Eklund Rumor: Mtl "All In" on Yakupov

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The price is still more than a 2nd. Every team in the league would offer a 2nd. Hence to actually get him, you need to add.

Edit.. Just noticed the Steve Penney bit.... He was not drafted 1OA. He went in the eighth round.... About 35 years ago. His claim to fame is having backed the Habs to a Stanley Cup.

Settle down gramps.

The league doesnt CARE where you were drafted, its a meritocracy. Players who were drafted late can ( and do) become starts players drafted 1OA can be busts. If you want examples of the latter, you need not look far.

Steve penney was the cat's meow his first year, then he stank on ice and was run out of the league. Is it your opinion that BECAUSE he was drafted 1OA that yakupov can also suck out loud and continue to get chance after chance after chance ? For how long ? More than 4 years ?

He's not good enough to play top 6, not able to play bottom six and I can't remember a single player on the board for whom it is argued that they " deserve" more 1st line time despite showing ZERO that they deserve it.

at some point the shine of 1OA wears off, no ? again if you want to keep a guy who crowning acheivement was where he was drafted, be my guest. Is the natural progression 1OA to bust to reclamation or does it go 1OA to reclamation to bust ?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The league doesnt CARE where you were drafted, its a meritocracy. Players who were drafted late can ( and do) become starts players drafted 1OA can be busts. If you want examples of the latter, you need not look far.

Steve penney was the cat's meow his first year, then he stank on ice and was run out of the league. Is it your opinion that BECAUSE he was drafted 1OA that yakupov can also suck out loud and continue to get chance after chance after chance ? For how long ? More than 4 years ?

He's not good enough to play top 6, not able to play bottom six and I can't remember a single player on the board for whom it is argued that they " deserve" more 1st line time despite showing ZERO that they deserve it.

at some point the shine of 1OA wears off, no ? again if you want to keep a guy who crowning acheivement was where he was drafted, be my guest. Is the natural progression 1OA to bust to reclamation or does it go 1OA to reclamation to bust ?

Not sure what the obsession with Steve Penney is. There are plenty of better and contemporary examples of high draft picks that have fizzled out. Is Yakupov worth less than his initial draft standing of 1OA? Yes, obviously.

What's he worth now? Whatever a team will pay. I guarantee you that's more than Montreal's 2nd rounder.

Moose Head

Mar 12, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
If I was Bergivin I'd offer up a 2nd plus a good prospect, such as Hudon. I know hab fans would think its overpayment, but every now and then you have to swing wild for the fences.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Not sure what the obsession with Steve Penney is. There are plenty of better and contemporary examples of high draft picks that have fizzled out. Is Yakupov worth less than his initial draft standing of 1OA? Yes, obviously.

What's he worth now? Whatever a team will pay. I guarantee you that's more than Montreal's 2nd rounder.

Must be true if you guarantee it.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

because I'm a habs fan and if there is another player who was hyped as much as he was after a really short amount of success in the nhl and then washed out quickly. I'm not sure who that might be ? Tinordi perhaps ?

One good season ( especially if its your first) followed by three completely underperforming seasons sets one's trajectory pretty clearly.

and its soooooo generous of you to concede that its true that sucking out loud for three years straight with systemic problems ( hockey iq) means that he's no longer worth a 1OA. you want to add a liitle to hedge on that in case it aint true ?

His value is suppressed because he's viewed as a reclamation project by now, and the oilers are pot committed and know that if they bite there is NO WAY they get fair value, and if they don't they can put him in the pressbox at worst and let him walk at the end. This gives them the time to hope that he changes it around and if he doesnt the difference between letting him walk and what they could get is insignificant.

but perhaps we should throw him on a line with mcjesus so he can coat tail ride again put up points and then if the line gets broken up he can go back to not stirring the drink again. because he was 1OA after all, but like the wizard says, dont look behind the curtain ( the last three years).

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
If I was Bergivin I'd offer up a 2nd plus a good prospect, such as Hudon. I know hab fans would think its overpayment, but every now and then you have to swing wild for the fences.

yeah like the briere, semin, vanek swings that all worked out peachy for us.

Are there still people who look at Yakupov and are convinced of anything other than " what you see is what you get"?

The habs in the past may have been desperate for scoring ( it looks better on paper next year) but we shouldnt be that desperate to expect a leopard to change his spots.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
To get Yakupov, a team will have to give a decent value, not the HF consensus which loves to bash players while they're down.

A very smart GM will stick his neck out a bit to get Yak. He's a project with a high reward, one that is still young enough to be considered more of a prospect than a project. It's really not much risk either considering we're not asking for crazy value like what he was worth at the draft.

I can honestly say that if there was a Yak version of a right shot PP d-man I would want Chia to pay up a bit to take a chance on him. I don't see why a team that wants a good top six scorer wouldn't think the same towards Yak.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
To get Yakupov, a team will have to give a decent value, not the HF consensus which loves to bash players while they're down.

Case in point - Justin Schultz. A guy getting booed every time he touched the puck, who looked so scared of contact you were never surprised when he'd cough up the puck to avoid a hit. He was overpaid considerably and essentially an impending UFA based on what he needs to be qualified at. That guy returned a 3rd.

Yak has some holes to his game and it has caused fans to get frustrated, but he's never been booed that I recall. The kid works hard and has a good attitude, has some high end skill sets, and is still under RFA control for this year and 2 more. And people want to suggest he has the same value as Schultz?

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

A very smart GM will stick his neck out a bit to get Yak. He's a project with a high reward, one that is still young enough to be considered more of a prospect than a project. It's really not much risk either considering we're not asking for crazy value like what he was worth at the draft.

I can honestly say that if there was a Yak version of a right shot PP d-man I would want Chia to pay up a bit to take a chance on him. I don't see why a team that wants a good top six scorer wouldn't think the same towards Yak.

There's a good chance Yakupov will risk being a rental if he is traded to a half way decent team. Teams can only protect 7 forwards in the expansion draft.

He also has a relatively high qualifying offer. 2.5M doesn't sound awful on paper, but if he is stuck in the bottom 6 toiling away on the team that acquires him, there is a chance that they'll be forced not to qualify him if they are tight enough to the cap. A lot of teams aren't going to be able to waste 2.5M on a 30 point offensive project.

His qualifying offer and the upcoming expansion draft both make Yakupov a much riskier project than he'd otherwise be because there is a deadline imposed on when he has to prove to be effective by before the team who acquired him loses him for nothing.

In that scenario, most teams would probably just aim to keep their second round pick. I think a change of scenery type deal with another former first round pick might be what happens by the end of 2016 if Yakupov doesn't get it together this season with Edmonton.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Case in point - Justin Schultz. A guy getting booed every time he touched the puck, who looked so scared of contact you were never surprised when he'd cough up the puck to avoid a hit. He was overpaid considerably and essentially an impending UFA based on what he needs to be qualified at. That guy returned a 3rd.

Yak has some holes to his game and it has caused fans to get frustrated, but he's never been booed that I recall. The kid works hard and has a good attitude, has some high end skill sets, and is still under RFA control for this year and 2 more. And people want to suggest he has the same value as Schultz?

Schultz also plays RD which is in demand more than wing.

I don't think bringing up Schultz works greatly in favour of arguing that Yakupov could fetch a good return. Schultz ONLY got a 3rd, and a big reason was because despite being an RFA, he had a high qualifying offers, which for the team acquiring him made it no different than acquiring a UFA because they knew they couldn't qualify him.

Unless EDM opts to hold on to Yak strategically for the expansion draft, a 3rd for Yakupov as an intended rental at the deadline sounds about right.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

so a players value is not linked to how the produce but whether they are booed ? FCS we booed carey price in a freaking pre season game.

And " some holes to his game" is now officially in the running for " HF boards most generous and least objective competition" and his holes wont get patched by having a good attitude and working hard.

when does the new car smell finally subside and you realize your sitting in a compact with plastic seats ? if there is a time, theoretically, when you have to cut bait when is it ? 5 years ? 6 ? because no matter how poorly he plays he's ALWAYS going to be a 1OA and if that is the only arrow in the quiver, the oil can keep him.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
His per minute scoring rate is about 50% higher. So, no. He's not in Ebs league when it comes to hockey sense.

I'd say the Oilers can give Yak another month or two to see if he figures things out. It's not really about trade value - he won't get much either way. It's just about finding out whether you want the player or not.

Id rather bury Yak in the AHL and let him go to the KHL than give him away and risk having him score 40 goals on another team. See Miroslav Satan.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

That Schultz was worth a 3rd is an argument for Yakupov being worth a 4th, and that's being generous.

Right-handed D are a position of scarcity, even when they'd spent the last 18 months looking like disasters. Yakupov is a left-handed wing, which is a league-wide position of surplus, and has been worse for longer.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
So is this another way of saying that Yaks worth is at least a top 10 pick?

No, its another way of saying that people tend to forget how much trade value a 2nd draft pick really has and how high the odds are that this guy will play any better than Yakupov even at his current development level. A hint - not high, considering that Yakupov is still 3rd in scoring in his draft class.

jacks*

Mar 29, 2013
No, its another way of saying that people tend to forget how much trade value a 2nd draft pick really has and how high the odds are that this guy will play any better than Yakupov even at his current development level. A hint - not high, considering that Yakupov is still 3rd in scoring in his draft class.

All kidding aside i believe that Yak is worth a 1st.Now how high/low a 1st is the hard part.Top 10/11-20. I believe every team would take the chance and give up from 21 on.

cbzblaze

Nov 26, 2015
Calgary
Yak has produced nicely when put in the right situation (with a competent center). Unfortunately, he's spent most of his time in Edmonton stuck playing bottom 6 with grinder/checker type players. Guys like Letestu are experts at draining the offense out of their line mates. I see Yak as a 25 goal 60 point player if given some consistent top 6 minutes with a playmaking center. Oilers would be dumb to move him without giving him that opportunity first.

As Perfect of an example of mismanagement of a player you'll ever see.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
That Schultz was worth a 3rd is an argument for Yakupov being worth a 4th, and that's being generous.

Right-handed D are a position of scarcity, even when they'd spent the last 18 months looking like disasters. Yakupov is a left-handed wing, which is a league-wide position of surplus, and has been worse for longer.

Except Schultz was given every opportunity to succeed. 1st line minutes, 23 mins/game, tons of PP time. Yakupov has been provided with scant opportunities.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
If you guys will be as so nice to us, we will gladly take Yakupov off your hands! I heard he has personality issues and refuses to play in his own zone. Im sure Therrien would love that!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad