TSN: Mr. Button has nice things to say about the Leafs

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Anything objective like shot maps or are we just taking your word for it?

Don't need maps I have eyes that see him cause Breakaway and odd man rushes almost every game

Watch the next 3 games he will do something horrendous in at least 2 of them that no one will complain about because Andersen will save his ass because he always saves his ass and because of that people will continue to believe he is good when the reality is Andersen and Andersen alone is the reason Carrick is not being destroyed

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
The fact that Carrick has been a giveaway machine is undeniable, even by his most ardent fans. It's also undeniable he's playing top 4 d by default, not merit. The question becomes will he be here a few years from now or is he just a placeholder till our better d prospects ripen. I don't believe he's proficient at any aspect of the game. A smallish dman with limited offensive or defensive potential is destined for a short NHL career imo.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Carrick reminds me a lot of Ian White, who - while he did bounce around a lot in his last few years - did play more than 500 NHL games over 8 years in the League.

What people need to keep in mind as well is that Carrick was a 5th-round draft pick. 1st-rounders like Kadri and Gardiner are "supposed to be" more NHL-ready, and yet we've seen how much time it can take for guys like them (or Steen) to fully hit their stride.

We were continually burned in the past by trading away young players before truly seeing what we had in them on the ice (Steen, Stralman, Rask, to name a few), I'm very glad we finally have a patient management group that is willing to take the time to teach and develop all of the kids in our system, not just the 'Big 3'.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Carrick reminds me a lot of Ian White, who - while he did bounce around a lot in his last few years - did play more than 500 NHL games over 8 years in the League.

What people need to keep in mind as well is that Carrick was a 5th-round draft pick. 1st-rounders like Kadri and Gardiner are "supposed to be" more NHL-ready, and yet we've seen how much time it can take for guys like them (or Steen) to fully hit their stride.

We were continually burned in the past by trading away young players before truly seeing what we had in them on the ice (Steen, Stralman, Rask, to name a few), I'm very glad we finally have a patient management group that is willing to take the time to teach and develop all of the kids in our system, not just the 'Big 3'.

Toronto will need to decide to protect either Marincin or Carrick in the expansion draft and that will determine what Leafs management thinks and who has more value in whom they protect.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Toronto will need to decide to protect either Marincin or Carrick in the expansion draft and that will determine what Leafs management thinks and who has more value in whom they protect.

It'll determine what they think when comparing Marincin and Carrick in a vacuum, but that's about it.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Carrick is the new Gardiner in that he's constantly blasted by the portion of the fan base that treat Don Cherry's word as gospel. He's going to be a valuable piece in a couple years time and has done a solid job playing a little above his head on the second pairing.

Yup.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Nylander isnt consistent like Marner.

Bad luck means inconsistency now?

I can't find it right now, but his on ice sh% 5v5 is crazy low and he's still on pace for like 55 points. If it goes back to an average NHL pace (it will) he will be a 70 point player.

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
I don't like the dumb penalties Carrick takes getting so hot headed...but the kid plays with intensity.

Sure he makes mistakes like any young learning player, but he's far from bad and I think he will turn into a top 4-dman in the coming years.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Written off at 22? I thought 30 was the written off age for Leaf fans.:sarcasm:

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
He turns over the puck everytime I look at him. He's been the worst D this season. He's small and yet still can't skate. He can't use his body to get the puck off anyone, and he skates so slow and has to be bailed out by Gardiner constantly.

Carrick is terrible, open your eyes and actually pay attention instead of praising him for his AHL dominance.

What a horrible hot take.

Marincian has been the worst by far in his short stint, followed by hunwick. Carrick has been good. Getsee solid shots, breaks up plays and is good with the puck.

What a horrible post.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
The best thing that ever happened to Carrick was getting lumped in with our super rookies. Some people expect greatness from a guy that might provide good. I don't think you have a very good defense if he's in your top 4.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Ratings seem fine.

Overall it has been one heck of a positive first half to the season. The top notch rookie presence has been spectacular and far better than I could have hoped for. Earned high marks for Matthews and Marner. Though I still give plenty of praise to Nylander who is doing his thing quite well.

On the blueline thing....well we'll see. Time is being given and used by guys like Carrick and Marincin to find their place and continue growing. I have no clue how effective Carrick will be. Will just have to see what he can do over time and whether he actually does that growing here.

scooter87

Mar 22, 2013
Crappy rankings if our team was actually that good we should be closer to 1st in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad