GDT: Movember 3rd - Flames @ Blackhawks [5:30pm on Sportsnet West]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I am really excited to see what Berra can do, but I hate the Hawks so I'll have beer in close proximity for this one. GFG!

CPRSRPUNKS

Jul 10, 2010
6- 1 Hawks. Watch. I love the flames, but this doesn't end well. In fact, it ends very badly.
Cammy scores the lone goal on a PP.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I was also a big-time advocate of Russell when we got him, so let me share in the glory!

Of course, I was also a big-time advocate of Shane O'Brien, so I'm batting .500.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Chicago Blackhawks take aim at their longest winning streak of the season on Sunday when they host the Calgary Flames in a battle at the United Center.

Chicago has scored five goals or more in winning each of its past three games to match another three-game run this season from Oct. 11-15. The defending Stanley Cup champions also have suffered just one regulation loss over their last 11 contests, going 8-1-2 during that stretch.

After pounding the Jets by a 5-1 score in Winnipeg on Saturday, the Blackhawks return home to face a Flames team they have dominated in recent years. Calgary has lost 10 straight in Chicago and hasn't earned a victory in the Windy City since beating the Blackhawks, 4-2, on March 16, 2008.

TSN

Might as well move Backlund to wing or trade him for a young (<24) defensemen if they're just going to put him in a position to fail. Should be interesting to see how Berra does, Hartley's certainly tossing him in the deep end right away.

Mikael Backlund, after being scratched Wednesday, returned Friday as the fourth-line centre.

In little more than eight minutes of ice time, he was plus-one, with a takeaway. He won four of his seven faceoffs.

“The minutes I gave him, it’s pretty unfair for me to judge Backs’ game,” said Hartley. “You see him work. I have lots of time for Backs. It’s a matter of keep working hard, keeping a positive attitude, which he has. He’ll be fine.”

The coach added that newcomers Sean Monahan, 19, and Joe Colborne, 23, are cutting into Backlund’s workload.

“It’s part of the battle,” said Hartley. “That’s what I told him, ‘Monahan and Colborne came in and kind of stole some of your ice time.’ That’s the competitive nature of this business. I told him, ‘You have to fight back. You have to push back.’ That’s his challenge.”
Calgary Herald

I disagree with Colborne being better but at least Hartley acknowledges the limitations of judging a player based on ~8 minutes a night.

Last edited:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Will be cool to see monahan against toews, should be good for him to play one of his idols.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
TSN

Might as well move Backlund to wing or trade him for a young (<24) defensemen if they're just going to put him in a position to fail. Should be interesting to see how Berra does, Hartley's certainly tossing him in the deep end right away.

Calgary Herald

I disagree with Colborne being better but at least Hartley acknowledges the limitations of judging a player based on ~8 minutes a night.

Yes, its nice to hear that acknowledgement. At the very least, Backs should be getting special teams time.to prove himself.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I was remembering Khabi are still being dominate against us, but checking the numbers, we've actually beat him 7 games in a row now. Turning around his previous 23-7-1 against us.

It looks like Crawford will be doing the back-to-back though.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm calling it now Backlund for Gardiner.

Leaf fans would rage at that but I'd, and I assume the majority of Flames fans would be okay with it. Bolland's out for most of the season and may not even re-sign with them. Backlund's strong two way play would likely appeal to Carlyle, so good chance he'd get more of an opportunity there. Plus he's cheap. Flames obviously need a player like Gardiner.

But I'd bet the Leafs would ask for Baertschi if the Flames wanted Gardiner.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd do Backlund for Gardiner. I like Backlund better, but if he's going to be used like this, that kind of deal makes sense.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'd do Backlund for Gardiner. I like Backlund better, but if he's going to be used like this, that kind of deal makes sense.

Yeah, it does. But there's some teams that lack centre depth and have defensive depth. Pheonix and Nashville come to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad