Waived: Mrazek

vpasla1

Mar 24, 2018
Let's not get too crazy. He beat a Devils team on a back-to-back when we had plenty of rest, and a Florida team at the end of a 7-game roadie that was from west to east and 3rd game in 4 nights. Let's see what he does in Boston.
Florida didn't play from the 19th to 23rd. That's five days off. I'm sure they went home during that time... So not really a seven game road trip. More of a three game trip.

Yes, three games in four, but let's not act like the travel from Montreal, to Ottawa, to Toronto was strenuous. Toronto also played back to back.

I agree, we need more of a sample size for Mrazek, but let's not try to downplay it with half facts to favour Florida.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Florida didn't play from the 19th to 23rd. That's five days off. I'm sure they went home during that time... So not really a seven game road trip. More of a three game trip.

Yes, three games in four, but let's not act like the travel from Montreal, to Ottawa, to Toronto was strenuous. Toronto also played back to back.

I agree, we need more of a sample size for Mrazek, but let's not try to downplay it with half facts to favour Florida.
Can you imagine what the trip back from Montreal was like?

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden

Not an attempt to do half facts at all. Florida has played 9 of their last 10 on the road. That is a fact. I did not look at the dates of all of them so I appreciate the clarification. 3 roadies in 4 nights is a lot and if the Leafs were the team losing in Florida to the Panthers, I would and most would cite that as germane to their performance.

Was Mrazek really great vs. Florida? No. He did look like a competent NHL goalie and that's huge progress building off his performance vs. NJ. I want to see this vs. the Bruins. They could've put a ton on Tampa but Vasilevskiy was very good save for the one softie on the 2nd Bruins goal.

To me, this is a real litmus test. NJ and a worn Panthers team with not half the reason for the game to be important to them doesn't do much for me. Boston and us are tied. That game Tuesday is huge for them and for us. It is also a look at how Mrazek might fare in TD Garden in a big playoff game there.

My post was the exact opposite call than yours was to me. I think not too much should be made of his performance tonight so downplaying seems appropriate.

Hopefully, we're all celebrating a truly big performance and win at Boston. That will fire me up. This one not so much.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Not an attempt to do half facts at all. Florida has played 9 of their last 10 on the road. That is a fact. I did not look at the dates of all of them so I appreciate the clarification. 3 roadies in 4 nights is a lot and if the Leafs were the team losing in Florida to the Panthers, I would and most would cite that as germane to their performance.

Was Mrazek really great vs. Florida? No. He did look like a competent NHL goalie and that's huge progress building off his performance vs. NJ. I want to see this vs. the Bruins. They could've put a ton on Tampa but Vasilevskiy was very good save for the one softie on the 2nd Bruins goal.

To me, this is a real litmus test. NJ and a worn Panthers team with not half the reason for the game to be important to them doesn't do much for me. Boston and us are tied. That game Tuesday is huge for them and for us. It is also a look at how Mrazek might fare in TD Garden in a big playoff game there.

My post was the exact opposite call than yours was to me. I think not too much should be made of his performance tonight so downplaying seems appropriate.

Hopefully, we're all celebrating a truly big performance and win at Boston. That will fire me up. This one not so much.
Not taking anything away from Mrazek here, but the team as a whole played a pretty decent defensive game, other than a couple of gaffes that led directly to the two goals.

The D kept the crease pretty tidy, some good physicality and no steps back. Liljegren had a bit of a snarl on as did Holl. Lube manhandled a few Cats, guys getting in front of pucks, I think Gio has had a positive effect and not just with the example he sets but the added level of competition he provides.

The forwards all got back without a lot of straggling, and generally played some pretty disciplined hockey in their own end, and nobody was blowing the zone early.

I hope they continue this recently found edge and keep it going. No offense but this is the kind of hockey they need to play to win and I mean actually win. The idea that some kind of namby pamby hearts and flowers attitude can win in this league is just never going to happen.

Reactions: riffle

makbeer

Sep 28, 2006
He kept pucks out by my god does it look ugly, scary and like a heart attack waiting to happen.

He slid out of his net at least 3-4x, ended up on his bum a couple of times, was windmilling routine glove saves for no reason and played 4 feet out of his crease when being 1 foot out would have been just right.

Reactions: ACC1224

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
He kept pucks out by my god does it look ugly, scary and like a heart attack waiting to happen.

He slid out of his net at least 3-4x, ended up on his bum a couple of times, was windmilling routine glove saves for no reason and played 4 feet out of his crease when being 1 foot out would have been just right.
The Dominick Hasek school of goaltending, difference is Dom had incredible horse shoes.

Reactions: makbeer

riffle

Mar 17, 2022
East of Eden
Not taking anything away from Mrazek here, but the team as a whole played a pretty decent defensive game, other than a couple of gaffes that led directly to the two goals.

The D kept the crease pretty tidy, some good physicality and no steps back. Liljegren had a bit of a snarl on as did Holl. Lube manhandled a few Cats, guys getting in front of pucks, I think Gio has had a positive effect and not just with the example he sets but the added level of competition he provides.

The forwards all got back without a lot of straggling, and generally played some pretty disciplined hockey in their own end, and nobody was blowing the zone early.

I hope they continue this recently found edge and keep it going. No offense but this is the kind of hockey they need to play to win and I mean actually win. The idea that some kind of namby pamby hearts and flowers attitude can win in this league is just never going to happen.
"Lube" as you called him has noticeable hits. Now, I have Hakan Loob on the brain. Thanks. The anti-KY...defenders don't slide off of him.

Visions of Muzzin back dancin' in my head. He was the only Dman we had who would lay a big hit once in awhile. I'm very curious if "Lube" will rub off on him not to make a terrible pun. Imagine an impassioned Muzzin and a lathered up Lube. Soft would be reserved for our forwards but no longer our D corps.

What a miracle for this team to actually be "hard to play against". What is Leafs hockey anymore? A few handful of games to find that identity that has been lacking. Ponder a rejuvenated Campbell and Mrazek as part of all that. If that can come to fruition, literally anything is possible for this team. I mean, it always is, but it would feel almost probable that a deep run was coming.

• Haha
Reactions: therealkoho

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Like him or hate him, credit has to be given to Mrazek. He hit the lowest of lows by being placed on waivers, and the team -- a contending one -- was set to replace with a fresh rookie and a pretty much unknown guy. He could have hit the dumps and sulked. He could have had his confidence completely shattered. He could have had the most fragile of mental states.

Yet he has come back and delivered two relatively good performances. Two games certainly does not atone the poor season he has. But full marks for coming back and working harder. He's a decent goalie who hopefully can gain a bit of confidence going forward from this situation.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
"Lube" as you called him has noticeable hits. Now, I have Hakan Loob on the brain. Thanks. The anti-KY...defenders don't slide off of him.

Visions of Muzzin back dancin' in my head. He was the only Dman we had who would lay a big hit once in awhile. I'm very curious if "Lube" will rub off on him not to make a terrible pun. Imagine an impassioned Muzzin and a lathered up Lube. Soft would be reserved for our forwards but no longer our D corps.

What a miracle for this team to actually be "hard to play against". What is Leafs hockey anymore? A few handful of games to find that identity that has been lacking. Ponder a rejuvenated Campbell and Mrazek as part of all that. If that can come to fruition, literally anything is possible for this team. I mean, it always is, but it would feel almost probable that a deep run was coming.
And hopefully Willie can put any of his somtimes flaccid play behind him!

• Love
Reactions: riffle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad