Friedman: Mrazek Arbitration Ask

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I really don't see the problem with Wings' offer. Not saying he should accept it and smile but it's certainly not a lowball offer.

Not sure how you can say its not a lowball offer. There isn't another goalie in the league that has started 40+ games and then signed a contract averaging under $3M.

A low-end starter makes $4M+ Jake Allen, who started fewer games last year while putting up similar stats, signed for $4.35. James Reimer signed for $3.4M to be a backup.

Clearly, offering Mrazek, the starter going into the season, $2.925 is a lowball.

That said, its the nature of arbitration. Odds are he ends up around $4M, which is right in the middle.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
A name not thrown out as a comparable for when he was on that contract, Cory Schneider's deal after his bridge when he still had RFA seasons owed but was clearly good enough to start in the NHL he signed 3 years at 4.5.
Risky on the Wings part, but they get their goalie signed which should be the most important thing. Mzarek gets a bit more than he's worth today, but those extra two seasons at that rate is what sells it for the Wings. Probably get a Top15 goalie for medium starter/high end back up rate

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
For an HF argument, that subjective reasoning can be used in an argument. In an arbitration case, that type of opinion is hard to use to justify more compensation.

I'm well-versed in the arbitration rules. I'm merely pointing that out for the sake of Allen v. Mrazek.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Well, for one, they have just under 4 million right now... so... they need cap for signing Mrazek and DDK. And they practically did nothing to strengthen their defense.

And Howard's contract is relevant. It's a comparable.

No it's not. It can't even be brought up. Completely irrelevant.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
but the wings have less than 4 mil in cap with 5 d-men and still need to extend dekeyser

is someone being put on LTIR/traded ?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
but the wings have less than 4 mil in cap with 5 d-men and still need to extend dekeyser

is someone being put on LTIR/traded ?

With Franzen and Vitale going on LTIR Detroit will have around $8M to $9M to spend should be more then enough for both Mrazek and DeKeyser plus Holland will make a trade or two could see one of Tatar or Nyquist getting moved to upgrade the D and it wouldn't shock me to see Brendan Smith get dealt as well that would be another $2.75 million off the books.

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
With Franzen and Vitale going on LTIR Detroit will have around $8M to $9M to spend should be more then enough for both Mrazek and DeKeyser plus Holland will make a trade or two could see one of Tatar or Nyquist getting moved to upgrade the D and it wouldn't shock me to see Brendan Smith get dealt as well that would be another $2.75 million off the books.

got it a lot left to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad