Can’t recommend this movie enough

1695588386474.jpeg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Saw the new Napoleon movie.

Didn’t hate it, but it was very bizarre and disjointed.

Thanks for the review.

I may bother, I may not. I like Ridley Scott, and JP is, well, JP.

Bonaparte is an interesting case. I visited his tomb at

I stood precisely where Hitler stood in 1940,

1700692750774.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Finally saw Everything Everywhere All at Once.

Very good.

Rewatched The Godfather.

Masterpiece.

Rewatched Godfather Part II.

Very good movie.

Many critics believe Part II is actually better. I've actually never watched either all the way through, so no humble opinion here.

Looking forward to viewing Everything All At Once.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Saw the new Napoleon movie.

Didn’t hate it, but it was very bizarre and disjointed.
I haven't seen it yet, but I think its impossible to tell that story in a 2hr movie. There's simply too much to cover in too little time.

That's a subject more suited for a miniseries IMHO.

Everything All at Once was a lot of fun. Very good movie.
I saw it, and I enjoyed it. However it gave me a headache. I'm not a fan of the alternate reality schtick..

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I haven't seen it yet, but I think its impossible to tell that story in a 2hr movie. There's simply too much to cover in too little time.

That's a subject more suited for a miniseries IMHO.

I saw it, and I enjoyed it. However it gave me a headache. I'm not a fan of the alternate reality schtick..

I'm not going to see it. For starters you're right, it's not possible to effectively cover such a life in so short a time. The French-made Napoleon mini-series from about 20 years ago had a decent crack over the course of 6+ hours and did a reasonable job of it, despite a relatively small budget, but even that had to cut quite a few corners.

And from what I've read some of the characterizations and depictions of events in the film are miles wide of the mark. I don't expect full historical accuracy in these things, but changes from the reality that are plain lazy or seem to have no real justification should be avoided. Casting a 49-year-old man to portray someone who's career started at 24 and was done by the time he was 45 probably wasn't the smartest decision either. So I think I'll save my money.

I'm not sure any biopic that tries to cover a large portion of a person's life has ever been very good. I much prefer a film like Spielberg's excellent Lincoln that hones in on one or two particular episodes and uses those to make a thoughtful character study of the subject. Oppenheimer was more expansive but was still built largely around a couple of key periods in his story. That's the way to go IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad