Player Discussion: Moving Forward, Goalie Talk

Spybot

May 12, 2014
It gets progressively harder to tell who's kidding and who's not:laugh:

That aside, I don't think there are indications Snow's willing to go Greiss/Berube. Not enough games remaining to really test Berube anyway and it doesn't look like they ever were interested to really test him in the first place. He's not gonna bet on a career backup+unproven backup. Maybe he tries to trade Greiss while his value is relatively high? Or upgrade them all? Someone like Andersen is reportedly on the market. Pending RFA too, so that fits Snow's MO, wonder what the price could be.

Or just go with 3 (4, 5) goalies again, because hey whatever, why not.

Last edited:

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I am honestly very surprised that there seems to be so much confusion (among posters here) about the goalie situation. I thought it was very clear, since the Isles carried Berube on IR first, then on the roster once it expanded, that the Isles valued J-F Berube as a prospect/insurance policy for this season.

The Isles obviously saw something they liked in Berube and were not going to take the same chance as the Kings and expose him to waivers. There was the very good chance that a young, rebuilding team or a team unhappy with its current backup would claim him and give him a few games to tryout and prove his worth.

The Isles had the luxury, since they have plenty of cap space, to keep him around as insurance this season. Not every team could comfortably do that. It made complete sense given: 1. Halak's injury history, 2. Greiss' inexperience as a full-time starter if Halak were to go down for an extended period of time, and 3. they probably wanted a tandem of Stephon Williams and Christopher Gibson in the AHL for a full season.

I really believe the Isles did not want to rush Stephon Williams (but give him a full season in the minors) and were not sure what they had in Gibson and wanted to evaluate him over the course of a full year and have stability in the crease at the AHL level. Keeping Berube around answered all of the above questions and concerns at both the NHL and AHL levels.

I assume the Isles will evaluate the Greiss/Berube tandem the rest of the way and, in the off season, clean up the goalie situation. They will decide which players gives them the best chance to win now, who are the best long-term prospects, then trade, waive or loan out whoever doesn't fit.

We are very lucky to have such interesting depth built up in the system and the Isles can afford to wait until after the season to make a call on personnel. For now, let's hope that ALL of the goalies get healthy (Halak) or stay healthy, play well and either make it very hard for the Isles to make a decision while also increasing their respective value(s) for a trade to help elsewhere.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It gets progressively harder to tell who's kidding and who's not:laugh:

That aside, I don't think there are indications Snow's willing to go Greiss/Berube. Not enough games remaining to really test Berube anyway and it doesn't look like they ever were interested to really test him in the first place. He's not gonna bet on a career backup+unproven backup. Maybe he tries to trade Greiss while his value is relatively high? Or upgrade them all? Someone like Andersen is reportedly on the market. Pending RFA too, so that fits Snow's MO, wonder what the price could be.

Or just go with 3 (4, 5) goalies again, because hey whatever, why not.

Just to clarify, do you mean Craig Anderson? If so, he is not going to be an RFA but is signed through 2017-18, then an UFA after that in 2018-19. I believe Anderson carries a $4.2 million cap hit next year and is going to be 35-years old in a couple months.

Given the combination of his age, salary and stats; at least in my opinion, Anderson is probably a lateral move to Halak or only a slight upgrade at best. Unless it is essentially a swap of Halak for Anderson to net salary and not have to give up any premium assets or trade chips, then I would prefer that the Isles either look to significantly upgrade in goal (bringing in a clear-cut, top-10 goalie) or go cheap in net.

It would be a gamble but some combination of Greiss/Berube/Williams, assuming of course that the Greiss/Berube tandem doesn't bottom out the rest of this season, and that the Isles feel comfortable in Williams development can at least be a serviceable backup in the NHL if called upon next season, then look to use the cap savings to add a top forward or defender.

The good news is that the Isles have quality depth and options available, which they will probably determine after weighing all of the evidence after this season and gauging the value of the various goalies under contract to other teams, then make a call further down the line.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Just to clarify, do you mean Craig Anderson? If so, he is not going to be an RFA but is signed through 2017-18, then an UFA after that in 2018-19. I believe Anderson carries a $4.2 million cap hit next year and is going to be 35-years old in a couple months.

Given the combination of his age, salary and stats; at least in my opinion, Anderson is probably a lateral move to Halak or only a slight upgrade at best. Unless it is essentially a swap of Halak for Anderson to net salary and not have to give up any premium assets or trade chips, then I would prefer that the Isles either look to significantly upgrade in goal (bringing in a clear-cut, top-10 goalie) or go cheap in net.

It would be a gamble but some combination of Greiss/Berube/Williams, assuming of course that the Greiss/Berube tandem doesn't bottom out the rest of this season, and that the Isles feel comfortable in Williams development can at least be a serviceable backup in the NHL if called upon next season, then look to use the cap savings to add a top forward or defender.

The good news is that the Isles have quality depth and options available, which they will probably determine after weighing all of the evidence after this season and gauging the value of the various goalies under contract to other teams, then make a call further down the line.

No, I mean Frederik Andersen. He's young, pretty good, but Gibson appears to be the goalie of the future for the Ducks. I heard rumors they might be shopping Andersen. Really just throwing out ideas.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Just to clarify, do you mean Craig Anderson?

AndersOn was available in the past, but I think he meant AndersEn in Anaheim.
But Andersen isn't better than Greiss, is 5 years younger, he would be much more expensive. I also doubt that he's available, makes no sense to trade him, Gibson isn't that good at the moment.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
The legendary insider chimes in.

@brettborz
@StapeNewsday what do you think berube's long term status with isles will be?

@StapeNewsday
@brettborz I think he's here to stay. You could be looking at the next No. 1 goaltender.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
It feels like yesterday we had the legendary combination of Yann Danis & Joey Mac. Suddenly we are loaded with real goaltenders.

Is Staple serious, drunk, half kidding, 100% sarcastic?

Spybot

May 12, 2014
It feels like yesterday we had the legendary combination of Yann Danis & Joey Mac. Suddenly we are loaded with real goaltenders.

Is Staple serious, drunk, half kidding, 100% sarcastic?

Staple is throwing around some real lava takes right now. Berube will get signed, Halak is done as an Islander. Well then.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
Berube fits the bill as a future Number 1, the way he's been groomed.

-He's not too young, not too old.
-Played a few years in the AHL
-Obviously management has confidence in him to not let him go. He's probably seen more NHL caliber rubber in practice this season than Greiss & Halak combined, being the 1st and last goalie on for Gameday and regular skates.
-In a small sample size, he doesn't seem to get rattled wether coming in relief or starting against Sidney Crosby after not starting for 5 weeks. That shows he's got a good mental make-up. That could be the difference between him and other goalies with his skill set floating around the minors.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Staple is throwing around some real lava takes right now. Berube will get signed, Halak is done as an Islander. Well then.

And:
- They'll try to move Bailey
- They'll try to move Grabbo
- They'll take a F back for Hamonic, and he thinks it'll be from Edmonton
- They will get JT a wing

So Bailey+Grabbo+Hamonic+2016 1st+2017 1st+MDC for Eberle.

And:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Funny. I thought I made a timely thread. Mod(s) folded it into a sarcastic thread, then we are treated to this from Staple today. Staple can be very wrong, but if he is not...

What then? I guess it would mean Garth is keeping an eye on the cap and our goaltenders.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
The reason for all this is because Berube works hahd. The logic checks out I guess.

@J_ferns97 I could see him and Greiss splitting games next season. Or I could see Berube grabbing the reins. Kid works his rear end off.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
First off, it's just what Staple thinks. It's not necessarily what's going to happen.

Second, from a hockey fan's perspective I don't like it. It's too risky to trade Halak. I'd rather move Greiss for a Talbot-like return and have Jaro/JF as our tandem next year.

Third, the only two teams that I can see needing Jaro would be the Flames and the Jets. Can't imagine we'd get a good return for him without moving Hamonic with him. If it's to the Jets, we'd have to take a goaltender back.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
First off, it's just what Staple thinks. It's not necessarily what's going to happen.

Second, from a hockey fan's perspective I don't like it. It's too risky to trade Halak. I'd rather move Greiss for a Talbot-like return and have Jaro/JF as our tandem next year.

Third, the only two teams that I can see needing Jaro would be the Flames and the Jets. Can't imagine we'd get a good return for him without moving Hamonic with him. If it's to the Jets, we'd have to take a goaltender back.

Staple says they'd just get whatever they can for him. Move him primarily to shed a contract. He's REALLY high on Berube.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

It's obvious Halak is breaking down - the reason the Isles have to carry an extra goalie. So, another team can use him and groom a younger goalie underneath that can get 20-35 games in. Isles can't do that and if they believe Berube is the real deal, well, good for them.

Martin Jones looks like a very smart move for SJ, albeit Lack looks like a poor one for CAR.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad