a 2nd rounder for Gagner at his actual salary, let alone 4 times his salary.

The only thing--the only thing--Yakupov has going for him is the possible perception of potential. If he was judged just on merit, he'd have already washed out.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I take Eklund with a grain of salt, but this Yak to MTL thing seems to be have going on all summer. I am not saying there will be a deal but I truly believe one side is trying to get something done. Is it MTL or EDM I don't know but I have to imagine that both teams have held discussions on Yak.

There is probably a sticking point whether its that one team doesn't want to do the trade or the offer isn't right so it has not happened but where there is smoke there is fire.

Again not saying a trade will happen but I believe that there has been discussions.

we traded away our best D man, of course there have been discussions. kicking the tires is free, the question is what will either team have to give up to get what they want. if yakupov were available for a 5th ( highly unlikely) i suspect there would be a lot of people interested in the no risk potentially high return trade. as it goes, 4th, to 3ed to 2 to 1st ( snicker snicker) the number of people interested drops.

Yakupov to montreal might have made sense when we couldnt score, but it looks like we are better off next year and he's not a player in the therrien mold no matter how hard he tries. no one questioned that pk tried, he still got run out on a rail.

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016

Shaw-Plekanec-Radulov

I think Patches is elite when he plays with other elite players. Remember him with Vanek for that short time? I think Chucky/Patches/Radulov has the potential to be a bonafide elite scoring line. As much as that's putting all your eggs in one basket, it would be nice to see a dominant line....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad