OT: Movie Thread

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I watched Lift on Netflix last night. Meh. Why does Kevin Hart keep thinking he's an action star? Just stick to what you're good at.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Our science teacher just brought this to me. He let me know that it would really tie the room together.
IMG_8613.jpeg

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
The Academy got it right with the nominations.

For the amount of whining on social media over Greta Gerwig and Margot Rbbie being "snubbed" they weren't. Gerwig is nominated under Best Adapted Screenplay and Robbie is nominated for Best Picture as a producer.

Best Picture

Supporting Actor

Supporting Actress

Leading Actor

Leading Actress

Director

Song

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I watched Lift on Netflix last night. Meh. Why does Kevin Hart keep thinking he's an action star? Just stick to what you're good at.
I'm sure it's just guaranteed money that he can't pass up, and part of it is him trying to put his name and likeness onto as many projects as possible. He will forever be the little fast talking comedian. Usually very good when he's staying in his lane, despite Katt Williams hating him.

Reactions: Alicat

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Society of the Snow. 10/10. Incredible movie ( streaming right not on Netflix )

I remember growing up in the 90s, the controversy over the movie Alive got which ended up getting the book temporarily banned in my school library. But for whatever reason, It by Stephen King never got looked at ( if you know, you know ).

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Society of the Snow. 10/10. Incredible movie ( streaming right not on Netflix )

I remember growing up in the 90s, the controversy over the movie Alive got which ended up getting the book temporarily banned in my school library. But for whatever reason, It by Stephen King never got looked at ( if you know, you know ).
Is it that much different/better than Alive? It's on the list and I do wanna see it, but it's pretty damn long and I have a feeling the opening sequence will be too much for me.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Is it that much different/better than Alive? It's on the list and I do wanna see it, but it's pretty damn long and I have a feeling the opening sequence will be too much for me.

It's been a long time since I watched Alive while this one is more fresh in my mind so I couldn't say. The actors in Society in the Snow actually went and did the Christian Bale thing and went on extreme diets to look the part.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Babajingo

The Academy got it right with the nominations.

For the amount of whining on social media over Greta Gerwig and Margot Rbbie being "snubbed" they weren't. Gerwig is nominated under Best Adapted Screenplay and Robbie is nominated for Best Picture as a producer.

Best Picture

Supporting Actor

Supporting Actress

Leading Actor

Leading Actress

Director

Song

Godzilla minus one only got one nomination for special effects (not even foreign film) I know the academy wouldn't nominate a Godzilla movie even if Kurosawa directed it, Mayazaki wrote it and Olivier/Streep were the stars.
Sorry, but it was one of the best films of the year. I don't know why they don't listen to me. I know what I'm talking about :)

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Watched Lift on Netflix. It's not good. It's a poor man's Oceans 11 mixed with a poor man's Italian Job, with characters that have absolutely zero background and are not likable whatsoever. Kevin Hart also doesn't work as the mastermind of an elaborate heist. I kept waiting for the screaming and the comedy from him, and it never happens. He tries to be Mark Wahlberg and George Clooney and fails miserably. The last 2 minutes of the movie are fine, but otherwise it's a mess. I mean, they highlight Vincent D'onofrio in the beginning with a slow mo sizzle reel, telling us he is "the master of disguises" or something...and then his involvement in the ENTIRETY OF THE MOVIE is just that he's there. He doesn't ever do anything, and maybe has 3 minutes of screen time, total. There is never any payoff involving his master of disguise.

I also saw the Brawl in Cell Block 99 with Vince Vaughn. The best part was realizing about half way through that Smalls (yes, the Sandlot kid) plays a pretty big part in this one. Again, there's little to no background on characters. Guy goes to prison. Guy gets black mailed into doing bad things in prison. Violence ensues. It's also about 45 minutes longer than it needed to be. There's a little bit of gore to it, and Vince Vaughn looks to be about 7 feet tall at times, which if that's your thing it might be worth a watch. Ultimately, I'd skip it.

Thumbs down for both.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

Carl Weathers, Apollo Creed in the Rocky Films, Dies at 76

His credits also included roles in ‘Predator’, ‘Happy Gilmore’ and ‘The Mandalorian.’
the former NFL player who made his mark in Hollywood as the boxer Apollo Creed in the first four Rocky films and with appearances in such other projects as Predator, Happy Gilmore and The Mandalorian, has died. He was 76.
Weathers died Thursday in his sleep at his home in Los Angeles, his manager Matt Luber, announced in a statement.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This has to be one of the more entertaining movie reviews I've ever read.

Matthew Vaughn is a weird case. Much of his earlier work - Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class, and the first Kingsman film - was very very good. But since then he's made three straight utterly horrendous movies. Don't know if he just started to believe his own hype, got complacent, or is trying too hard to 'outdo' his previous stuff, but it's a sudden and dramatic fall for someone who really had something good and fairly distinctive going there for a while.

Reactions: Seidenbergy

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Carl Weathers, Apollo Creed in the Rocky Films, Dies at 76

His credits also included roles in ‘Predator’, ‘Happy Gilmore’ and ‘The Mandalorian.’
the former NFL player who made his mark in Hollywood as the boxer Apollo Creed in the first four Rocky films and with appearances in such other projects as Predator, Happy Gilmore and The Mandalorian, has died. He was 76.
Weathers died Thursday in his sleep at his home in Los Angeles, his manager Matt Luber, announced in a statement.

Unreal.

I’m dedicating my play at Sunday Night men’s league to Chubbs’ memory.

Reactions: JAD

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Matthew Vaughn is a weird case. Much of his earlier work - Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class, and the first Kingsman film - was very very good. But since then he's made three straight utterly horrendous movies. Don't know if he just started to believe his own hype, got complacent, or is trying too hard to 'outdo' his previous stuff, but it's a sudden and dramatic fall for someone who really had something good and fairly distinctive going there for a while.

I loved Kickass.

I must say, I also love the Roger Ebert quote (from his review of the Rob Reiner flick, North) featured in the Globe's dismemberment of Argyle,

"I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate this movie. I hate it."

All the negative review you'll ever need.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I finally got around to watching The Marvels.

The best I can say about it is that it was no worse than Love and Thunder or Quantumania.

Completely forgettable.

Kamala Kahn screamed more than Willie Scott in Temple of Doom.

Phase 5 MCU has been trash. I didn’t especially care for Guardians of the Galaxy 3, either.

Loki was pretty good, though and here’s to hoping Deadpool can turn the tide.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
Watched The Seventh Seal a while back. Excellent 50s movie based in Medieval Scandinavia with amazing camera angles and lighting.

Reactions: GordonHowe

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Godzilla minus one only got one nomination for special effects (not even foreign film) I know the academy wouldn't nominate a Godzilla movie even if Kurosawa directed it, Mayazaki wrote it and Olivier/Streep were the stars.
Sorry, but it was one of the best films of the year. I don't know why they don't listen to me. I know what I'm talking about :)
Easily.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I finally got around to watching The Marvels.

The best I can say about it is that it was no worse than Love and Thunder or Quantumania.

Completely forgettable.

Kamala Kahn screamed more than Willie Scott in Temple of Doom.

Phase 5 MCU has been trash. I didn’t especially care for Guardians of the Galaxy 3, either.

Loki was pretty good, though and here’s to hoping Deadpool can turn the tide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad