Mrazek's RFA Contract (UPD: Wings File Arbitration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
We have only seen both guys play a couple hundred games in a Wings sweater, are we waiting for them to evolve like a Pokemon?

Are we only assessing the value of the contracts on their development, or on the value of what is gained with those sorts of contracts league wide?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are we only assessing the value of the contracts on their development, or on the value of what is gained with those sorts of contracts league wide?

Well, if it is the latter, Helm's contract looks god awful.

Abdelkader's caphit is fine, but term is terrible.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Only if you're under the mistaken impression that players regularly improve after 30, or if you believe the cap will suddenly go up enough to make them irrelevant.

Alternatively, one could be aware of what people make across the league and index their assessments based on that, rather than a far more limited view of a single player.

It's interesting that you think I called a person specious, as that a) wouldn't make sense and b) would be a personal attack. Is there a reason you're trying to punch below the belt? I gave specific reasons why I thought the argument was specious, and you attack my character. Awesome.

I attacked your character? Interesting interpretation. Do go on.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Getting back to Mrazek.

I'm not seeing room for him. LTIR Franzen and Vitale and we're only about $1M under the cap. Even if you bury Ott and Miller completely that only leaves you ~$2.8M. Where's the rest of the money coming from?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Getting back to Mrazek.

I'm not seeing room for him. LTIR Franzen and Vitale and we're only about $1M under the cap. Even if you bury Ott and Miller completely that only leaves you ~$2.8M. Where's the rest of the money coming from?

Hopefully a ****ing trade.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Alternatively, one could be aware of what people make across the league and index their assessments based on that, rather than a far more limited view of a single player.

OK, good luck with that.

I attacked your character? Interesting interpretation. Do go on.

Already did, but it's pretty clear you're solely interested in being antagonistic. Have fun, I guess.

Getting back to Mrazek.

Is that including sending some of the waiver-ineligible guys down?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Getting back to Mrazek.

Wonder if Holland could move Brendan Smith for a 2nd round pick or maybe a prospect that is buried like to maybe Buffalo or Winnipeg. Just spit balling here.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Is that including sending some of the waiver-ineligible guys down?

I looked at GeneralFanager. I LTIRed Franzen and Vitale. I buried Ott and Miller. We still only have $2.8M.

I didn't send down anyone else.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Getting back to Mrazek.

On 1st day of the season, you have to be cap compliant, under 73.0M, so this is what we have to do:

A) You waive Miller+Howard+Franzen+Vitale on the 1st day of the season. Get 4x 950k = 3.8M relief
B) you send all waiver-free ELC contracts (Larkin, AA, Mantha) down on the 1st day of the season to finalize the number fit under 73.0M, but be as close as possible of it to maximize the LTIR relief.
C) If these aren't enough (depends of the Mrazek caphit), you'll send also Steve Ott down. If Mrazek caphit is at 3.8M ballpark, you don't have to waive Ott.

D) After these procedures are completed, you call Franzen and Vitale back and put them to LTIR. You put also Pulkkinen to LTIR. It will open 3.985M more cap space (total contract values - waiver reliefs).
E) Then you'll star using the LTIR extra space by calling Howard Back. You call Larkin back, you call Miller back, you call Athanasiou back.

And there we are. Ready for the season.

Boston did this suffling every summer when they had the Savard contract. Same happened at Philadelphia with Pronger contract.

But I already can feel how people will freak out when Larkin is technically sent to AHL for 1 day (weeks before the league even starts). ;)

Last edited:

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
I believe you can execute a buyout 3 days after arbitration ends if you have 2 or more that was in arbitration. So they could buyout Howard or Ericsson and create some room.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I looked at GeneralFanager. I LTIRed Franzen and Vitale. I buried Ott and Miller. We still only have $2.8M.

I didn't send down anyone else.

That's pretty gross for the collection of, er, talent that we have.

That said, I think with what Henkka mentioned, we should be able to make space. Downside being that we can't call anyone up for injuries again.

I imagine a trade is coming, but it's hard to imagine that moving Mantha will do anything but get us a bigger cap hit coming back, even if he's packaged with Tatar/Nyquist.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I believe you can execute a buyout 3 days after arbitration ends if you have 2 or more that was in arbitration. So they could buyout Howard or Ericsson and create some room.

I don't think Mrazek caphit will surprise Holland anyhow, so we won't need to start doing buyouts.

They have known for months what Mrazek/DeKeyser would get from arbitrations, and have already fixed our current caphits from free agency to match on those figures.

We are pretty much best organization (thanks to Ryan Martin) on that area.

RFA values are very predictable, and when those signings come last, you can do preparations for UFA period with some strong estimations on mind. Adding Vanek was probably the key caphit to fit all these things together.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I imagine a trade is coming, but it's hard to imagine that moving Mantha will do anything but get us a bigger cap hit coming back, even if he's packaged with Tatar/Nyquist.

I think a trade COULD come, but also this roster, after Mrazek caphit, is managable to use just as it is. That's how you build teams, there could be a plan B, but you also have to be 100% able go with plan A.

Tatar

Mar 26, 2011
FL300
Getting back to Mrazek.

It's a good thing we traded Datsyuk contract for all that cap space.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
cap situation regarding getting under the cap before the season starts isn't awful (though it could be better).

long-term cap management, flexibility, production/value wings get from their spent dollars... well those are little worse.

Aug 6, 2012
On 1st day of the season, you have to be cap compliant, under 73.0M, so this is what we have to do:

A) You waive Miller+Howard+Franzen+Vitale on the 1st day of the season. Get 4x 950k = 3.8M relief
B) you send all waiver-free ELC contracts (Larkin, AA, Mantha) down on the 1st day of the season to finalize the number fit under 73.0M, but be as close as possible of it to maximize the LTIR relief.
C) If these aren't enough (depends of the Mrazek caphit), you'll send also Steve Ott down. If Mrazek caphit is at 3.8M ballpark, you don't have to waive Ott.

D) After these procedures are completed, you call Franzen and Vitale back and put them to LTIR. You put also Pulkkinen to LTIR. It will open 3.985M more cap space (total contract values - waiver reliefs).
E) Then you'll star using the LTIR extra space by calling Howard Back. You call Larkin back, you call Miller back, you call Athanasiou back.

And there we are. Ready for the season.

Boston did this suffling every summer when they had the Savard contract. Same happened at Philadelphia with Pronger contract.

But I already can feel how people will freak out when Larkin is technically sent to AHL for 1 day (weeks before the league even starts). ;)

What an absolute **** show this GM has created.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006

Next year Tatar, Vanek, Vitale, Miller, Ott, Jurco, Pulkinnen, AA and Smith lapse. 9 spots and 13+ mil.

The year after that Sheahan, Larkin, Mantha, Green and Marchenko lapse. 5 spots and 11+ mil.

The year after that Nyquist, Kronwall and Howard lapse. 3 spots and 15+ mil.

I think you're overreacting to some short term danger caused by Datsyuk bailing on the team. Last year and this year are the two most dangerous years the team is likely to face, and I think this years team is better than last years team.

Detroit's not in too much long term danger, contract wise. If they can catch a break with one of Z, Franzen and Howard and have a contract from that group disappear before schedule they'll be in spectacular shape, actually.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

It's the exact opposite. Nothing but smart management. Knowledge how to sail this ship with all problematic injuries.

You just have to go through that kind of clausule-process to get iäthe team under CBA rules but it has 0% effect for the on-ice product.

And imo, that's only thing what will matter.

Same on-ice product will play at season start after this numbers-game.

We don't have to worry about it at all. They know what to do.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
It's the exact opposite. Nothing but smart management. Knowledge how to sail this ship with all problematic injuries.

You just have to go through that kind of clausule-process to get iäthe team under CBA rules but it has 0% effect for the on-ice product.

And imo, that's only thing what will matter.

Same on-ice product will play at season start after this numbers-game.

We don't have to worry about it at all. They know what to do.

The on ice product is mediocre for a cap strapped team. It's terrible management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad