Friedman: Mrazek Arbitration Ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
First comparable on Mrazek's list: Jimmy Howard.

I can see why he's in arbitration given those Red Wings offers. I mean, Andersen just signed at $5 and his numbers are weaker than Mrazek's.

That's was my first thought too. If you're going to ask a guy whose contract is up to be your number one goalie then you need to be prepared to pay him more than your backup if you intend to keep him.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Mrazek/DDK

DDK has avoided arbitration by signing 6 yr. deal @$5 mil per(I'm OK with this deal). Pretty much as expected.

I pray that Mrazek and Holland agree on a 2 yr. bridge deal at $4 mil. Next summer, Howard is left unprotected and(with some added incentive) LV takes Howard. Even if they don't take him, it will be easier/less expensive to either buy out Howie or trade him with retention. After July 1st/2017 we can then extend Petr for another 6 yrs(starting in 18/19) for probably close to $6 mil per.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Go get it Petr. I don't mind guys going after what they're worth, and seeing a teammate in Howard earn what he does for far worse results has to grind his gears.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Clock is ticking, wonder if they'll actually hit the arbitration hearing tomorrow.

Btw, for any not aware: Mrazek is the sole team-elected salary arbitration this summer. All the others were player-elected.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Clock is ticking, wonder if they'll actually hit the arbitration hearing tomorrow.

Btw, for any not aware: Mrazek is the sole team-elected salary arbitration this summer. All the others were player-elected.

Most have expected them to get there for a while now.

They are going to compare him to Gibson as the big starting point, probably Vasy in Tampa.

It will be interesting to see how contentious this gets. He is critical to the future so you don't want to put the guy in tears. But for everyone saying Howard, I am sure his agent can try, but it won't work that well when they sit in front of the arbitrator more than likely. But I don't think Wings fans will be upset if he gets his two years and 10 million. Heck if he wanted to use the Howard logic, he should have demanded 5.5 per. Anderson's deal also buys out UFA years. They are not ideal for Mrazek's side as some would think.

We had a poster put up the salaries comparable in terms of bridges for RFA guys that were similar and if I remember right most were closer to the Wings number than Mrazek and I don't think anybody cleared 4 million at that point.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Most have expected them to get there for a while now.

They are going to compare him to Gibson as the big starting point, probably Vasy in Tampa.

It will be interesting to see how contentious this gets. He is critical to the future so you don't want to put the guy in tears. But for everyone saying Howard, I am sure his agent can try, but it won't work that well when they sit in front of the arbitrator more than likely. But I don't think Wings fans will be upset if he gets his two years and 10 million. Heck if he wanted to use the Howard logic, he should have demanded 5.5 per. Anderson's deal also buys out UFA years. They are not ideal for Mrazek's side as some would think.

We had a poster put up the salaries comparable in terms of bridges for RFA guys that were similar and if I remember right most were closer to the Wings number than Mrazek and I don't think anybody cleared 4 million at that point.

Can't even mention Howard in the arbitration, he can't be used in any discussion of what Mrazek should be paid.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Can a wings fan tell me why they aren't locking this guy up long term?

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014

Not a wings fan but saddling up alot of money long term into yet another goalie is tough when youre trying to compete. If they were able to move howard's contract they probably would. But 10m for goalies is alot

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010

He's only played around 100 NHL games. Bridge deal into long term deal makes more sense at this point. Plus the Howard situation and cap situation in general.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015

First actual arbitration case of this offseason. So he will get a two-year contract.

Mad Brills*

who's the last guy to get an arb reward instead of settling?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Last time they committed to a goalie long term, they kinda got burned. Also we have a bunch of money tied up long term in crap right now.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
FYI: even though the arbitration hearing started they can still settle on a new contract so long as they do so before the arbitration ruling is released. That usually happens a couple days after the hearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad