Mrazek's RFA Contract (UPD: Wings File Arbitration)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mrazek has yet to prove that he's worth any where near $5 million per for 2 years. I think a deal around $3.75 million for 2 years is way more then fair. Then after these 2 years if he has great seasons then cash in on the big prize.

Guess it would depend on how you define "prove".

His numbers are better than most goalies numbers at this stage in their career.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't blame Mrazek for playing hard ball with negotiations, the Wings need him.

Yep, he's going to need to be in the running for league MVP just for this team to have a shot at the playoffs. I don't blame him one bit for asking for a salary commenusrate with what he will be asked to do here. Gotta love Holland signing a bunch of middle of the road vets and potentially creating a massive cap crunch for a team that is probably in the bottom third of the league talent wise.

Serves him right. :shakehead

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
I don't blame Mrazek for playing hard ball with negotiations, the Wings need him.

I can definitely were Mrazek and his agent are coming from. Andersen just signed for 5 years $25 million Andersen has started only 31 more games then Mrazek plus Andersen is 2 years older and his record isn't any better then Mrazeks period. Should be interesting next few days here in what kind of offer Mrazek receives.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
The problem the Wings have, which probably will be a point in Mrazek's case, is that the Wings are paying the back up 5.25 million a season. Why shouldn't he get at near that figure?

Here's the iron wire for you:

Howard had UFA rights, Mrazek does not. The arbitrator will compare him to fellow RFAs not a bunch of UFAs.

- Statistics

And they'll compare him to guys who drop on the same ballpark, against their caphits.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I can definitely were Mrazek and his agent are coming from. Andersen just signed for 5 years $25 million Andersen has started only 31 more games then Mrazek plus Andersen is 2 years older and his record isn't any better then Mrazeks period. Should be interesting next few days here in what kind of offer Mrazek receives.

Bad comparable.

Andersen is 2 years older and his contract included UFA years.

- Andersen had 115 games of NHL game experience (including playoffs) already a year ago. BEfore signing his current 5-year deal, he had played already 163 games in NHL.
- Mrazek has 104 games of NHL experience (including playoffs). That's a HUGE difference.

But if you compare that "year earlier" Andersen to Mrazek's becoming 2-year deal, you take:

- Andersen's season 2015-16 salary with 1.5M
- Next season 2016-17 salary with 5.0M

On average = 3.25M. There's the Mrazek caphit comparable.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Let's play hardball with two of the Wings better players, so we can use that extra money to overpay our mediocre talent.

Wouldn't call it hardball, more just due diligence. Rushing to get a deal done could be worse.

Holland is pretty good at handling RFA's, typically. UFA's or upcoming UFA's are a different story.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wouldn't call it hardball, more just due diligence. Rushing to get a deal done could be worse.

Holland is pretty good at handling RFA's, typically. UFA's or upcoming UFA's are a different story.

I'm looking forward to Kenny's "due diligence" when DD is a UFA next year.

Holland has no problem rushing to sign Justin Abdelkader and Jonathan Ericsson to six and seven year contracts in the middle of November. Where was his due diligence there?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Holland has no problem rushing to sign Justin Abdelkader and Jonathan Ericsson to six and seven year contracts in the middle of November. Where was his due diligence there?

Reportedly, both Dekeyser and the club want a long term deal. So I wouldn't worry about that too much.

As I said, bad at handling UFA's, or soon to be expiring UFA's.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Let's play hardball with two of the Wings better players, so we can use that extra money to overpay our mediocre talent.

Dude, this is just the process a ton of RFAs go through. There is nothing noteworthy going on here. Then again, I guess we all should have expected that you would try and spin this into a negative anyway.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Reportedly, both Dekeyser and the club want a long term deal. So I wouldn't worry about that too much.

He is gonna be a UFA next year if they don't avoid arbitration.

So just overpay and get it over with. It's gonna happen either way, so you might as well do it while he is still an RFA. Especially when you look at the depth chart.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I would like to see a long term contract. All in. The teams future hinges on Mrazek becoming elite. If he doesn't pan out its just another bad contract to throw on Holland's pile to ride out in the decline.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Johan Franzen
Jonathan Ericsson
Justin Abdelkader
Darren Helm

If your first name ends with an N, you're in the golden parachute club. ;)

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Johan Franzen
Jonathan Ericsson
Justin Abdelkader
Darren Helm

If your first name ends with an N, you're in the golden parachute club. ;)

I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with Franzen's contract. He was signed to a very reasonable cap hit for what he was at the time. The injuries were unforeseeable.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with Franzen's contract. He was signed to a very reasonable cap hit for what he was at the time. The injuries were unforeseeable.

Also, Helm and Abdelkader's contracts haven't been a detriment to the team yet, so throwing them in the Ericsson/Howard convo, isn't justified yet. Abdelkader hasn't even started his new cap hit yet, and people are already worrying about the end of the deal, how about relax a little.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Also, Helm and Abdelkader's contracts haven't been a detriment to the team yet, so throwing them in the Ericsson/Howard convo, isn't justified yet. Abdelkader hasn't even started his new cap hit yet, and people are already worrying about the end of the deal, how about relax a little.

Yeah, god forbid anyone thinks beyond the tip of their nose about a team they care about. Just like, chill man. :rolleyes:

Additionally, it's really specious to suggest that you can't call Helm and Abbie's contracts objectively bad, just because Abbie hasn't started his and Helm's might not be a detriment to the team today.

HockeyinHD

Semi-retired former active poster.
Jun 18, 2006
It's gonna happen either way, so you might as well do it while he is still an RFA.

... so you can then complain about Holland having done ao, with no subsequent degree of self-awareness? :)

It's smart for Mrazek to press his advantage. Patterson has stalled, Coreau isn't the guy, and Howard is a mess. There's noone in or around the system who can realistically challenge him for his role. This is generally the same situation as Ericsson found himself in when he last came up for a deal.

My guess is Mrazek will end up getting a 4+ mil a year deal now, instead of the 3.5ish I thought he'd get before. Given Detroit's obvious goals, there's no real way they can let him go.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
Yeah, god forbid anyone thinks beyond the tip of their nose about a team they care about. Just like, chill man. :rolleyes:

Additionally, it's really specious to suggest that you can't call Helm and Abbie's contracts objectively bad, just because Abbie hasn't started his and Helm's might not be a detriment to the team today.

Isn't it equally specious to declare both contracts objectively bad before either player has played a game under them?

Personally, I think it's more than fair to be skeptical of the Helm deal and ambivalent regarding the Abdelkader deal... but I'm also not someone who goes around calling those who'd disagree with either of those assessments 'specious', either.

HockeyinHD

Jun 18, 2006
I would like to see a long term contract. All in. The teams future hinges on Mrazek becoming elite. If he doesn't pan out its just another bad contract to throw on Holland's pile to ride out in the decline.

Being paid like you're elite doesn't make you elite.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Isn't it equally specious to declare both contracts objectively bad before either player has played a game under them?

Only if you're under the mistaken impression that players regularly improve after 30, or if you believe the cap will suddenly go up enough to make them irrelevant.

Personally, I think it's more than fair to be skeptical of the Helm deal and ambivalent regarding the Abdelkader deal... but I'm also not someone who goes around calling those who'd disagree with either of those assessments 'specious', either.

It's interesting that you think I called a person specious, as that a) wouldn't make sense and b) would be a personal attack. Is there a reason you're trying to punch below the belt? I gave specific reasons why I thought the argument was specious, and you attack my character. Awesome.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

I'm going to bring back Ian White on a $5M/yr contract for 7 years. Can't call it bad though because he has yet to play a single game under that contract.

Or. Or. Or.

We can live in a world where we use past examples, a player's personal characteristics, common sense, and make reasonable inferences thereupon.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

We have only seen both guys play a couple hundred games in a Wings sweater, are we waiting for them to evolve like a Pokemon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad