Player Discussion: Moving Forward, Goalie Talk

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Make a run at Stamkos?!?

The deletions of Okposo's potential contract and Halak's should just about cover a Stamkos contract. Looks like Frans will be retained and will likely be another team friendly deal. JT will get a matching contract to the one Stamkos contract gets with the deletions of Grabovski's and Kulemin's contracts.

Up the star power of the team and still have quality young depth that's dirt cheap for a little while.

The new owners want to introduce themselves this way maybe? I just hope they know what they are doing. It's possible to get an elite player and still give him a terrible contract.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I couldn't catch the game last night, what is this tweet in reference to?

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Make a run at Stamkos?!?

The deletions of Okposo's potential contract and Halak's should just about cover a Stamkos contract. Looks like Frans will be retained and will likely be another team friendly deal. JT will get a matching contract to the one Stamkos contract gets with the deletions of Grabovski's and Kulemin's contracts.

Up the star power of the team and still have quality young depth that's dirt cheap for a little while.

I think this is very realistic. Hand Stamkos a blank check, tell him you'll play 1A/1B at center or play wing with Tavares whenever you want, and 1st PP time. We become serious Cup contenders with that offense, moreso than he had with the triplets.

I couldn't catch the game last night, what is this tweet in reference to?

He tried throwing a puck over the glass to a kid six times and failed. It was pretty funny. Glad to see he's got a great sense of humor.

Work habits?

Yeah this tweet is alarming.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Stamkos is unrealistic.

Not really. We have the roster spot and potentially the cash. The only other teams that can realistically afford him and give him a roster spot are:

- NYI
- Maple Leafs
- Blues
- Canadiens
- NJ
- Hurricanes
- Coyotes
- Blue Jackets

The Islanders and the Blues are the only contenders in the US. If he wants to play in Canada, he's going to Toronto.

Very realistic to get him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Not really. We have the roster spot and potentially the cash. The only other teams that can realistically afford him and give him a roster spot are:

- NYI
- Maple Leafs
- Blues
- Canadiens
- NJ
- Hurricanes
- Coyotes
- Blue Jackets

The Islanders and the Blues are the only contenders in the US. If he wants to play in Canada, he's going to Toronto.

Very realistic to get him.

Tampa Bay.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
You could interpret that as Greiss and Berube have better work habits, not that Jaro's are terrible.

Cost and injuries are self explanatory.

The only way to interpret that is that Jaro's work habits aren't good otherwise it wouldn't have been brought up as a comparable.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Stamkos is unrealistic.

He is actually quite down to earth. He even drives a Honda Accord.

Joking aside, of course he will stay in Tampa if they meet his demands. I would call that a coin flip because the mere fact they didn't treat him the way Garth treated JT says a lot. Then you factor in the way Yzerman treated MSL... If they pay him what they should there is no way we would have been talking about it to begin with.

If Stamkos does become available I would say we are in the running to hire him. The turn away from Halak, like I mentioned in my poll thread that was tossed and ridiculed, asked that very question.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
I am far from the biggest fan of the way Halak has played this season, but I think Staple's comments today and some of the posters agreeing with that potential plan are SERIOUSLY jumping the gun. I cant even quantify how risky that is for a team expecting to be contenders in the present time to trust its goaltending completely to a backup having one career year and a guy who has had three good NHL games. I mean come on.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I am far from the biggest fan of the way Halak has played this season, but I think Staple's comments today and some of the posters agreeing with that potential plan are SERIOUSLY jumping the gun. I cant even quantify how risky that is for a team expecting to be contenders in the present time to trust its goaltending completely to a backup having one career year and a guy who has had three good NHL games. I mean come on.

Truth.:nod:

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Methinks it's based off of his comments about not liking a 3 man rotation; and it rubbed the Isles the wrong way. Pure speculation on my part of course.

Probably, because god knows that anybody who criticizes this organization for its warped, sorry I mean unique and groundbreaking, way of doing things, is essentially blacklisted.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Staple just said Halak won't play another game for the Isles

Love this and never expected this. Just trade him to free salary. This will give opportunities.

Now I wonder who made this decision, maybe new owners already hold the leash.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Came here to ask if anyone has any idea what's the deal with Staple's Berube love today. The guy was on waivers to begin the year and has four starts. Even if you're frustrated with Halak--which I think is a bit silly; he's been injury prone his whole career and is still the best we've had in a decade--how on earth could Staple justify talking up Berube as if he's some can't-miss prospect?

Being without a real starting goalie for so long was like being in the wilderness. Like Satan said a few posts up, that's incredible reckless.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I doubt Isles can dump his contract w/o taking something back or a larger deal that offsets contracts.

Yes, that's not easy because Halak is injured now. But groins will heal and Halak will be good enough to play every 3rd day and maybe more in the future. It's just surprising to read that Halak won't play another game for us. I just trust them that they can trade him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: