TSN: Mr. Button has nice things to say about the Leafs

Keato

Apr 9, 2016
Winnipeg, MB
http://www.tsn.ca/toronto-rookies-instrumental-as-leafs-earn-a-1.659500

As I am sure some of you have seen, Craig Button from TSN has released his (nearly) mid-way point ratings. Since some of the discussion elsewhere has gotten a little... hostile I thought we could talk about it here! The Leafs did very well, earning an A+, which, if I remember correctly from my TA days, is 95% and above!

Furthermore, quite a few Leafs got excellent ratings as well. I won't bore you with the whole list, which you can check in the link above, but both Matthews and Marner topped the forwards with A+, while Zaitsev, Gardiner, and Rielly earned A on Defence. Andersen also received a well-deserved A as well!

Do you agree with this ranking? I don't think it means what some people think it does (it's more they are playing very well and exceeding expectations, not that they are the best team in the league or anything). Any rankings you disagree with? Think they can keep it up? Or is this whole ranking business phooey?

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
The B for Carrick should stand for "brutal", even relative to his salary.

Other than that, I'd say they're quite easy marks from Button.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
So Marner gets A+ and Nylander a B. Sorry but I can not take those grades seriously. The difference between Nylander and Marner is not that great, if there even is a difference.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
For a guy who suffered a concussion, Nylander flies though the neutral zone, I am waiting for a zone to zone touchdown soon.

But seriously though, those marks are absurd. Way too high.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hyman (A) -- Matthews (A+) -- Brown (A)

Button seems to like that line "A" lot making it Leafs best line on player performance.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Nylander continues to be underrated by many in the Toronto media.

its so crazy, radio shows or tv hits its always "matthews and Marner and the rest" type quotes, Nylander is the same level as Marner. I wish Nylander got sheltered as much as the Bozak line gets. He is on pace for 55 points while playing time with almost every player we have on the roster at forward. Bear in mind 55 points would lead the team last year but yeah lets lump him in withe the rest because Brown and Hyman and their 37 point pace is just as good

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I wonder if ppl forget Carrick is a rookie. He will be a gem in a couple years.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
So Marner gets A+ and Nylander a B. Sorry but I can not take those grades seriously. The difference between Nylander and Marner is not that great, if there even is a difference.

Hyman (A) -- Matthews (A+) -- Brown (A)

Button seems to like that line "A" lot making it Leafs best line on player performance.

Keep in mind that the grade is based on the expectations of the player coming into the season.

Most people thought Matthews would be great, but fewer thought he would be this good this quickly, and many people thought Marner would struggle to translate his production and style of play to the NHL in his first season. But Nylander was expected to be a little more polished than those guys because he had his cup of tea last year and had gone through a season and a half within the Leafs' professional system already.

So while Nylander is meeting his expectations (and continuing to grow - don't be surprised if he ranks higher by the end of the year), Matthews and Marner seem to be blowing theirs out of the water.

With regards to Hyman and Brown, the simple fact that they're playing with our All-Star #1C in their rookie seasons is probably already putting them in a better position than most anticipated before the start of the season. While some people complain, I don't believe they're slowing Matthews down too much, and that's impressive in its own right.

He is not a rookie in fact.

He played 34 games with Washington back in 2013-14 which was his rookie season.

I wonder if people forget how little NHL experience Carrick has. He's going to be a gem in a couple of years.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Why are people so wrong about Carrick? He's been great.

Do you just need a scapegoat?

Then scapegoat Hunwick or Polak. Because they are the truly bad defenseman.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
its so crazy, radio shows or tv hits its always "matthews and Marner and the rest" type quotes, Nylander is the same level as Marner. I wish Nylander got sheltered as much as the Bozak line gets. He is on pace for 55 points while playing time with almost every player we have on the roster at forward. Bear in mind 55 points would lead the team last year but yeah lets lump him in withe the rest because Brown and Hyman and their 37 point pace is just as good

It shouldnt surprise anybody - if it were up the Toronto media guys like Domi would be in the hall of fame. If you don't play like a grinder you automatically get labelled as "lazy".

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Explain to me how he has been bad?

He turns over the puck everytime I look at him. He's been the worst D this season. He's small and yet still can't skate. He can't use his body to get the puck off anyone, and he skates so slow and has to be bailed out by Gardiner constantly.

Carrick is terrible, open your eyes and actually pay attention instead of praising him for his AHL dominance.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
There isn't a GM in the league I bet that would trade Marner for Nylander straight up. Sorry. Plus Marner is one year younger for those aghast at the grades. I'd give Nylander a B+ btw, good not great but really starting to bring it every night, future looks bright.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He turns over the puck everytime I look at him. He's been the worst D this season. He's small and yet still can't skate. He can't use his body to get the puck off anyone, and he skates so slow and has to be bailed out by Gardiner constantly.

Carrick is terrible, open your eyes and actually pay attention instead of praising him for his AHL dominance.

I find it ironic you're calling out someone to open their eyes when you're the one saying he's slow and can't skate. :laugh:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Matthews would be the only player I would give an A+ grade.

There are others that would deserve A grade including Andersen, Marner, Kadri and maybe JVR.

Rielly would get a B+ and the highest grade on D.

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
While we are on this subject... Was I the only one to notice the lingering( great) effects of a Babcock coached team, when we played Detroit. Poor guys just missed a Marner or two, but they played the same tenacious way, we now see.

Anyone see that>?

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Btw, Babcock loves Polak and Hunwick, we might not get a lot of gratification on those two. They definitely have a room at the Babcock family cottage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad